How and When to Use a Wooden Crate for Moving
Did you know that 15.3 million American households move each year? If you have decided to move, you might be considering the different packing options available to you. The type of packing materials you choose will depend on the types of items you need to move.
Most people know about packing with cardboard boxes, but there is a better packing solution, especially if you plan to move fragile items. If you want extra insurance that your items will arrive in one piece, you should consider using wooden moving crates. This article will look at how and when you should use wooden moving crates.
But first, check out these helpful articles.
- Best Interstate Movers – The moving industry is full of shady players. With so much at stake, it’s worth hiring a top-rated long-distance mover with verified customer reviews.
- How much will your move cost? – Our moving cost calculator is a great resource. Just enter your move dates, origin and destination cities, and the estimated size of your move, and the magic algorithms will do the rest.
- Consider moving containers – It’s simple. You load and unload, they drive, and you save big bucks. These are the best moving container companies.
What is wood crating?
Wood crating is a form of packaging used to transport various household and business goods via air or overland. Wooden crates are made of wood, and they come in various size options.
Often smaller wooden crates are made from wooden slats. In contrast, larger wooden crates are usually built with tough and durable OSB boards nailed into a solid frame with six wooden sides. Additionally, most large wooden crates have a wooden shipping pallet on their bottom. This is specifically built this way so that the crate is easier to lift and move when it is being transported.
When should you use a wooden crate?
Now that you know what a wooden crate is, you’re likely wondering when you should use one. In recent years wooden crates have become a popular packaging method for many people. Most people use wooden crates to protect heavy belongings and fragile items such as glass, marble, antique mirrors, statues, TVs, electronics, chandeliers, and even taxidermy items.
In addition to these items often, if you have any belongings with sharp edges, it’s a good idea to move them by packaging them in wooden crates. By doing this, you’re protecting your other belongings from being torn or ripped during your move.
Essentially, wooden crates are an ideal packaging option because they are durable, robust, sturdy, and versatile. Should you need to fortify anything while you move, wooden crates should be your go-to option.
What are the actual benefits associated with using a wooden crate?
Are there any benefits associated with using wooden crates for your move? The answer is yes. There are a few main benefits that you can enjoy if you use wooden crates as your preferred packaging method. We have listed a few of the wooden crate benefits below.
- Can be repurposed: Unlike when you use cardboard boxes, you can repurpose wooden crates if they are not customized to be an awkward shape or size. After you move, you can use these crates to store books, shoes, towels, blankets, and plenty more. They are also great for bathroom toiletries and storing vegetables. What’s great about repurposing them is that you will be able to use them for a long time because of how they are built.
- Are easily stackable: Did you know that wooden crates can withstand a massive amount of vertical pressure? When you’re moving, it can be challenging to fit all your items into a truck, so using wooden crates is a great idea. This packaging solution is easily stackable and can withstand immense pressure, so you are guaranteed that your items will be protected during your local or interstate move.
- They are eco-friendly: Wooden crates are one of the most eco-friendly moving options available. Unlike cardboard and plastic boxes, wooden crates are more environmentally friendly because they are made from natural and biodegradable materials.
What are the negatives of using a wooden crate?
There are more benefits than negatives concerning using wooden crates. Yet that doesn’t mean there aren’t any negatives. We have briefly spoken about a few you need to know before deciding if wooden crates are the right packaging option for you.
- Can be expensive: Since crates are not usually included in most moving quotes, they cost extra and can cost upwards of $50 each. These crates can cost even more if you get them custom-made to your specifications.
- Are time-consuming: Unlike assembling cardboard boxes, wooden crate assembly can take more time because there are more steps involved.
- They take up lots of space: Since wooden crates are designed to be different sizes, they can take up a lot of household storage space if you decide to keep them after your move.
When should you not use a wooden crate?
We spoke about when you should use a wooden crate to move, but there are a few instances where you shouldn’t use this packaging option.
Do not use a wooden crate to transport:
- Fuels and oils that are potentially flammable.
- Aerosol cans that can become miniature pressurized tanks.
- Propane and natural gas.
- Fingernail polish, varnish, paint, and paint thinners.
- Fireworks, explosives, and matches.
- Ammunition and loaded firearms.
- Insecticides and herbicides.
How do you use a wooden crate to move?
Using a wooden crate to move might be more time-consuming in certain instances, but it is convenient and easy to do. Often you can create your own wooden crates by building them yourself from scratch. However, if you don’t want to go that route, you can simply buy wooden crates from a moving company.
Usually, a moving company will custom-build your wooden crates according to your size and shape needs and bring them to you. You can also purchase wooden crates from a company, and they are delivered to you in pieces. These pieces will be easy to assemble as they come with easy-to-use assembly instructions.
Now that you know how and when to use wooden crates, you can easily determine if they are the right packaging solution for your move. Ultimately if you have any heavy or fragile belongings that you don’t want to get damaged, using wooden crates to transport them might be the best option.
Wooden crates might take longer to assemble, but they are easy to use and incredibly durable. Additionally, you can repurpose them and get rid of them without worrying about damaging the environment.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!