Even hard workers tend to agree that heavy lifting and manual labor stink.
Thankfully, whether you need a handyman or help moving heavy objects into a new home, a new apartment, storage unit, or U-Haul truck, you can rely on TaskRabbit no matter where you live, even if you have a smaller budget.
As an online marketplace specializing in connecting workers called “taskers” with those who need work done in their home or business, its independent contractors provide various hourly moving services.
While we generally recommend hiring a full-service, interstate moving company if you’re moving long-distance or have a significant amount of belongings, it’s always helpful to know about your other alternatives.
In recent years, sites like TaskRabbit and Hire-a-Helper have risen in popularity, and for a good reason. They’re often less expensive, more flexible, and available on shorter notice.
Let’s dive into some of their benefits, and when it’s a good idea to choose them over another type of moving company.
TaskRabbit Movers and the Covid-19 Pandemic
Minimizing contact with strangers during the coronavirus pandemic makes good sense.
To that end, TaskRabbit now offers a variety of contactless tasks and services.
In addition, They are not waiving cancellation fees due to illness as long as they’re made at least 24 hours in advance of the original service date.
Moving Services Offered on TaskRabbit
Moving options on TaskRabbit include –
- Packing and unpacking
- Hauling and delivery service
- Connecting and disconnecting electronics and appliances
- Gym equipment assembly and disassembly
- Television mounting and installation
- Moving boxes by van or pickup truck
- Moving heavy furniture within a business, home, or walk-up apartment
- Furniture assembly and disassembly (both traditional and IKEA furniture)
Pros/Cons of Using TaskRabbit
Between work, school, and extracurricular activities, most families have precious little time these days.
In other words, convenience and efficiency are key.
Online marketplaces like TaskRabbit can’t guarantee that each and every user will get top-notch service. Still, it’s definitely worth checking out for its ease of use, abundant services, and vetted providers.
That said, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of using TaskRabbit.
- The website is easy to navigate
- Prices tend to be reasonable
- Same-day service may be available
- Customers can compare rates and reviews before buying
- You can make payments directly on the company’s secure website
- Moving services are usually less expensive than they are with full-service moving companies
- Tasker bios show tenure, availability, hourly rate, reviews, and types of vehicles offered
- Insurance isn’t available
- The quality of service can be inconsistent
- Services are only available in a limited number of places like New York City (NYC), Portland, San Diego, and Los Angeles (but their coverage area is growing)
- Vetting individual providers doesn’t guarantee good service
Our Top 5 Long Distance Movers of 2021
500 interstate moving companies, 3 months of research, cross-referenced reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records.
2021 Best Moving Containers & Storage Companies
We spent 260 hours researching moving container and storage companies to find the best prices, best customer service, and fastest deliveries so you don't have to.
HireAHelper – A Great Alternative
If you’re considering using TaskRabbit for convenience or cost, you might also consider using HireAHelper. HireAHelper is like the Uber of moving and home services.
In our full HireAHelper company review we found that customers had a great experience with the company when it came to smaller scale moves. They also have a great support staff and policies in place that protect their customers.
For more than a decade, they’ve been connecting customers with everything from mobile storage containers and rental trucks to movers, packers, and cleaners.
HireAHelper’s website is easy to use, but the company features several additional benefits that make it a clear winner in a head-to-head comparison.
Features and Benefits of Using HireAHelper
- Services are available in all 50 states
- US-based customer service representatives are available for live support seven days a week
- All moving service providers must comply with CDC and WHO Covid-19 protocols
- There’s no penalty for services canceled at least 24 hours in advance
- They notify customers by text 1 hour before their crew’s arrival
- Many of their services include damage coverage so that customers aren’t responsible for injuries to workers
- HireAHelper has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Unlike local moves, long-distance moves require different service providers at origin and destination
- Packing material and furniture pads may need to be provided by the customer
- Workers cannot drive vehicles (cars and trucks) owned or rented by customers
- They usually only include one flight of stairs in moving quotes (more stairs equals higher cost)
- They do not accept cash and checks as payment
- Customer’s credit cards are charged the day before their move, and they hold the amount in escrow until after they complete the service.
