- About JK Moving Services
- Pros and Cons
- Services Offered
- Customer Experience
- Licensing and Registrations
- Reputation and Online Presence
- Should You Consider Jk Moving Services?
About JK Moving Services
For nearly 40 years, JK Moving Services has provided full-service moving, relocation, and storage services in the residential, commercial, and governmental markets. They are based in northern Virginia on the outskirts of Washington D.C. and handle local moves, long-distance moves, and international moving projects.
JK Moving & Storage Inc. DBA JK Moving Services is a licensed interstate carrier (USDOT Number: 1065394) based in Sterling, VA, has the authorization to transport general freight and household goods. According to their latest MCS form, the organization (MC# 196957) recorded 5,475,741 miles in 2020 and employed approximately 262 drivers and 205 vehicles.
The company doesn’t market itself as the most economical or the best value; instead, they emphasize guaranteed pick-up and delivery times, have an excellent staff, a top-quality mobile app, and 24/7 customer care.
They received accreditation in 1997 with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and maintain an A+ rating. JK Moving Services currently offers local, long-distance, and international transport services for residential customers and a host of services for commercial customers, including moving, facility management, and storage.
The company provides various specialty services and has an IT division that handles data center transitions, equipment racking, cabling, and data destruction options nationwide. They serve various industries with specialized needs, including medical and laboratory facilities, government entities, law firms, and educational institutions.
JK Moving Services supports a wide variety of community programs and charitable causes. The JK Community Farm located in Virginia’s Loudoun County provides organic food for those in poverty and represents a farming model that demonstrates sustainability and has a wildlife sanctuary.
The organization supports U.S. military veterans through the Army Reserves via the Private Public Partnership program that provides various opportunities.
The company is active in organizations such as the Overseas Moving Network International, the International Federation of International Movers (FIDI), the International Association of Movers (IAM), and the American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA). The company was the recipient of the AMSA’s Fleet Safety Award, which recognizes companies that achieve an excellent safety record and develop creative safety-themed programs and training.
JK Movers was a pioneer in deploying electronic logging devices (ELDs), which became a requirement for all motor carriers by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration in 2017. JK first installed Automatic Onboard Recording Devices (AOBRs) in its vehicles back in 2006.
Our Top 5 Long Distance Movers of 2021
500 interstate moving companies, 3 months of research, cross-referenced reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records.
2021 Best Moving Containers & Storage Companies
We spent 260 hours researching moving container and storage companies to find the best prices, best customer service, and fastest deliveries so you don't have to.
Pros & Cons
- Offers local, long-distance, and international moves
- Low-interest third-party financing is available for those meeting credit requirements
- All moving staff is background checked and drug-screened
- Phone app uses AI technology
- 24/7 customer support available
- The organization is firmly committed to recycling materials to reduce the volume going into landfills.
- Pricing tends to be in the moderate to higher range
- Some customers complained that the valuation (insurance) claim process moved slowly
- Local moving: Offers local residential moving services in Virginia, including Leesburg, Annapolis, and Arlington. They also serve Maryland areas, including Baltimore, Bethesda, and D.C., with a personally assigned move coordinator.
- Interstate moving: Customizable long-distance moving services are offered from coast to coast for residential customers.
- International moving: International relocation and freight forwarding services are available through the company’s global network.
- Storage services: Residential customers can store their belongings in the secure company’s warehouse facilities featuring video surveillance, motion detectors, fire-control systems, and option climate-controlled units
- Full-service packing services: If you’re looking for professional packers, they provide specialized packing and unpacking services
- Financing: Low-interest financing is available for qualified customers through a partnership with Enhancify
- Employee relocations: Available local, long-distance, or internationally
- Vehicle transport: Automobile transportation is available using their partner Montway Auto Transport
- Commercial moving, storage, and relocation services: They provide moving services for businesses of all sizes. Other options include secured short or long-term commercial storage and reconfiguration and decommissioning of company assets. Archival, scanning and storage of data and documents are available and may include inventory management services.
- Valuation coverage: Standard and extended insurance plans are available for the protection of customer belongings
Potential customers can complete the online estimator form, and a representative will contact them for a quote. Potential customers may complete the process of obtaining a moving quote in three ways:
- Virtual Self-Survey: The customer uses Yembo, Artificial Intelligence (AI)-supported technology, for do-it-yourself remote estimates
- In-Home Consultation: A Move Consultant representative provides an on-site estimate and practices proper health and safety protocols when at your home.
- Virtual Consultation: The Move Consultant assists with the estimating process remotely
Estimate types include:
- Non-Binding: They bill customers according to the final weight of the belongings they are transporting. The quote is a “rough” approximation.
- Binding: The customer is obligated to pay the quoted price regardless of the weight or if the number of moved items decreases
- Not-to-Exceed: Customers may either paying the quoted (estimated) price or the actual price based on weight (whichever is lower)
- Option A: Carrier Standard liability protection is included and provides either sixty cents (.60) per pound per item or $50 per article of coverage with an applicable $100 deductible.
- Option B: Replacement Value or full-replacement cost coverage is available and offers a minimum of six dollars ($6.00) per pound per item. The tiered deductible amounts are $0, $100, $250, or $500.
They offer 24/7 live customer support and a highly-rated mobile app that uses artificial intelligence (AI) technology. The company website (www.jkmoving.com) has a real-time chat feature for customers seeking customer service.
Estimates are conducted on-site or remotely. They assign commercial clients a designated project manager from their management team. If you have any questions about their moving process, they can answer them before your move-in date.
Licensing and Registrations
JK Moving Services maintains $1,000,000 in BPID insurance coverage, which exceeds the minimum requirement of $750,000 by 25% and includes cargo insurance. They maintain both common and contract authority listed as currently active.
|Licensing Insurance FMCSA?||Yes|
|Better Business Bureau (BBB)||Yes. Accredited since 1997|
Reputation and Online Presence
JK Moving Services has a prominent Google listing with a 4.5 rating based on more than 390 reviews.
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) has given them an A+ rating. They reported 10 complaints in the past 3 years and 1 in the last 12 months.
|BBB Complaint Types||Number|
|Sales or Advertising||0|
|Collections or Billing||3|
|Warranty or Guarantee||0|
|Product or Service Problems||6|
The company has roughly 217 customer reviews on Yelp with an overall rating of 3 out of 5 stars. Overall, the company has a robust web presence and is very active on social media such as Facebook.
Founded more than three decades ago by Chuck Kuhn, JK Moving Services has grown to be among the largest independent providers of moving and relocation services. The company’s core values include taking ownership, a commitment to caring and growth, and being very collaborative.
JK Moving Services is a truly full-service provider. They serve both the residential and commercial markets locally, nationwide, and internationally. Optional services include packing, storage, vehicle transport, and more. They actively promote their low-interest financing options, which differentiates them from most carriers.
Although not the most affordable option, JK Moving Services has proven to be a viable moving company focused on quality. They employ the latest technology while still offering real-time online chat and personal 24/7 customer support.
For more on JK Moving services and even more top professional movers, take a look at our list of the leading interstate moving companies in 2021. If you’re looking for a free quote on your move, check out our moving cost calculator.