Here’s the bottom line: American Van Lines has long been on our list of best long-distance movers, and for a good reason. Whether you are moving across town or to another state, American Van Lines offers a myriad of moving services that you can mix and match to design your perfect move.
With vehicle shipping services, full-service packing/unpacking services, and custom crating as just some of their available services, American Van Lines is here to help, and they are known for their budget-friendly upfront pricing.
While they unfortunately don’t service Alaska or Hawaii, there is almost nothing they don’t offer in the contiguous United States, even if you’re just looking to put your entire household in storage!
It’s clear to us why hundreds of movers choose to work with American Van Lines each year, and chances are, they might be the right moving company for you. Read on to discover more about American Van Lines, the services they offer, and how they stack up against the competition.
Pros and cons of moving with American Van Lines
- Comprehensive moving services allow you to move locally or cross-country
- Full-service packing services, which include custom climate-controlled crating options
- Short-term and long-term storage services available for an additional fee
- Storage service available
- Several discounts available, including military and senior discounts
- Military and senior discounts
- All employees are background-checked and drug tested before hire
- Flat-rate all-inclusive pricing available
- Not available in Alaska or Hawaii
- Requires a 50% deposit upfront via credit card based on your quote
- No online shipment tracking available
- American Van Lines (USDOT#614506) is a full-service company providing long-distance and local moves with competitive pricing.
- Their moving services cover just about anything you could ask for, from full-service packing and packing supplies to climate-controlled storage solutions for even the highest-value items.
- The company offers flat rate quotes, as well as military and senior discounts.
Jump to the American Van Lines info you’re looking for:
- American Van Lines pricing: How much it costs to move
- American Van Lines: Featured reviews
- American Van Lines offers a wide variety of services
- How American Van Lines stacks up against the competition
- How moving with American Van Lines works
- Should you use American Van Lines to move
American Van Lines pricing: How much it costs to move
The average cost of moving with American Van Lines is $3,948, but the final dollar amount you will pay will depend on the exact factors of your move and any extra services you wish to book. The larger your home and the more mileage included in your move, the more expensive it will be.
Additionally, moves during the busy summer months tend to cost more than those performed during the off-season, as do moves that include specialty crating and several high-value items.
American Van Lines has an online quote request form that gathers some basic information about your potential local or long-distance move, and a representative will follow up to complete the estimate process. Be aware, however, that phone quotes are just ballpark numbers, so the final cost may be more than what you were originally quoted unless you take the time to get a binding estimate.
Binding estimates, or flat-rate pricing, are an upfront exact dollar number that covers all aspects of your move and there shouldn’t be any hidden fees. For a binding estimate, an American Van Lines agent will need to come to your home and perform a walk-through to accurately predict the cost of your move.
Want an instant free quote for your move? Check out our moving cost calculator.
American Van Lines: Featured reviews
“I got quotes from PODS, U-Pack, and Safeway, but chose American Van Lines because of their amazing reviews and affordability. While my experience with American Van Lines wasn’t the best, because my items arrived past the delivery date, the company was communicative and offered me a partial refund due to the delay, and I would recommend American Van Lines to family and friends. Plus, all of my belongings arrive in pristine condition, which is something you can’t say about every moving company!” –Allison M.
“I used American Van Lines to move my partner and I from Columbia, Missouri, to Santa Clara, Utah, because they were one of the most affordable quotes I received. While I ended up paying over $1,000 more than the initial quote in the end, this was on me, as I ended up having more boxes than expected. Either way, the final cost of $4,816 for a 1,360-mile move came in at a lower price point than the competitors, so I’m glad I chose American Van Lines. There were a few issues during my move, mostly due to an American Van Lines partner delivering my items other than the carrier itself, but these issues were addressed by AVL, and I am satisfied with their resolution.” –Jen H.
“Overall, my move with American Van Lines was ok. The packers were on time and courteous, and the quote I received was almost exactly what I paid in the end. Movers (those who actually handled my items) were awesome!
While I felt that there could have been better communication between myself and American Van Lines, the communication I did have was courteous and informative. With a final cost of $4,140 for a 2,200-mile full-service move, I feel I got my money’s worth because the cost included loading and unloading.” –Phoenix
“I would recommend working with American Van Lines because of their excellent communication, professionalism, and timeliness. While I ended up paying quite a bit above my estimate, this is because I had to estimate what was in my storage unit over the phone, when I hadn’t seen the items in over two years. In the end, the move went very smoothly, even though a few last-minute problems arose. Either way, I would use American Van Lines again!” –Kathy
American Van Lines offers a wide variety of services
American Van Lines services include the following:
- Local moves: Those making local moves may appreciate affordable hourly rates, packing services, and customized crating options for household goods in a variety of cities across the United States.
