Here’s the bottom line: AmeriFreight is a nationwide car shipping broker. They offer a variety of car transport services for vehicles of every size and are known for their large number of discounts to help you save money on your auto shipping.
Because AmeriFreight is an auto transport broker, they do not directly handle car shipping. Instead, they will coordinate your shipping request by working with a wide network of vetted partners. Unlike some other brokers, customer reviews rave about AmeriFreight’s customer service and responsiveness to problems.
AmeriFreight offers customers several shipping options using open or enclosed transport. While they don’t offer guaranteed pickup dates, they do their best to pair you with an auto transport company that matches your needs.
Based in Atlanta, AmeriFreight can ship vehicles in the contiguous U.S., as well as Alaska and Hawaii. They can also transport other vehicles like motorcycles, boats, and RVs.
AmeriFrieght is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB). They currently have an A+ rating with the BBB — something that can’t be said about most car transport services. AmeriFreight is also known for its budget prices and a wide variety of discounts, including for military, students, and first responders.
Moving your vehicle across the country and think AmeriFreight car shipping might be the right choice for you? Let’s dive in and see!
Pros & cons of shipping your car with AmeriFreight
- Offers long-distance auto shipping options in all 50 states
- Free quotes are available online
- Budget pricing and multiple discounts
- Open or enclosed shipping options
- Door-to-door shipping typically offered at no additional cost
- No guaranteed pickup and drop-off dates (they will do their best to match your availability)
- Does not offer international car shipping
- Alaska customers must pay for a second shipping company
- AmeriFreight Car Shipping (USDOT#2238770) provides affordable, highly rated long-distance car transport services in all 50 U.S. states.
- AmeriFreight offers both open and enclosed vehicle shipping, but they don’t offer exact pickup or drop-off dates.
- Door-to-door shipping is available for all shipments, but some may find it more affordable to pick up their vehicle at an auto terminal.
Jump to the AmeriFreight info you’re looking for:
- AmeriFreight pricing: How much it costs for car shipping
- AmeriFreight offers a wide variety of services
- How AmeriFreight stacks up against the competition
- How shipping with AmeriFreight works
- AmeriFreight is perfect for people who…
AmeriFreight pricing: How much it costs for car shipping
How much it costs to ship your vehicle with AmeriFreight depends on a variety of factors, such as vehicle size, operability, shipping distance, and additional services required. You can receive a free quote quickly and easily on their website, amerifreight.net.
Those shipping long distances or from remote areas will pay more than those shipping short distances. For example, those shipping from New York to California will pay more than those shipping from Georgia to Florida.
Additionally, you’ll pay more for the safety of enclosed shipping than open transport, which exposes your car to the elements and road hazards. While door-to-door shipping is offered to most customers for no additional fee, if you are shipping from Hawaii, you may need to pay extra for this feature if you don’t want to pick up your vehicle from one of the available terminal delivery locations.
AmeriFreight is a car shipping broker, so after you receive an initial quote, the company will search its partner agents to find you the best price. All carriers that work with AmeriFreight auto transport undergo a rigorous vetting process and are known for their timeliness and customer service. Price may vary based on the shipper your car shipment is assigned to.
One of the best parts of working with AmeriFreight is that they offer a ton of discounts. There is an early bird discount for booking within 48 hours of receiving your quote. Student, military, senior, and first responder discounts are also available.
AmeriFreight offers a wide variety of services
Based in Peachtree City, GA, near Atlanta, AmeriFreight offers a wide variety of services to customers.
Let’s take a look at the vehicle shipping services they provide:
- Cross-country: AmeriFreight can send your vehicle from coast to coast, if needed. They currently service all 50 states and can move all sizes of vehicles, from motorcycles and boats to SUVs and RVs.
- Dealership vehicle delivery: AmeriFreight can deliver a vehicle ordered from a car dealership or auction to your home.
- Door-to-door: In most cases, the shipping process begins and ends right at your front door. In some cases, like those shipping to or from Hawaii or Alaska, you may need to pay extra for delivery directly to your door, or you may need to pick your vehicle up at a port.
- Custom options: AmeriFreight lets you ship your car your way. Choose open or enclosed transport, depending on your budget and vehicle. Those with a classic or high-end car may want to consider enclosed transport, which protects vehicles from roadway hazards and weather conditions during transit. You can also pay extra to ship 100 pounds of luggage in your vehicle (not available for boats).
- Insurance coverage: While all carriers working with AmeriFreight are insured, you can choose to purchase gap coverage for your vehicle. Gap protection is extra insurance coverage that can help protect your vehicle and pay your deductible should it be damaged in transit.
- Discounts: While many car shipping discounts are out there, AmeriFreight offers perhaps the most of any company in the industry. Anyone working with AmeriFreight will receive a discount for booking early. Students, seniors, first responders, military, and medical personnel can receive an additional discount.
How AmeriFreight stacks up against the competition
When compared to SGT Auto Transport and Sherpa Auto Transport —two of our best car shipping companies — vehicle shipping with AmeriFreight might look a little different. Let’s take a look at the similarities and differences between these three auto transport companies.
