HireAHelper Company Review
- HireAHelper is an online marketplace has been in operation for more than 10 years connecting prospective customers with providers of moving services, rental trucks, mobile storage containers, and more.
- In 2018, the organization was acquired by Porch, a company involved in the home improvement business.
- The platform is great; however, some of the movers that arrive are careless in loading items and will create damage to belongings and/or interior walls and floors.
Jump to the HireAHelper review section that you’re looking for:
HireAHelper is an online marketplace that has been in operation for more than 10 years. They connect prospective customers with providers of moving services, rental trucks, mobile storage containers, and more. In 2018, the organization was acquired by Porch, a company involved in the home improvement business.
The platform is great; however, some of the movers that arrive are careless in loading items and will create damage to belongings and/or interior walls and floors.
This platform is very flexible in how customers can choose the services they specifically need. This includes full-service moving or “hybrid” moving arrangements such as using labor only to load your truck. Moving service providers pay to advertise on HireAHelper to secure work.
HireAHelper functions as a facilitator in the process and the outcomes are based on the performance of a third-party company, local laborers, etc. In less populated areas, the available providers may be limited and they may not provide high-quality service.
This site could be compared to using Expedia or Travelocity for choosing flights, hotels, etc. The customer can simply compare prices and review the reputations of the potential providers at the same time.
- HireAHelper has customer service representatives in their Oceanside, CA call center 7 days a week for live support.
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the organization is waiving any related cancellation fees as needed and all moving service providers are asked to comply with guidelines published by the CDC and WHO.
- The network has now expanded to provide coverage throughout all 50 states
- No fees are charged for canceling a move when 24-hour notice is provided.
- On the day of the move, customers receive a text message that assigns them a one-hour window for mover arrival.
- Damage coverage is included for your belongings and customers are not liable for any potential injuries
- Long-distance moves will require two different sets of moving helpers. (origin and destination)
- Packing supplies and furniture pads must generally be provided by the customer
- Helpers are not permitted to drive trucks that you rent or own
- They don’t currently have any options for car transportation (vehicle) providers
What services does HireAHelper provide?
- Packing: They will professionally pack the items in preparation for a move.
- Loading & Unloading: Helpers are available for loading and unloading moving trucks, storage containers, freight trailers, and more.
- Furniture Moving: Some movers may need help moving larger and heavier items such as sofas, beds, etc. Most of these helpers do provide furniture assembly and disassembly services.
- Day Labor: Customers that are rearranging heavy items or setting up for events can hire laborers.
- Specialty Movers: Moving of certain items such as pianos isn’t offered by all movers and has different specialized pricing
- Rental Trucks: Compare prices among trucks of various sizes from leading providers such as Penske, U-Haul, and Budget. The sizes typically range from a cargo van to trucks between 10 and 26 feet long. In most cases, the estimated gas mileage of each vehicle will be posted.
- Semi-Trailer Rental: Large semi-trailer rental is available for large projects. These vehicles are typically 28 feet and are provided by companies including ABF, U-Pack, Estes SureMove, or Old Dominion. Typically, these rentals are exclusively for longer-distance moves and the trucks are always operated by a professional driver. Customers must determine if they have any limitations for parking these large vehicles at the origin or destination location.
- Corporate Relocation: Commercial moving isn’t the primary focus of the platform; however, these services are available.
- Moving Containers: Portable storage containers are available from companies such as PODS, Pack Rat, and U-Pack. The general sizes available range from 7 to 16 feet and they are composed of metal, steel, or plywood. Prices typically start at around $500. If loading containers yourself, you can request that it be delivered and parked onsite for several days before pickup.
- Military Relocation: Military members are encouraged to use the site regardless of whether they are in a PCS (permanent change of station) move or a PPM (personally procured) move.
- Comparing Prices: For each of the services offered, a potential customer can compare rates and read customer reviews. (see images)
Cost and Affordability
One day before the move date, the customer’s credit card is charged and the funds are held in an escrow account until the move is completed. Cash and checks are not accepted for payment. One flight of stairs is typically included in the price of labor, loading, and unloading with additional charges for more sets of stairs. HireAHelper includes a $1,000 Service Guarantee for each customer.
Freight Trailer Rental Price Ranges
Included: Trailer, mileage, fuel, tolls, professional driver, and ramp (**Note: Freight trailers are not a recommended option for local moves)
|Estimated Average Price Ranges|
|Local Moves**||$1,100 to $2,000|
|Medium Distance||$1,175 to $1,679|
|Long-Distance||$2,484 to $3,090|
Rental Truck (You Drive) Estimated Prices:
$155 for local, $225 short-distance, or $900+ for long-distance
Insurance/Property Damage Coverage
Customers are encouraged to understand coverage minimums, limits, and options.
- Released Value: This is coverage that is a federal requirement for all movers. The coverage is calculated as sixty cents (.60) per pound per item with a total maximum of $10,000. For example, a 40-pound television (40 x .60) that is damaged is eligible for a maximum of $24 in compensation.
- Full Value Protection: This is enhanced coverage available for purchase with different coverage limits, deductibles, etc. Rates begin at approximately $12 per $1,000 in coverage.
- Third-Party Insurance: Customer should check to see if their homeowner’s or rental insurance policy offers covers moving. If not, customers can contact an insurance company to purchase a policy for the moving project
Customer Reviews & Feedback
Hire A Helper LLC has an overall rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) of A+. The BBB has received a total of 24 complaints over the last three years and 17 in the last 12 months. The majority of the complaints resulted from damage to belongings that were being moved or property damage that occurred on the interior of the home during the loading or unloading. In each case, a manager from HireAHelper responded with a detailed assessment of the problem and sought to find an appropriate resolution.
They had more than 400 reviews on Facebook with an overall rating of 4.6 of 5. Many customers appreciated the ease and convenience of hiring laborers to pack and move their stuff. Several people praised the efficiency of the crew, stating that they came ready to work and finished sooner than was expected.
Among the negative reviews on Facebook, many resulted from movers that weren’t paying attention to the markings on the boxes such as “fragile” or “delicate.” Customers had trucks and mobile storage containers arrive where the load had not been tightly secured to prevent the belongings from shifting and falling.
Should You Consider HireAHelper for a Move?
HireAHelper offers a wide variety of services and options and is very easy to use. The primary drawback is that the outcome is ultimately determined by the performance of a third-party.
93% of users select this mover
- First call quoting, get a quote in just a couple of minutes
- Rates are typically 20-40% lower than the industry averages
- $1,000 money-back service guarantee
- Fast and accurate delivery times
- Free damage coverage with additional coverage options
93% of users select this mover
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!