Here’s the bottom line: If you need auto transport services as part of your next move, American Auto Shipping is an excellent choice. The ability to get an instant quote online with locked-in pricing, personal contact with your driver, and an array of value-added services make American Auto Shipping an easy recommendation if you need help transporting your vehicle.
After all, making a long drive — like from Los Angeles to New York — is something many people would rather avoid in the midst of a big move. In this review, we’ll give you a look at everything you need to know about how to ship a car with American Auto.
Looking for other car shipping options? Check out our breakdown of the best car shipping companies, based on reputation, experience, and services.Learn More
Pros & cons of shipping your car with American Auto Shipping
- A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau
- Instant online quote with locked-in pricing
- Free rental car if your vehicle delivery is delayed
- Covers up to $500 of your deductible if damage occurs during transport
- Variety of service options, including expedited service and shipments to and from Hawaii
- Strong customer reviews
- Pricing can be higher than the competition
- Does not provide service to Alaska
- Full deposit required to obtain a price discount
- No GPS tracking
- American Auto Shipping (USDOT#3180595) is a highly rated shipping company that acts as a broker for vehicle shipping services. This means they partner with other car shipping companies to provide quotes and service. However, American Auto Shipping has a strong industry reputation for providing high-quality service through its partners.
- American Auto Shipping’s prices tend to be about average for the industry — not particularly high or low. However, with more than 20 years in business and an A+ BBB rating, they have earned the trust of their customers.
- American Auto Shipping offers a variety of helpful car shipping services, including enclosed and open transport, shipments to and from Hawaii, military and heavy equipment transport, and even auto auction transport.
Jump to the American Auto Shipping information you’re looking for:
- American Auto Shipping pricing: How much it costs for car shipping
- American Auto Shipping offers a wide variety of services
- How American Auto Shipping stacks up against the competition
- How shipping with American Auto Shipping works
- American Auto Shipping is perfect for people who…
American Auto Shipping pricing: How much it costs for car shipping
Figuring out how much auto shipping costs with American Auto Shipping is easy! You can get an online quote in under a minute by entering information about your vehicle, the ZIP codes you’re moving to and from, and your basic contact information. You can also get a free quote by calling them directly.
If you like your quote, you can place your order online or call back to confirm details and finalize the order. Quotes from American Auto Shipping are good for 24 hours, with no hidden fees.
American Auto Shipping’s pricing generally falls in line with shipping quotes from other vehicle shippers, but there are a few factors to be aware of that can influence your shipping costs:
- Levels of service: American Auto Shipping offers multiple “levels” of service, ranging from standard service with pickup within one to five weekdays to expedited shipping for pickup within 24 hours. Faster pickup will naturally increase your prices. Similarly, it will cost more to ship your vehicle if you use enclosed transport rather than open transport. Enclosed transport is the more premium option because it provides added protection and involves moving fewer vehicles at the same time.
- Type of vehicle: The type of vehicle you need to transport will directly affect your quote. Larger vehicles like SUVs will cost more than smaller vehicles, and rare or exotic vehicles will also add to your costs.
- Distance: The farther you need to transport your vehicle, the more it will cost.
- Available discounts: You can get a small car shipping discount if you pay the quoted price in full upfront. American Auto Shipping also offers a military discount.
American Auto Shipping offers a wide variety of services
American Auto Shipping provides a noteworthy variety of auto transport services that make it easy to get your vehicle to your new home:
- Door-to-door shipments: You can have your vehicle shipper pick up your vehicle at your old home and then drop it off at your new home. You don’t have to take your car anywhere! However, if accessibility is an issue for the carrier, you may need to arrange pickup or drop-off at another nearby location.
- Enclosed transport: An enclosed carrier provides extra protection against severe weather and other potential road hazards. Though more expensive than the company’s open transport services, it is highly recommended when shipping antique or valuable vehicles.
- Motorcycle shipping: American Auto Shipping offers enclosed and open transport options for motorcycles, as well. For enclosed shipments, the motorcycle is secured in a crate for added protection.
- Military shipping: American Auto Shipping can help facilitate car shipping for military service members, as well as transport military vehicles. Military discounts are available.
- Auto auction shipping: If you win a vehicle at auction, American Auto Shipping can transport it to your home. You’ll need to provide the lot number, buyer number, and the auction house’s release form to secure shipment.
- Hawaii shipments: American Auto Shipping provides vehicle shipping services from Hawaii to the mainland, as well as directly from California to Hawaii.
- Expedited shipping: American Auto Shipping offers three service levels. With standard service, your vehicle will be picked up within one to five weekdays. Priority service will pick up your car within one to two weekdays. And expedited shipping will ensure your car is picked up within 24 hours.
