Here’s the bottom line: Sherpa Auto Transport is a gem in the auto shipping industry. Its reviews demonstrate a short — but consistent — history of providing a top-notch customer experience in an industry that sometimes has a reputation for using shady marketing tactics.
89% of users select this mover
Sherpa Auto Transport’s business strategy and service offerings are refreshing in the auto transport industry, and customer ratings support this claim.
Sherpa Auto Transport earned its spot on our list of the best car shipping companies due to its impressive customer ratings and transparent pricing model, thanks to its Price-Lock Promise.
While it may not be able to fulfill all vehicle shipping needs — especially if you have an RV, motorcycle, or boat — its various guarantees can provide valuable peace of mind from your initial quote to delivery.
Although they’ve only been in business since 2017, customer reviews set them apart from other car transport companies by a long shot. We’ve saved you the hassle of researching by compiling the most important details about Sherpa Auto Transport. Keep reading to make an informed choice for your situation.
Pros & cons of moving with Sherpa Auto Transport
- Price-Lock Promise ensures no unexpected pricing changes after the initial quote
- Clean Car Guarantee promises the vehicle will be returned clean and free of damage or Sherpa will provide reimbursement for a free car wash
- All carriers hold a minimum of $1 million in liability coverage and $100,000 in cargo insurance coverage
- Offers shipping options for sedans, SUVs, and classic cars
- Provides door-to-door vehicle shipping, including pickup and drop-off
- Can ship vehicles regardless of operability
- Positive customer reviews across multiple review sites
- Discounts for military members and returning customers
- Provides expedited pickup options (at an additional fee)
- Offers open and enclosed transport options
- Can pay initial deposit with credit card online (due upon carrier assignment)
- Doesn’t require payment for booking
- Services the 48 contiguous US states and Hawaii — meaning no service to Alaska
- Terminal-to-terminal service is not available
- Doesn’t transport boats, motorcycles, ATVs, RVs, golf carts, or trailers
- Must call for real-time tracking updates
- Doesn’t offer storage services
- Newer to the industry compared to veteran auto transport brokers
- No guaranteed pickup or delivery dates
- $25 dispatch fee if you cancel before a carrier is assigned
- Final payment due in cash or certified check only
What to learn more about your options when it comes to moving a vehicle? Check out our guide to the best car shipping companies.Learn More
- Sherpa Auto Transport (USDOT#3053476) is an auto transport company that brokers enclosed and open car shipping solutions for customers in the contiguous United States and Hawaii.
- Glowing customer reviews and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) indicate the company provides stress-free car shipping services and transparent pricing you can count on.
- Sherpa Auto Transport exclusively provides door-to-door delivery for residences and businesses, so you don’t have to go out of your way to pick up or drop off your vehicle at a terminal.
Jump to the Sherpa Auto Transport info you’re looking for:
- Sherpa Auto Transport pricing: How much it costs to move
- Sherpa Auto Transport offers a wide variety of services
- How Sherpa Auto Transport stacks up against the competition
- How moving with Sherpa Auto Transport works
- Sherpa Auto Transport is perfect for people who…
Sherpa Auto Transport pricing: How much it costs to move
Sherpa’s Price-Lock Promise guarantees you won’t be subject to bait-and-switch pricing by locking in your initial quote. It may not be the cheapest auto transport company on the market, but it emphasizes transparent pricing and excellent customer service.
Customers can call the customer service phone number directly for a rate quote or get a quote online. Formal quotes are all-inclusive, meaning they won’t have hidden fees or taxes. Prices are calculated based on various factors, including scheduling, vehicle size, weight, and distance.
Discounts may apply for students, military members, repeat customers, and those moving multiple vehicles. However, Sherpa doesn’t have any details about the discounts on its website. Customers who choose the Carrier Payment option may qualify for a special rate when paying in cash or with a certified check.
Customers make the initial payment via credit card after they secure a carrier, and the remaining balance is payable directly to the carrier upon the vehicle’s delivery. Customers may also pay the total amount via credit card if they selected that option during the quote process, or make a final payment by cash or certified check upon delivery.
