Overall Opinion of Allied Van Lines: They are a large high-volume carrier that offers many customized services and has an extensive national network of local agents that handle the actual moving and transportation work. Allied is among the leaders in the international moving market. The quality of the labor used to complete the moves at the agent (local) level is inconsistent, which sometimes results in claims for lost or damaged items.
Jump to the Allied Van Lines review section that you’re looking for:
Allied Van Lines, Inc. began in 1928 and is headquartered in Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois, a western Chicago suburb. In 1999, the organization merged with North American Van Lines, a leading competitor. Across the U.S., they have an established network of local agents in most metropolitan areas, which is similar to the model used by brokers that involve licensed and insured local providers.
- Household Moving: The company has the Allied Personal Moving Plan program that is customized specifically for the needs of each customer. Household moves include basic furniture disassembly and reassembly. For locations where a standard transport container is inaccessible, a smaller shuttle vehicle may be used. Full-service residential moves are coordinated by a Personal Relocation Assistant.
- International Moving: They have completed moves within 130 countries and have developed an Allied International Advantage plan that includes shipment tracking and a streamlined process for clearing customs that is monitored by an International Relocation Coordinator. Allied also specializes in providing moving and storage solutions for those immigrating to the U.S. from abroad.
- Cross Country Moving: They offer moving services nationwide to all U.S. states for residential and commercial customers.
- Packing & Loading: Residential and commercial customers can choose to have Allied provide labor for packing the belongings and loading them on shipping or storage containers. Items are added to an inventory before loading and this list is then confirmed at the destination upon unloading. Upholstered furniture is wrapped for protection and high-value items and electronics may be transported in customized crates. Allied will use third-party providers to complete cleaning services as needed.
- Corporate Relocation: Corporations benefit from their “single-source, end-to-end” service, and storage options worldwide. Small corporate moves are completed through the Corporate Express program that employs smaller 1,000-pound shipping containers and offers door-to-door service with enhanced reliability in arriving at the destination on the intended date. Commercial customers can have assistance with furniture and equipment installation, reconfiguration, and storage as needed.
- Storage Services: Temporary storage is available in-transit, where the belongings remain in a trailer, for up to 90 days. Secure storage space is offered that includes climate-controlled storage options. Storage services are not promoted at the corporate level and availability is dependent on the local agent.
- Vehicle Transportation: Cars, boats, and other vehicles can be safely transported and are generally completed in 3 to 7 days. The vehicle is protected by up to 100,000 of coverage with no deductible.
- Moving Containers: Allied Express is a storage container unit option that competes with PODS, U-Pack, and others. It is a full-service option that uses either two or four professional movers who load and unload. The company doesn’t aggressively promote its portable storage container services.
- Packing & Supplies: Specialized supplies are available for transporting mirrors, mattresses, and more. Predesigned moving supply kits are available for purchase. Color-coded packing tape is used for easily identifying which room the box should be placed in at the destination.
Our Top 5 Long Distance Movers of 2021
500 interstate moving companies, 3 months of research, cross-referenced reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records.
2021 Best Moving Containers & Storage Companies
We spent 260 hours researching moving container and storage companies to find the best prices, best customer service, and fastest deliveries so you don't have to.
The Good: Very Well-Established International Mover
Allied has dedicated substantial resources to developing their international moving program. They have country-specific websites and a vast network of agents worldwide.
The Bad: Some Agents Have Careless Movers
The vast majority of complaints result from belongings being damaged or lost during the moving process.
- In response to COVID-19, quotes may be completed remotely via real-time video
- They have implemented a program for customers to donate unwanted items to the Salvation Army
- They have an excellent (24/7) online shipment tracking tool (see image)
- The Allied “Instaquote” options don’t truly provide an instantaneous quote; rather, a representative must call you back and some customers find these individuals to be pushy or overly aggressive.
- Allied doesn’t offer much of any details regarding their storage or warehousing options or facilities
- The claims process for damaged or lost items often results in disgruntled customers regardless of whether the supplemental insurance valuation coverage is purchased
Allied doesn’t position itself as the most economical option; instead, emphasizing its vast service area and years of experience. State-to-state moving prices are calculated based on the total weight and mileage between origin and destination. Additional charges will apply for labor, crating, and other customized services.
Insurance and Valuation
- Released Value: This is the mandated minimum coverage provided by all carriers that pay sixty cents (.60) per pound per item. Items valued at greater than $100 per pound must be identified as a High-Value Article so that the carrier can act accordingly.
- Extra Care Protection: This is supplemental coverage that is purchased by the customer. Any items that are lost or damaged will be repaired, replaced with a similar article, or a cash settlement is made based on the market replacement value. The process of filing a claim begins using their online form.
Berger Allied Moving & Storage, the Allied agent in Fullerton, California, has a total of 65 reviews on Google with a rating of 4.1 out of 5. Many of the complaints involved items being damaged during transport. Several customers had furniture items that were not properly reassembled after delivery.
The Allied agent in Austin, Texas has a total of 95 reviews on Google with an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5. One customer who filed a damage claim stated his request was denied because the item was in a “self-packed” box—not one pack by their staff. A representative from the company personally responds to each negative review to resolve problems.
The Allied agent in Jessup, Maryland has 40+ reviews on Yelp with a very poor overall rating. A few customers complained of damage to floors and ceilings as movers worked in their homes. Several customers complained of overly aggressive sales tactics after they had requested a quote.
The Better Business Bureau has them listed with an A-rating; however, they received 26 complaints in the last 12 months. Many of the complaints resulted from damage to items during the move and the difficulty in working with the customer service and the claims departments.
One persistent complaint is that the movers who unload at the destination seem to pressure the customer to sign the paperwork indicating that all items are received. Later, as the customer finishes opening all of the boxes, they determine that items are missing.
They are a tremendously successful company that offers nationwide coverage and excellent international moving services. The primary sources of complaints involve pushy salespeople and items being damaged during the move. Based on the high volume of moves they complete; it seems that overall customer satisfaction is above average.