- Long-distance moves: American Van Lines offers long-distance moves and interstate moving services nationwide, except to and from Alaska and Hawaii. For those who don’t want to do their own packing, there is a full moving package in which belongings are safely wrapped, packed, and inventoried before they are picked up on your moving date and taken to your new home via interstate shuttles.
- International moving: A personal moving coordinator will facilitate international moves and oversee your international moving services. They handle all customs documentation for your items, and storage services are available for items that can’t come to your new home.
- Military moves: Members of the military can book an in-home estimate, packing and unpacking services, packing materials, short- and long-term storage units, and furniture assembly and disassembly to make their move seamless. They can also benefit from a military discount on all relocation services.
- Commercial moving: American Van Lines offers assistance with relocating offices, including disassembling and reassembling furniture and commercial storage.
- Corporate relocation: With corporate service options, employee relocations couldn’t be any easier. Simply book a walk-through to have all items inventoried, sign off on the estimate, and your employee is on their way to their new position.
- Storage options: Safe, secure, and private storage units are available at their facilities, which have video surveillance, optional climate-controlled storage units, and fire and storm protection.
- Special item transport: Involves safely transporting valuable or challenging items to move, such as antiques, fine art, pool tables, and pianos.
- Moving boxes and supplies: A variety of packing and packing materials are available for purchase.
- Insurance: All items moved by American Van Lines are eligible for insurance coverage under their insurance policy. Some high-value items may require extra insurance which is available at a reasonable price.
How American Van Lines stacks up against the competition
There are many reasons customers choose American Van Lines over JK Moving, Allied Van Lines, International Van Lines, and Mayzlin Relocation, four of our best moving companies with excellent reputations that offer some of the same services, including full-service moves. Let’s take a look at some of the similarities, and differences, between these long-distance moving companies.
American Van Lines vs. JK Moving
Both American Van Lines and JK Moving offer customers a wide variety of moving services that can be mixed and matched to design your perfect move. Whether you want to pack on your own or have them pack for you, the choice is yours.
89% of users select this mover
Additionally, both companies offer local and long-distance moving services, though the local moving services with JK Moving are only available in the Virginia, Maryland, and Washington D.C. areas. Both companies serve all 48 states for long-distance moves, but only JK Moving services Hawaii and Alaska.
While American Van Lines is known for their affordable quotes, JK Moving is often referred to as a high-end moving company, meaning its quotes are frequently much higher than the competition. That being said, JK Moving has fewer damage reports and customer complaints than the industry average, so you know you are paying for high-quality moving services.
Customers who don’t mind paying extra for a more premium move experience will likely prefer JK Moving to American Van Lines. However, their prices aren’t for everyone, so those on a budget are better off choosing American Van Lines for a more affordable, customizable move.
American Van Lines vs. Allied Van Lines
American Van Lines and Allied Van Lines both offer a variety of types of moves. Whether you want full-service or prefer to pack your items yourself, either company is a decent choice.
89% of users select this mover
Allied Van Lines, however, has a much more extensive number of services to offer movers. Not only do they offer everything that American Van Lines does, but they also offer international moves to over 130 countries, as well as moves to and from Hawaii and Alaska. Additionally, Allied Van Lines has a moving container option similar to PODS, called Allied Express, which offers movers the ultimate DIY move option.
While Allied Van Lines offers more services than American Van Lines, their prices are often higher and not as accurate as quotes provided by American Van Lines.
Customers who are looking for a full-service move at a reasonable cost should choose American Van Lines. Those customers who want something a little more DIY, though, will likely find more of what they are looking for with Allied Van Lines — it just depends on the type of move you want.
American Van Lines vs. Mayzlin Relocation
American Van Lines and Mayzlin Relocation are moving companies that specialize in long-distance moves, and they both additionally offer local moving services. While both can help you move a large household, American Van Lines does have a minimum move size, so those with smaller moves should take a look at Mayzlin Relocation.
89% of users select this mover
American Van Lines is well known for their large service area, which includes the 48 contiguous United States. Mayzlin Relocation is a smaller company, however, and while they can service long-distance moves to any of the Lower 48 states, local moves are only available in North Carolina, Maryland, and parts of Texas, Florida, and California.
Most customers love the excellent communication they experience when working with Mayzlin Relocation, while some customers complain about the lack of communication when working with American Van Lines. But, while American Van Lines has an online quote tool, Mayzlin does not, meaning customers automatically have to speak with a customer service agent to book.
It is also worth noting that as solid as Mayzlin Relocation is, they don’t have the same custom crating or storage options that American Van Lines has, so movers who need those types of services will need to work with American Van Lines.
For customers who prioritize communication, Mayzlin Relocation is probably the better option, but because their service area is so restrictive, you can’t go wrong if you have to book American Van Lines instead!
American Van Lines vs. International Van Lines
American Van Lines and International Van Lines both offer local and long-distance moving services across the United States.
