Moving from Arizona to Houston, TX: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The average cost to move from Arizona to Houston, TX ranges from $812 to $6,333. Moving costs will vary based on the amount of stuff being moved, the time of year, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself.
Moving out of state can feel overwhelming. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know for your move to Houston, TX. But just in case you’re short on time, here are a few quick resources to get immediate answers.
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Houston, TX to Arizona guide.
- How much will your move cost?: Want to narrow down how much your move will cost? Use our moving cost calculator to get more specific price ranges and recommendations on the best companies to use for your move.
- Best Arizona to Houston, TX movers: If you plan on hiring a moving company be sure to check out our list of the top movers from Arizona to Houston, TX.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Arizona to Houston, TX car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Okay, let’s talk about moving costs.
How much does it cost to move from Arizona to Houston, TX?
The table below lays out average cost ranges for different moving services depending on the size of your home.
|Size of the Move||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,222 - $4,939||$909 - $2,220||$751 - $1,431|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,678 - $6,333||$1,628 - $3,257||$812 - $1,701|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,492 - $8,469||$2,202 - $4,304||$1,020 - $2,071|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,125 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Arizona to Houston, TX will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Arizona to Houston, TX Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire movers from Arizona to Houston, TX?
To ship furniture from Arizona to Houston with a mover will cost between $1,222 to $4,939. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home from Houston to TX will range from $2,678 to $6,333, and a large move from Arizona to Houston will cost from $4,492 to $8,469.
How much are moving containers like PODS from Arizona to Houston, TX?
Moving pods from Arizona to Houston will cost you $909 to $2,220 for a small move. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,628 to $3,257. A 4-bedroom move or bigger will cost $2,202 to $4,304.
How much is a moving truck from Arizona to Houston, TX?
A moving rental truck is generally the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $751 to $1,431. A larger move will cost $812 to $1,701, and a 4+ bedroom move from Arizona to Houston costs from $1,020 to $2,071.
How to ship a car from Arizona to Houston, TX
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable AZ to Houston, TX car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Arizona to Houston, TX a good idea?
Cost of Living: Arizona vs Houston, TX
|Average rent cost||$1,052||$1,242|
|Average home value||$407,715||$243,875|
|Average income (per capita)||$58,945||$62,076|
|State Income Tax||4.5%||0.0%|
Houston sources: Zumper, Zillow, Numbeo
- Rent is about 18% more expensive in Houston than in Arizona.
- Home prices are about 40.2% lower in Houston than in Arizona.
- The average income is about 5.3% higher in Houston than in Arizona.
- Houston has a higher unemployment rate than Arizona by about 17.1%.
- Income taxes are 100.00% lower in Houston than in Arizona.
How is life different in Houston from Arizona?
|Political leaning||Democrat 56-43||Democrat 49-49|
Houston sources: Wikipedia, AllTransit, Walk Score, NeighborhoodScout, AirNow
- The population of Houston is approximately 68% lower than the population of Arizona.
- In the last presidential election, Houston voted Democrat and Arizona voted Democrat.
- The average high in the summertime in Houston is 94ºF and in Arizona, it’s 99ºF.
- During the coldest part of the year, Houston reaches the temperature of 43ºF and Arizona gets down to 34ºF.
- You can expect about 53 inches of annual rainfall in Houston vs 12 inches of rainfall in Arizona.
- In Houston, it snows about 0 inches annually vs 6 inches of snow in Arizona.
- Houston has a higher crime rate than Arizona with a crime index of 55.87 vs 28.15.
Considerations for moving to Houston, TX
- Weather: Houston's weather is moderate to hot year-round but hurricane season in the late summer months may affect your move..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: One common and important example of something that should be handled ahead of time is reserving the building's elevator and finding out their rules for using the elevator.
- Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles, find out ahead of time with your new local rules.
- State Licensing: In-state movers operating in the Lone Star State are legally required to be licensed by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TXDMV), which issues 10-digit TXDMV numbers to commercial carriers. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Texas moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Texas does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Texas. Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Peace of mind is priceless. Our moving checklist will help you know you’ve got everything covered.
Looking for local Arizona movers?
|Gilbert Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
6056 E Baseline Rd Suite 149, Mesa, AZ, 85206
|Just-In Time Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
4627 E Ivy St, Mesa, AZ, 85205
|Camelback Moving||Get A Quote||
2330 North 31st Avenue, Phoenix, AZ, 85009
Visit our Best Movers in Arizona page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Comparing the pros of Arizona vs. Houston, TX:
There are always a lot of reasons to get excited about living somewhere new. These are the best parts of living in Arizona vs Houston side-by-side.
|Pros of living in Arizona||Pros of living in Houston, TX|
|Ample economic opportunity||Bountiful arts and recreational activities|
|Pleasant weather||Ample economic opportunity|
|Abundant recreational opportunities||Delicious seafood|
|No traffic||Affordable housing|
Comparing the cons of living in Arizona vs. Houston, TX:
Not everything is sunshine and rainbows, these are the things to be aware of when leaving Arizona for Houston.
|Cons of living in Arizona||Cons of living in Houston, TX|
|Extreme weather||Tropical storms|
|Barren desert land||Heat and humidity|
|Health hazards||Terrible traffic|
|Problematic people and politics||Limited public transportation|
|No winter||High crime rate|
Need a local Houston mover?
|Get A Quote||
222 North 66th Street, Houston, TX, 77011
|3 Men Movers||Get A Quote||
6805 Sands Point Drive, Houston, TX, 77074
|All My Sons Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
9550 West Wingfoot Road, Houston, TX, 77041
Visit our Best Movers in Houston page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in Houston?
Whether you’re looking for parks, museums, sports, or even universities, you’ll be happy to find a plethora of these in Houston.
Museums in Houston
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Children’s Museum of Houston
- The Menil Collection
- Houston Museum of Natural Science
- Holocaust Museum Houston
- Houston Museum of African American Culture
- The Health Museum
- Contemporary Arts Museum Houston
- Buffalo Soldiers National Museum
- Czech Center Museum Houston
Parks in Houston
- Hermann Park
- Terry Hershey Park
- Lake Houston Park
- Memorial Park
- Tranquility Park
- Sesquicentennial Park
- Discovery Green
- Buffalo Bayou Park
- Sam Houston Park
Sports Teams in Houston
- Houston Texans (NFL)
- Houston Astros (MLB
- Houston Dash (NWSL)
- Houston Dynamo FC (MLS)
- Houston Rockets (NBA)
- Houston SaberCats (MLR)
Universities in Houston
- Houston Community College
- San Jacinto College
- University of Houston
- University of Houston - Downtown
- Texas Southern University
- University of Houston - Clear Lake Public
- Rice University
- The University of Texas
- University of St. Thomas
- Houston Baptist University
- Remington College - North Houston Campus
- Remington College
- College of Biblical Studies
Where to move to in Houston, TX?
Now that you've decided to make the move to "HOU," these are the best neighborhoods in Houston to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Greenway/Upper Kirby
- Museum District
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Clear Lake City
- Sugar Land
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Houston
- New York City to Houston
- Chicago to Houston
- Phoenix to Houston
- Philadelphia to Houston
- San Diego to Houston
- San Jose to Houston
- Jacksonville to Houston
- Columbus to Houston
- Indianapolis to Houston
Learn more about Houston, TX
- What Is The Cost To Move In Houston?
- What Is The Cost To Move To Texas?
- Tips On Moving to Houston, TX: Relocation Guide
- Best Moving Companies in Texas
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!