Cancellations made before a carrier is assigned are subject to a $25 dispatch fee. Cancellations after carrier assignment result in the forfeiture of any initial payment.
Even if the broker can’t locate a suitable carrier, it will contribute up to $300 toward your initial payment to ensure your move happens on your budget.
Compare your shipping costs to other car shipping carriers using our moving cost calculator.
Sherpa Auto Transport offers a wide variety of services
Sherpa offers various auto transport services to meet their clients’s shipping needs. These services include:
- Open transport: The most affordable option involves transporting the vehicle in an open-air carrier. The primary downside is that the car will be exposed to the weather, dust, and possible airborne debris.
- Enclosed vehicle transport: For an additional cost, customers can upgrade enclosed transport to have their vehicle transported in a fully enclosed car carrier. Enclosed trailers are recommended for antique cars.
- Expedited transport services: The company can accelerate the vehicle’s transportation to the destination if you opt to pay more.
You can transport operable and inoperable vehicles if they brake, roll, and steer.
You should prepare your vehicles and complete the following checks before pickup:
- Provide all keys, including for the fuel door or trunk, if applicable
- Confirm that the fuel tank is at least one quarter full and any alarm system is turned off
- Remove any aftermarket accessories and modifications and note them in writing
- Confirm that tire pressure is sufficient and doors, windows, brakes, and battery are functional
All Sherpa Auto Transport reservations include basic valuation. This protection plan provides coverage of $0.60 per pound per item up to a maximum of $10,000 without a deductible. For example, a customer would receive $30 in compensation for a 50-pound piece of damaged or lost furniture. Customers must complete a high-value article inventory form for items over $100 per pound.
Additional insurance is available for purchase from several sources. You can buy Full Value Protection directly through Monster or by using MovingInsurance.com up to 72 hours before your move. Full Value Protection requires written disclosure of the value of all items in the inventory. Pricing may vary based on the deductible you choose.
You should review your existing homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policies to see if they include any moving-related coverage.
How Sherpa Auto Transport stacks up against the competition
The auto transport industry is practically the wild, wild west — anything can happen. Most car shipping companies are brokers, which means the quality of their car shipping services often hinges on their ability to vet carriers.
Let’s see how Sherpa Auto Transport compares to similar brokers, so you can make the best decision for your upcoming move.
Sherpa Auto Transport vs. Montway Auto Transport
Sherpa Auto Transport operates very similarly to Montway Auto Transport. Both companies provide enclosed and open door-to-door shipping services and a convenient quote process, but Montway is one of the few auto transport companies that facilitate international moves. Sherpa does not offer this service.
89% of users select this mover
Like Sherpa, Montway has a positive reputation with hundreds of positive customer reviews across several review sites and it has an A+ rating from BBB. Both companies hold at least $100,000 in cargo insurance for peace of mind during the auto transport process.
However, Montway allows customers to track their vehicles by GPS during transit, which can make a big difference for customers who have a lot of anxiety about their vehicle and their expected delivery timeline.
Sherpa Auto Transport vs. Ship A Car Direct
Like Sherpa and Montway, Ship A Car Direct has an impressive industry reputation and a stellar BBB rating. It also offers enclosed and open auto transport options. However, it doesn’t offer any guaranteed delivery dates, even for an additional fee.
89% of users select this mover
Neither company services transport to Alaska, but both Ship A Car Direct and Sherpa can get a vehicle to Hawaii. Neither company offers international shipping, but they both use a door-to-door delivery model, meaning they’ll get the car as close to the destination location as possible without needing to meet up at a terminal.
Ship A Car Direct wins out in one key area of convenience, though. Sherpa generally requires customers to pay their final balance directly to their carrier either by certified check or cash, but Ship A Car Direct has a more streamlined electronic payment process.
|International car shipping?
|Sherpa Auto Transport
|Montway Auto Transport
|Ship A Car Direct
If you need to ship a vehicle as part of a bigger relocation, there are some moving companies that move cars and furniture that you might want to learn more about.
