Safeway Moving Review
93% of users select this mover
- 30 days of free storage on all interstate moves
- Veteran owned
- Handle small and large cross country moves
- A portion of every move is donated to charity
93% of users select this mover
- Safeway Moving (USDOT# 3756000) is a veteran-owned moving company with the mission to offer military precision relocation.
- Safeway offers very competitive pricing because they have access to a huge network of truck capacity across the country.
- Their multi-stage quality assurance process also ensures moves go smoothly from pickup to delivery.
- This focus on quality and affordable pricing is a huge reason why Safeway made our best interstate moving companies list.
How does Safeway compare to other professional movers?
Jump to the Safeway review section that you’re looking for:
- Services Available
- Pros and Cons
- Customer Reviews and Feedback
- Should You Consider Safeway Moving?
Safeway Moving: Moving Services Available:
Based in Florida, Safeway Moving is an established moving company focusing primarily on cross-country or long-distance moves. They are affiliated with the Safeway Logistics subsidiary that is based in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Long-distance moves: Services are available nationwide.
- Storage services: Offers customers 30 days of complimentary storage in the destination city. No further details regarding storage options are available.
- Loading and unloading services: Very minimal details provided on the company website
- Packing and unpacking services: Very minimal details provided on the company website
Safeway Pros & Cons
- Currently maintains representatives available via phone 7 days a week. (Mon-Wed: 8a-8p; Thurs-Fri: 8a -9p; Sat-Sun: 8a-4p)
- They emphasize a commitment to pricing transparency without any hidden fees or add-on costs
- Offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- A U.S. Veteran owned company
- They have a sponsorship arrangement in support of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
- The company website contains very little information and currently has only a home, long-distance, and contact page. (Storage services link not operable)
- No local moving services offered
- Require a deposit at booking
- No online shipment tracking option
Want to receive $500 towards your move? Check out the Better Moves Project by moveBuddha to learn how!
How much does Safeway charge?
Obtaining a price quote requires speaking with a company representative. No instant or ballpark pricing is available from the website. Safeway promotes its binding estimate that has no “hidden” surcharges or fees.
They are currently offering a $100 discount voucher toward packing materials such as boxes and tape as part of their St. Jude sponsorship program. It’s not unusual to speak to a representative, but many professional movers will give you a ballpark on their website about the cost of moving to a new home depending on your household goods.
For a quick personalized quote from a top mover, check out our moving cost calculator.
How are Safeways Customer Reviews?
Safeway Moving is registered with the USDOT has an overall rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) of A-. They had previously maintained a perfect rating; however, the BBB has received 19 complaints in the prior three years and 11 complaints in the past 12 months.
The BBB explained that at least one “unresolved” complaint prompted the lower rating.
Many of the BBB complaints involved delays in arriving for pick up and others where they didn’t reach the destination according to schedule.
Some customers seem to misunderstand that the pickup date on the agreement generally has a two-day “window” of time. A couple of complaints were from those who had overlooked that part of the contract.
Some of the complaints involved customers who had an unpleasant moving experience and were abruptly surprised when they realized that Safeway contracts with carriers to perform the move. A few of these individuals felt that they were duped into believing that Safeway was not simply a broker.
A company representative does respond to most complaints and makes a genuine effort to resolve concerns. It’s interesting to note that all current BBB complaints were classified as delivery issues or product and service problems. (see chart)
|Nature of Complaint (BBB)||3-Year Totals|
|Problem with a Product or Service||10|
How is Safeway’s Customer Service?
Complaints about Safeway are in line with the most common complaints we see across all moving companies. The two most common communication problems involve the variables that may change the quoted price and the timing the moving truck will arrive for packing, loading, etc.
Some Safeway customers were caught off guard when the final billing calculation was made. Others accused the carrier of showing up the next day or delaying the arrival time last minute.
While these and other terms are clearly stated within the contract the customer signs, customers commonly pay little attention to these critical details until there is an issue. For example, the quoted price was based on 100 cubic feet of space, and the actual amount of space necessary was 120 cubic feet will usually result in an increase in price. Again, there are plenty of legitimate reasons an estimate can be adjusted on move day and Safeway follows industry best practices in this regard.
The other common occurrence is the customer who speaks with the Safeway sales rep often feels that the day they requested for the truck’s arrival for moving was confirmed. Often, the sales representative will verbally confirm or suggest that the customer’s scheduling request will be honored.
Standard industry practice generally affords the carrier room (usually 48 hours) to actually arrive. Safeway does seem to make a good effort to keep customers updated as arrival gets closer.
Should You Consider Safeway Moving for a Move?
If you’ve done any research on the moving industry you’ll know moves rarely go perfect. There is always some kind of issue; some worse than others. And problems typically stem from some kind of miscommunication.
What’s unique about Safeway is they’ve built a system of followup and quality assurance throughout the moving process.
This greatly reduces the frequency of problems. The company’s focus on quality is a big reason why they made our best interstate moving companies list.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!