AmeriFreight vs. SGT Auto Transport
Both AmeriFreight and SGT Auto Transport offer long-distance car shipping services within the U.S.. However, AmeriFreight serves all 50 states, while SGT Auto Transport is not available in Alaska.
89% of users select this mover
However, SGT Auto Transport can handle international vehicle shipping, something AmeriFreight doesn’t offer.
Both companies use enclosed and open transport. AmeriFreight can ship vehicles of any size, including RVs and boats, but SGT only ships cars and motorcycles.
AmeriFreight and SGT both have a high rating on the BBB and other review sites. However, AmeriFreight seems to be the more budget-friendly option of the two. AmeriFreight offers lots of discounts and is known for their low car shipping rates. SGT often costs more, though they do match competitor prices.
We should mention, however, that SGT Auto Transport is one of the only car shipping companies to offer exact pickup dates for an extra fee. With AmeriFreight, you will only be given a window, so those needing a specific delivery date should choose SGT Auto Transport.
AmeriFreight vs. Sherpa Auto Transport
AmeriFreight and Sherpa Auto Transport are both known for their excellent customer service. While AmeriFreight has transparent pricing, Sherpa Auto Transport is one of few auto transport companies to offer a price lock promise. This means you will never pay more car shipping costs than you are originally quoted. While AmeriFreight is known to have some of the lowest rates in the industry, it does not provide any guaranteed prices.
89% of users select this mover
While AmeriFreight can help you with a variety of vehicle sizes, Sherpa Auto Transport only transports standard-sized vehicles, meaning those with an RV, boat, or other large vehicle should probably choose AmeriFreight. Sherpa also can’t ship motorcycles.
Sherpa Auto Transport offers a clean car guarantee — a standout service that ensures your car will arrive clean or the company will pay to have it washed for you.
Both companies provide door-to-door transport. AmeriFreight can also arrange terminal-to-terminal services but Sherpa is limited to delivery only. This may be a problem for those living in large cities like New York and might not be able to have a large truck on their street.
AmeriFreight serves all 50 states and Sherpa Auto Transport is available in every state except Alaska. Those living in Alaska will need to choose AmeriFreight to ship their vehicle.
|All 50 states
|No (2-3 day window)
|SGT Auto Transport
|49 states (not available in HI)
|Sherpa Auto Transport
|49 states (not available in AK)
How shipping with AmeriFreight works
AmeriFreight is an auto-shipping broker, and they will not directly transport your vehicle. Rather, they will set you up with one of their trusted providers, who will handle the physical aspects of your move. Let’s take a look at what the shipping experience with AmeriFreight looks like.
Getting a quote
While the AmeriFreight website isn’t the best we’ve ever seen, you can use it to generate a free quote. This quote is an initial price only and you will have to speak directly with a customer service agent to receive a binding quote. The agent will look at a variety of shipping quotes on your behalf and provide you with the best rate.
If you want to receive the early bird discount, you must book within 48 hours of getting your binding quote. To book your car shipment, you will need to place a deposit. This can be done with a credit or debit card.
Note that AmeriFreight does not offer guaranteed pickup or drop-off days but they do provide a window of two to three business days for both.
Booking and shipping
Once you place a deposit, the driver from the company handling your request will contact you a few days before your pickup window to let you know the date and time of arrival.
When the driver arrives, they will load your vehicle onto the truck and provide you with a bill of lading. Depending on the distance of your move, the driver may let you know the drop-off window during pickup. Then, your car will begin its journey.
If you were not provided a drop-off window at pickup, you will receive a call from the driver a day before your window begins to let you know when to expect them. When they arrive to drop off your car, you will need to pay the final balance for your car shipping in cash or a cashier’s check.
For those who do not want to pay with cash or cashier’s check, notify AmeriFreight in advance, as alternative payment arrangements, like Zelle and CashApp, can be made. If you do not make these arrangements in advance, however, the driver will need to be paid in cash before he will unload your vehicle.
AmeriFreight is perfect for people who want quality service on a budget
AmeriFreight is best for those who need a vehicle shipped and are on a budget. They are one of the cheapest car shippers in the industry but customer reviews indicate that service isn’t sacrificed for lower prices.
AmeriFreight is also perfect for customers who:
- Are making a long-distance move and don’t want to drive
- Are flexible with pickup and drop-off times
- Want to choose their method of payment and don’t mind placing a deposit.
If you are looking for vehicle transport as part of a larger move, a full-service moving company might be a better choice for you. Take a look at our picks for best moving companies and best interstate movers to find a top-rated company that also offers car shipping services.
Why is AmeriFreight so cheap?
AmeriFreight is committed to providing customers with the best prices possible, and they do this by looking at a large number of car shipping companies to find the best one for you. They also offer many discounts that other vehicle shipping companies don’t have.
How long has AmeriFreight been in business?
AmeriFreight was founded in 2004.
Is AmeriFreight a legitimate company?
AmeriFreight is a legally registered auto transport company authorized to broker vehicle moves within the United States. They are not authorized to move freight, furniture, or other household goods.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!