How moving with Sherpa Auto Transport works
You can start the conversation with Sherpa Auto by requesting an instant quote online or calling the company’s customer service line. During the quote process, you’ll be asked how many vehicles you have, the make and model of those vehicles, the type of transport you want, and details about the pickup and drop-off locations.
89% of users select this mover
If you’re satisfied with the estimate, you can go ahead and book directly. Once you complete booking, Sherpa guarantees those locked-in prices.
The company recommends scheduling car shipping services as far in advance as possible to ensure you get your preferred delivery date. The standard delivery window is about five business days, but weather and carrier availability may require additional flexibility.
At pickup, the carrier will assess your vehicle and ask you to sign the bill of lading before dispatch. From here, you can request real-time tracking updates by phone anytime during the shipping process.
Sherpa Auto Transport provides door-to-door delivery, so you won’t have to go far to receive or dispatch your vehicle. However, urban areas may impose limitations. In these cases, carriers will get as close to the delivery location as possible.
Finally, your vehicle will be delivered and you’ll sign the final bill of lading and pay your balance. If you haven’t elected credit card payment in advance, you will need cash or a certified check made out to the carrier.
Sherpa Auto Transport’s Clean Car Guarantee promises that your vehicle will be returned to you in the condition you gave it to them. The company will reimburse you for a car wash if it has debris.
Sherpa Auto Transport is perfect for people who want a reliable broker with a stellar reputation
Customers frequently complain of bait-and-switch pricing tactics in the auto shipping industry, where they’re lured in with a good deal only to be stuck with a hefty bill down the line. Sherpa Auto Transport simplifies this process by confidently pricing car shipping services the first time.
The company is so confident, in fact, that it provides a Price-Lock Promise. This guarantee ensures that the company will subsidize shipping costs (up to $300) if they inaccurately estimate the final price.
Former customers indicate Sherpa Auto Transport has a stellar reputation for providing excellent customer service, accurate pricing, and a seamless shipping process.
Sherpa Auto Transport might as well be the ideal auto shipping company. If there’s a way to ship your car without the hassle, Sherpa Auto Transport could just be it. Even the best car shipping companies field their fair share of complaints, but nearly every review calls out Sherpa’s excellent customer service experience.
Sherpa Auto Transport has developed a winning formula for differentiating itself from other brokers. They facilitate the transportation of passenger vehicles cross-country in all states, except Alaska. The motor carriers they use have proper insurance and reputations for honesty and reliability. They’re pre-vetted so that you can trust them.
The company offers unique benefits that add value, such as its Clean Car Guarantee. Customer satisfaction levels are high, and Sherpa Auto Transport appears to be an excellent option if you want a stress-free car shipping experience.
For more help choosing the right vehicle shipping company, check out our complete list and reviews of the best car shipping companies.
How do auto transport brokers work?
Auto transport brokers handle the logistics, including scheduling, paperwork, and insurance on behalf of smaller local carriers that may not have the resources to interface with customers while providing services. Brokers earn money by increasing their carriers’ rates and taking a percentage.
Is Sherpa Auto Transport a broker?
Yes, Sherpa Auto Transport is a broker. It connects customers to local and vetted carriers who will move vehicles on the company’s behalf.
How reliable is Sherpa Auto Transport?
Sherpa Auto Transport has an A+ rating and a 4.9 out of 5 star rating from its customers on the BBB. It also holds strong ratings across review sites, including Yelp, Google Reviews, and Consumer Affairs, indicating a reputation for customer satisfaction.
What is the difference between Sherpa Auto Transport and other car shipping companies?
The biggest difference between Sherpa Auto Transport and other car shipping companies is its accurate pricing backed by its Price-Lock Guarantee. Look up just about any car shipping company, and you’ll see a wide variety of customer experiences, both positive and negative. Sherpa Auto Transport consistently receives glowing customer reviews.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!