- Rental car options: If your shipment is delayed by 14 days past its expected delivery date, American Auto Shipping will provide a free rental vehicle.
- Damage reimbursement: If your vehicle is damaged while in-transit, American Auto Shipping will pay up to $500 toward your insurance coverage’s deductible.
- Car wash: American Auto Shipping will reimburse you up to $20 for a car wash after using their services.
How American Auto Shipping stacks up against the competition
There are many other auto shippers who can also help transport your vehicle, such as Montway Auto Transport and Sherpa Auto Transport, two of our picks for best car shipping companies. Understanding how American Auto Shipping compares to these other auto shipping companies will help you make the right decision for your move.
American Auto Shipping vs. Montway Auto Transport
Montway Auto Transport is another noteworthy auto broker that can help you ship your vehicle across the country. The company services all 50 states, and can even handle international shipments at competitive price points.
89% of users select this mover
Like American Auto Shipping, Montway offers instant online quotes. However, Montway’s quotes aren’t binding, which means they could change from what you were initially quoted. The company also charges a $249 cancellation fee for dispatched vehicles.
Despite these potential drawbacks, Montway has become an industry leader thanks to strong customer reviews, no upfront deposit, multiple insurance options, and on-time delivery guarantees for an additional fee.
American Auto Shipping vs. Sherpa Auto Transport
Sherpa Auto Transport is a relative newcomer to the auto shipping industry, having been in business since 2017. During this short time, this broker has become an industry leader thanks to its quality service, Price-Lock Promise, and ability to ship inoperable vehicles.
89% of users select this mover
Sherpa Auto Transport offers door-to-door service, as well as value-added features like a free car wash if your vehicle arrives dirty, expedited pickup options, and discounts for military and repeat customers.
The company does not service Alaska, and they only ship cars — no motorcycles, RVs, trailers, or other vehicles. They do not guarantee pickup or delivery dates, and your final payment must be made in cash.
|Company||BBB score||State availability||Binding quote?|
|American Auto Shipping||A+||49 (not in AK) + Washington, D.C.||Yes|
|Montway Auto Transport||A+||All 50 states||No|
|Sherpa Auto Transport||A+||49 (not in AK) + Washington, D.C.||Yes|
How shipping with American Auto Shipping works
Car transport services with American Auto Shipping are refreshingly straightforward. After you agree to a quoted price, you’ll input your pickup and drop-off information and submit payment via credit card.
Once this is complete, American Auto Shipping will reserve a spot for your vehicle with one of their carrier partners. They will then reach out to you with the scheduled pickup date for your vehicle, as well as the name and phone number of your truck driver. They will also confirm the pickup location. The driver will contact you between four and 24 hours in advance of their pickup time to confirm your availability.
As with other vehicle shippers, you should inspect your vehicle and take pictures to document any damage that was present before shipment. This way, when the vehicle is delivered, you can compare and submit claims if needed.
During the shipping process, you’ll have contact information for the driver and dispatcher, but American Auto Shipping does not offer GPS tracking. On your delivery date, your driver will call you between four and 24 hours in advance to confirm your availability for drop-off.
American Auto Shipping is perfect for people who want easy vehicle shipping
Navigating vehicle transport can be stressful, but American Auto Shipping makes this process easy from start to finish. With strong customer reviews and decades in business, they offer much-needed peace of mind to their customers. The ability to get an instant quote online with no hidden fees helps you quickly compare costs to decide if the company fits within your budget.
With so many different levels of service (including enclosed transport and expedited pickup), it’s also easy to select the options that best fit your needs and preferences. Plus, with value-added services like reimbursements for car washes and damages, American Auto Shipping takes care of you after your vehicle is delivered, too.
Despite these advantages, American Auto Shipping doesn’t always offer the cheapest prices. We always recommend getting quotes from at least three providers to compare pricing and services.
What does being an auto transport broker mean?
American Auto Shipping is an auto transport broker. This means they don’t have their own fleet of auto transport vehicles. Instead, they partner with other licensed auto transport carriers to provide services to their customers. This gives them the ability to provide a broader coverage area, greater availability, and competitive pricing.
Is American Auto Shipping legit?
Yes, American Auto Shipping is a legitimate auto transport broker. The company has been in business since 1999 and holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
What is the best shipping company for cars?
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer for who you should use for car shipping. American Auto Shipping is definitely a good option. Other leading companies include Montway Auto Transport, Sherpa Auto Transport, and SGT Auto Transport. It’s best to get quotes from multiple auto transport companies to see who has the best pricing, availability, and services for your particular move.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!