89% of users select this mover
Like American Van Lines, International Van Lines offers a myriad of additional services to improve your moving experience, whether you need car shipping or storage. Both companies also offer corporate relocation and military moves with a military discount.
The only major difference between the two moving companies is their online presence. While you can request an online quote with American Van Lines, those working with International Van Lines will need to call for a quote. This isn’t too much of a big deal, however, because remember that those booking with American Van Lines will also need to make a phone call before receiving their binding quote.
Additionally, while American Van Lines customers report some issues with communication, International Van Lines customer reviews report even more issues when it comes to contacting their movers. Regardless, customers of both companies report friendly movers who move their items in a professional and timely manner.
Overall, if communicating with your moving company regularly is important to you, then American Van Lines is the way to go. But if you are making an international move, or one to Hawaii or Alaska, then International Van Lines is the better option.
|American Van Lines
|48 states (not in AK or HI)
|All 50 states; limited local moves
|Allied Van Lines
|All 50 states
|All 50 states (for long-distance); limited local moves
|International Van Lines
|All 50 states
How moving with American Van Lines works
American Van Lines is one of the best moving companies in North America for a reason, known for their excellent customer service every step of the way. Before you hire American Van Lines, let’s take a look at what the moving process looks like.
Getting a quote
American Van Lines has an online quote system where you can get a bare-bones estimate of your moving costs. You’ll fill out a short form, and a representative will contact you with your quote.
Don’t get too attached to the quote you are given, however, as you will need possibly have a representative come to your home to receive a binding quote.
While it is possible to book with the initial quote given over the phone, know that this is an estimate only, and many customers state the amount they paid is much different than the original quote they were given.
We recommend calling the company directly and having an American Van Lines representative come to your home to make a binding quote to ensure you get the most accurate quote possible as you prepare for your move.
Booking the move
Once you have decided to use American Van Lines for your move, you’ll sign the binding estimate and set your date for your move.
Whether it is a large or small move, interstate moves or cross-country moves, American Van Lines has a massive network of trucks and drivers to get the job done and can usually accommodate any date or time you may need to plan your move on. Unlike some other companies, there are no extra fees for choosing weekend dates for your move.
During the entire booking process, you will speak directly with American Van Lines customer service and you can ask them any questions you may have. Don’t be shy, they are there to help! At this time, you will also be assigned a moving coordinator who will be your contact point during your move.
Packing and moving
If you have opted for American Van Lines movers to pack for you and provide packing supplies, they will arrive at your home on the specified day and work to pack all of your belongings with care.
If you only book moving services, then a moving truck or van will arrive at your property on the day of your move and the crew will help load your items into the truck.
After the truck is packed, it will begin the drive to your new home. If you are placing some of your items in storage (or all of them), then this is when you will say goodbye, and American Van Lines will take your items to one of their top-rated storage facilities.
While they don’t offer online shipment tracking, you can contact your move coordinator with questions at any point during your move. Many happy customers — including Jen, a MoveBuddha Better Moves Project participant — report that communication during the move was amazing, despite not having a tracker, and they were able to check up on their items every step of the way.
Should You Use American Van Lines to Move?
Those searching for full-service moves within the United States should definitely consider American Van Lines, especially if you are on a budget and still want someone else to do all the heavy lifting.
Use American Van Lines if:
- You are making a cross-country or international move
- You may need storage solutions during your move
- You want help with every part of your move, from planning to packing
- You have large, fragile items like a piano that need custom crating
Don’t use American Van Lines if:
- You’d like more of a DIY move experience
- You want to be able to track your items during every portion of your move
American Van Lines is known for amazing customer service, so if you do encounter any problems or issues, you will be able to speak with a move specialist who can help you solve them right away. This is one of the many reasons we have included them on several of our best mover lists:
- Best interstate moving companies
- Best long-distance moving companies
- Best military moving companies
- Best luxury moving companies
- Cheapest moving companies
But don’t forget it’s a good idea to shop around as you are looking for a moving company. Check out our moving cost calculator to find the best moving company for your move.
Who is the owner of American Van Lines?
American Van Lines has been owned by Anthony Disorbo since the company’s incorporation in 1995.
Is American Van Lines legit?
Yes, American Van Lines is a legitimate moving company. The company is licensed with the U.S. Department of Transportation and has been in business since 1967.
Is American Van Lines an insured moving company?
American Van Lines is an insured moving company. However, they may not offer full-value protection on all moves, so it is important to ask and purchase extra coverage if needed.
Is American Van Lines expensive?
American Van Lines’ cost isn’t the cheapest in the industry, but it isn’t the most expensive, either. They are known for their excellent service at a reasonable price, making them a value moving company.
Will American Van Lines disassemble furniture?
American Van Lines will disassemble furniture and reassemble it at your new home if you opt for full moving services.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!