Here’s the bottom line: Nexus Auto Transport is an American auto transport company based in Chicago. They offer a variety of car transport services for the United States and abroad, and they are known for their customizable vehicle shipping options, which allow customers to choose the amount they want to pay to ship their vehicle.
Want more options for shipping your vehicle? Here’s a breakdown of the best car shipping companies including their reputation, costs, and services.Learn More
Nexus Auto Transport is an auto transport broker, meaning they do not directly handle the transportation of your vehicle but instead set you up with one of their partner shippers. Because they partner with a wide variety of auto shipping companies, they can provide three separate free quotes for shipping a single vehicle, allowing customers to choose how much they want to pay to ship their car.
Nexus Auto Transports offers customers both open and enclosed carrier car shipping services for boats, cars, golf carts, and motorcycles. Customers can choose between three different shipping speeds —economy, standard, or express — and price will vary based on the selection.
Nexus Auto Transport is not only available in all 50 states, they also have several options for international vehicle shipping. They are known for their budget prices, especially if you choose their economy shipping option. However, they are also known for their expensive shipping prices for those who book last-minute or choose their express option.
Need to ship your vehicle and think Nexus Auto Transport might be the right choice? Let’s take a deeper look and find out.
Pros & cons of shipping your car with Nexus Auto Transport
- Offers long-distance auto shipping options in all 50 states and abroad
- Free instant quotes are available online, and all customers will receive three quote options
- Budget pricing when you choose economy shipping options
- Choose between open carrier or enclosed transport
- Door-to-door delivery is typically free
- Next-day shipping options are available for an extra fee
- Discounts are available for military employees and those paying cash
- Economy shipping options often leave customers upset, as there are no guaranteed drop-off or pickup dates and the process can take weeks or even months to complete
- A 25% deposit is required for most vehicle shipments
- Nexus Auto Transport (USDOT#3291622) provides both affordable and premium long-distance car transport services in all 50 states and abroad.
- Nexus Auto Transport offers both open and enclosed vehicle shipping for vehicles of every size, including trucks, boats, and RVs.
- Customers can control their car shipping cost by forgoing specified extras, such as specified windows of pickup and delivery dates, when choosing the economy shipping option.
Jump to the Nexus Auto Transport info you’re looking for:
- Nexus Auto Transport pricing: how much it costs for car shipping
- Nexus Auto Transport offers a wide variety of services
- How Nexus Auto Transport stacks up against the competition
- How Shipping with Nexus Auto Transport works
- Nexus Auto Transport is perfect for people who…
Nexus Auto Transport pricing: How much it costs for car shipping
How much it costs to ship your vehicle with Nexus Auto Transport depends on a variety of factors, such as vehicle size, operability, time of year, shipping distance, and whether or not you need expedited service. All customers receive three free quotes from Nexus, one economy quote, a standard quote, and an expedited quote.
Those shipping long distances or during busy times of year will pay more than those shipping short distances off-season. For example, if you ship from New York to Los Angeles during the winter, you’ll pay far more than someone shipping from Jacksonville, Florida, to Dallas in the fall.
Additionally, customers who want their car to be safe in an enclosed transport will pay more than those who are comfortable with open transport. While most quotes from Nexus Auto Transport include door-to-door shipping, those living in big cities like Newark, New Jersey, or New York may have to pick up their vehicle from a different location.
Nexus Auto Transport is a car shipping broker, so after you receive an initial quote, a customer service agent will look through their partners to find you a great price. Although they do their best to give you an accurate quote, any initial quotes are not locked in until they can arrange your vehicle shipment with one of their partners.
While Nexus Auto Transport doesn’t offer a ton of discounts, they do have a few available. Those who are members of the military can receive a discount, as can first-time customers and those planning to pay cash.
Looking to save? We’ve compiled a list of common car shipping discounts.
Nexus Auto Transport offers a wide variety of services
Let’s take a closer look at some of the vehicle shipping services Nexus offers:
- Open carrier vehicle transport: The most economical car shipping option is to have your vehicle transported in an open-air carrier. This is especially true when you choose their economy option when selecting shipment speed. However, open carriers do expose your car to the elements and potential road hazards.
- Enclosed carrier vehicle transport: Those with higher-end, classic, or specialty vehicles may upgrade to an enclosed carrier that offers greater protection at a higher price.
- Vehicle delivery: If you have purchased a vehicle online, Nexus can pick up your vehicle at the dealer once the sale is complete and have it delivered directly to your door.
- Expedited auto shipping: If you need to have your vehicle transported immediately —even the next day — they offer accelerated service for an additional cost. For economy (not expedited) service, they recommend making the arrangements two to three weeks ahead of time.
- Seasonal auto relocation: Those who reside in a different region for a part of the year may want to use seasonal auto relocation services (for example, “snowbirds” from New York that stay in Florida during the winter months). These individuals may choose to take a flight to Florida but have their car transported there, which may be a more economical option compared to using a rental car.
- Specialty vehicle transport: This offering includes motorcycles, boats, golf carts, and other vehicles.
- Mobile home transport: Nexus Auto Transport is one of the few companies in the vehicle transport industry that offers mobile home transport, although it comes at a premium price.
How Nexus Auto Transport stacks up against the competition
When compared to SGT Auto Transport and Montway Auto Transport — two of our best car shipping companies — vehicle shipping with Nexus Auto Transport might look a little different. Let’s take a look at the differences and similarities between these three companies.
Nexus Auto Transport vs. SGT Auto Transport
Both Nexus Auto Transport and SGT Auto Transport offer long-distance car shipping services, but Nexus has slightly more availability. Nexus serves all 50 states, while SGT is available in every state except Alaska. Both companies can assist with the vehicle shipping process abroad.