How to Use TaskRabbit
Getting multiple quotes from reviewed taskers on TaskRabbit is as easy as –
- Entering your location
- Choosing the service(s), you’re interested in
- Estimating the time, it’ll take to complete your project
- Providing other helpful details, like whether the tasker needs a car, van, or truck
TaskRabbit Insurance Options (There Aren’t Any)
There’s one glaring downside to TaskRabbit compared to HireAHelper.
While the latter offers customers multiple insurance options for many moving services, the former does not.
And since there’s no coverage for the work TaskRabbit’s taskers perform, you’ll generally have no recourse if things get damaged or go missing.
On the bright side, TaskRabbit does offer a Happiness Pledge which states that in some instances, it “may,” at its discretion, provide reimbursement for unresolved service-related issues.
But here’s the problem…
In the real world, such amorphous policies rarely offer customers little more than misplaced peace of mind.
Instead of crossing your fingers and hoping for the best, ask your insurance company if your renter or homeowner’s policy will cover moving.
TaskRabbit’s Vetting Process
Who will actually help me move?
Will they be professionals?
They’re important questions, and TaskRabbit takes them seriously.
To that end, the company vets all taskers with identity and background checks and either in-person or online interviews.
Taskers that make the grade are permitted on the site on a probationary basis, pending the accumulation of good reviews.
If reviews and service scores aren’t up to snuff, the tasker’s ranking drops, and if things don’t improve, eventually, they’ll be kicked off the site altogether.
That means that each tasker bidding on your project went through a vetting process and was reviewed favorably by most of the customers they’ve served.
Of course, even the best taskers can arrive late, show up with the wrong equipment, or inadvertently damage your items or residence, but the risks aren’t any greater than they are with professional movers.
Though it’s popular with those who need items packed, hauled, and moved, TaskRabbit isn’t a one-trick pony.
In fact, many repeat customers use their taskers regularly for non-moving-related services like –
- Picture hanging
- TV mounting
- Shopping assistance
- Donation pick up and drop-off
- Decluttering and disposal
- Yard Work like raking leaves and cleaning gutters
TaskRabbit Moving Services Review – The Verdict
Should you use TaskRabbit to help with your move?
After all, their taskers provide a variety of reasonably priced services in cities and towns all over the country, and many have tons of stellar reviews.
But as previously mentioned, HireAHelper may be a better alternative for several reasons.
If you’ve got the time, check them both out and decide for yourself.
Or, if you’re wondering how much more it would cost you to hire a professional moving company, you can compare the prices of top movers in your area using our moving cost calculator.
11 Tips for a Successful Move
1. Weigh the benefits of drawbacks of DIY moves and full-service movers versus online marketplaces like TaskRabbit and HireAHelper before deciding which is best.
2. Ask friends, family, and coworkers for recommendations before choosing a provider.
3. Booking early means you’ll pay less, especially during the peak summer months between May and August.
4. Tasks like moving and hauling that require a vehicle are generally more expensive than those like packing and cleaning that don’t.
5. Top-rated providers usually appear at the top of search results, but relative newcomers may offer better deals to attract new customers, so consider them as well.
6. Taking time to read reviews is a great way to lessen the likelihood of having a bad experience.
7. Keep an eye out for service providers with tags like “Best Value” or “Elite,” which generally mean they have years of experience and lots of successful jobs under their belts.
8. If possible, cancel services at least 24 hours before your move date to avoid penalties.
9. If you’re unsure how long your move or project will take, estimate on the high side.
10. If you’re not getting the service you were expecting, don’t hesitate to contact the company or let the provider know that you weren’t satisfied with their performance and intend to write that in your review.
11. Keep in mind that TaskRabbit and HireAHelper workers and crews tend to be more suited to small moves and local moves.