89% of users select this mover
Customers can choose either open or enclosed transport with both companies, but Nexus is a little more versatile. While Nexus customers can ship any sort of vehicle — from a boat to a mobile home — SGT only ships cars and motorcycles.
While both companies are rated highly on the BBB website, SGT has more positive reviews from customers and maintains an A rating. They also tend to be a more costly car shipment option, but they do offer competition price-matching. Still, those on a budget might prefer to use Nexus Auto Transport.
We do have to mention that SGT Auto Transport offers exact pickup dates for an extra fee. Nexus Auto Transport has an expedited shipping option available, but even when you pay for it, an exact pickup date isn’t guaranteed.
Nexus Auto Transport vs. Montway Auto Transport
Both Nexus Auto Transport and Montway Auto Transport are long-distance car brokers that offer services within all 50 U.S. states and abroad. However, while Nexus can help you ship almost any type of vehicle, Montway doesn’t ship RVs or mobile homes.
89% of users select this mover
That being said, Montway Auto Transport maintains an A+ Rating on the BBB website, which is better than Nexus’ B rating. Montway is also known for its large number of positive reviews from customers.
Both car shipping companies have similar pricing structures, with those making longer moves paying more. But with Montway, customers get GPS tracking while their vehicle is in transit. When you ship with Nexus, vehicle tracking may be an option with some shippers, but it isn’t always available.
Overall, both Nexus and Montway are excellent options for shipping your vehicle, but Montway offers on-time delivery guarantees for an extra fee, while Nexus has nothing of the sort. Those needing their vehicle by a specific date might want to choose Montway.
|Guaranteed pickup/drop-off dates?
|Nexus Auto Transport
|All 50 states
|SGT Auto Transport
|49 states (not in AK)
|Yes (for an extra fee)
|Montway Auto Transport
|All 50 states
|Yes (for an extra fee)
How shipping with Nexus Auto Transport works
Nexus Auto Transport is an auto-shipping broker, and they will not directly transport your vehicle. Instead, they will set you up with one of their partners, who will be the ones to pick up and drop off your vehicle. Let’s take a closer look at what the shipping process with Nexus Auto Transport looks like.
Getting a quote
The Nexus Auto Transport website is very easy to use, and they have lots of resources to help you save money on shipping your car. Getting a free quote from their system is easy, and unlike most other vehicle transport services, customers with Nexus receive three quotes for every vehicle shipment.
Once you receive your quotes, you will need to choose the type of vehicle shipment you want to book. Economy shipping is the cheapest and expedited is the most expensive. The middle option is standard shipping.
After you have made your decision — or if you need to get a quote for additional services — you will need to make a phone call to speak with a Nexus agent to book your car shipment. During this call, let the agent know which type of shipment you want (economy, standard, or expedited) and whether or not you need additional services like enclosed transport.
Once you have let Nexus know you want to book with them, they will look for a company to ship your vehicle. Until they call you back with a binding quote, it is important to know that all quotes provided are estimates only.
When the agent calls you back with a binding quote, a deposit of 25% is usually required to lock in your rate. When the deposit is received, the Nexus agent will give you a window of three to five days for when you can expect your vehicle to be picked up.
Preparing for shipping
A few days before the truck arrives, you’ll want to clean out your vehicle, as there is an extra fee for vehicles that aren’t empty. You will also want to make sure there is at least a quarter tank of gas in your vehicle so it can be loaded and unloaded from the truck.
Additionally, during this time, the partner company will call you with a pickup date and approximate time they will arrive.
Shipping your vehicle
When the truck arrives at your home, the driver will inspect your vehicle and load it onto the truck. You will be provided with a bill of lading, and the driver may let you know a window of days for vehicle drop-off at this time. Then your car will begin its journey.
If you weren’t already provided a drop-off window, you will receive a call from the driver a few days before you can expect your vehicle to arrive.
Once your vehicle arrives at your new home, you will inspect your vehicle for damage and you will pay the driver in full, if you haven’t done so already. If you notice any damage to your vehicle, report this to the driver when they drop off your vehicle.
Nexus Auto Transport is perfect for people who have flexible schedules and want affordable service
Nexus Auto Transport has some amazing vehicle shipment options at economical prices, but only if you aren’t in a hurry. Plus, some negative reviews mostly mention missed pick-up and drop-off windows. If you have some flexibility in your car shipment, Nexus is a viable contender.
Nexus is also perfect for customers who:
- Are making a long-distance or international move and don’t want to drive
- Are flexible with pickup and drop-off times and don’t mind if their vehicle takes a long time in transit
- Want multiple quotes for the same service
- Don’t mind paying cash for an extra discount
If you are looking for car shipping as part of a larger move, you might find that a full-service moving company is a better option for you. Take a look at our guide to the best long-distance moving companies to find a top-rated mover that can also assist with vehicle transport.
Who owns Nexus Auto Transport?
Nexus Auto Transport is privately owned by George Arkin, who is the current CEO of the company.
What is the average cost of auto shipping?
The cost of auto shipping can vary widely depending on several factors, but Nexus reports that the average quote for a short-distance move is $300–$700 and $1,000–$5,000 for a long-distance move. If you’re on a budget, check out our guide on the cheapest way to ship your car.
Is Nexus Auto Transport legit?
Nexus Auto Transport is a legitimate and decently rated auto transport company with a B rating on the BBB website. They prioritize consumer choice, providing their customers with a range of auto transport quotes from which to choose.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!