Here’s the bottom line: Ship A Car Direct offers competitive pricing, and its Damage Free-Guarantee goes the extra mile by providing an additional layer of insurance coverage.
89% of users select this mover
It’s not the best option if you’re shipping a vehicle on a tight time frame because they don’t offer delivery date guarantees.
Ship A Car Direct tows the line between cheap car transport and affordable prices. While it may not be the absolute lowest-priced option on the market, it can provide excellent rates if you’re willing to be flexible with your delivery and pickup dates.
In the auto transport industry, it’s common for carriers to provide an estimated arrival and delivery window. Some customers don’t like this uncertainty and prefer to pay more for a guarantee, but Ship A Car Direct doesn’t offer that option.
If you’re willing to adjust your schedule to accommodate car shipping services outside a rigid time frame, Ship A Car Direct could be one of the best car shipping companies for you.
Keep reading to dive deep into our review of Ship A Car Direct.
Pros & cons of moving with Ship A Car Direct
- Partners with a vast network of auto shipping companies and carriers nationwide
- Offers open and enclosed transport, plus specialized services for classic cars
- Customer support chat with live agents and bots
- Damage-Free Guarantee provides $500 in gap insurance coverage toward your deductible
- A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Overwhelmingly positive customer reviews and consistently high star ratings across various sites, including BBB, TrustPilot, and Yelp
- Doesn’t require an upfront deposit
- Vets all carriers’ credentials and insurance
- Offers free online estimates without soliciting contact info
- Shipping options regardless of vehicle’s operability
- Competitive pricing compared to Montway Auto Transport and other car shipping brokers
- Doesn’t offer GPS tracking in transit
- No guaranteed pickup or delivery dates available
- Doesn’t operate in Alaska, North Dakota, or South Dakota
- Estimates aren’t binding, so vehicle shipping costs can change
- Some customer reviews report their vehicles arrived dirty
- Website is bare-bones and doesn’t offer much information
- Doesn’t offer storage
- Ship A Car Direct (USDOT#2241272) maintains a strong overall rating compared to other car carriers, but it doesn’t offer guaranteed delivery or pick-up, so you’ll need some flexibility in your schedule.
- The Damage-Free Guarantee provides additional peace of mind that customers won’t have to dig deep into their pockets to pay their insurance deductible if their car arrives damaged. Ship A Car Direct will contribute up to $500 toward valid claims.
- Ship A Car Direct’s pricing is competitive, and its carriers tend to be communicative during the shipping process, according to customer reviews.
Jump to the Ship A Car Direct info you’re looking for:
- Ship A Car Direct pricing: How much it costs to move
- Ship A Car Direct offers a wide variety of services
- How Ship A Car Direct stacks up against the competition
- How moving with Ship A Car Direct works
- Ship A Car Direct is perfect for people who…
Ship A Car Direct pricing: How much it costs to move
Ship A Car Direct’s costs are split into two different fees. First, you’ll pay a broker fee when assigned a car carrier. Then, you’ll pay your remaining balance to the car carrier directly upon delivery.
89% of users select this mover
Ship A Car Direct offers two online quote tools, a live chat service, and a direct phone number.
The online quote calculator tool will provide an estimated range based on your origin and destination locations, the year, make, and model of your vehicle, and operability status. You don’t have to provide any contact information, which demonstrates Ship A Car’s commitment to transparent pricing.
Many car shippers will collect your information only to harass you with marketing calls until the end of time. The estimator tool eliminates that hassle. However, this quote tool doesn’t connect customers with carriers.
More motivated customers can request a quote through the online form, but there will be some lag time while the broker calculates pricing. Once they find carriers, you’ll receive an email or phone call reviewing your estimate. Customers who would rather talk to the broker directly can call at 866-221-1664.
We’ve compiled a few estimates from the car shipping calculator. For simplicity’s sake, all quotes below are for a 2016 Scion IM using open transport. Your prices may vary if you’re shipping multiple vehicles, a classic car, or electing enclosed transport.
|Los Angeles to Houston||$1,000–$1,200|
|Chicago to Philadelphia||$600–$800|
|Naples, Florida, to Milwaukee||$725–$925|
It’s important to note that Ship A Car Direct’s quotes are only estimates. The final cost can change during transit based on season, vehicle, transport type, and other factors, so you’ll need some wiggle room in your budget.
You can use our moving cost calculator to compare quotes from several auto shipping companies until you find the best option.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Ship A Car Direct offers a wide variety of services
Ship A Car Direct offers a basic suite of car shipping services.
- Door-to-door delivery: Ship A Car Direct partners with partner car carriers to ship vehicles over short and long distances in 47 U.S. states, including Hawaii.
- Non-operable vehicle transport: As long as the vehicle can brake, roll, and steer, it can be shipped, but a $150 additional fee is required if it’s otherwise inoperable.
- Open carrier transport: Ship A Car Direct offers affordably priced transport on open carriers.
- Enclosed auto transport: While more expensive, Ship A Car Direct will coordinate transportation in enclosed carriers for customers who want a more secure shipping experience.
- Classic car transport services: If you need to transport a classic or collectible vehicle, Ship A Car Direct will facilitate specialty services on your behalf to ensure it arrives undamaged.
- Insurance Coverage: Ship A Car Direct vets its carriers to ensure they carry the required insurance, which will be the first line of defense if damage occurs. However, the company also offers a Damage-Free Guarantee where they’ll contribute up to $500 toward your deductible if you have to file a claim.
Ship A Car Direct cannot transport any household goods across state lines according to its terms and conditions, so it is not a substitute for hiring a moving company, even if you only have a few boxes.
How Ship A Car Direct stacks up against the competition
Ship A Car Direct holds a spot on our best car shipping companies. Its reputation of positive customer reviews makes it stand out in the auto transport industry.
Customer reviews frequently cite fair pricing, efficient shipping times, and no vehicle damage upon delivery. Dozens of customers end their reviews by stating they’d recommend Ship A Car Direct to anyone and they’d use them again.
The small number of negative reviews mention unexpected changes in estimates by the time their vehicle was delivered and issues coordinating a pickup date. A representative from the company responds to these reviews offering sincere apologies, which we consider a good sign of customer service.
Overall, Ship A Car Direct offers convenient car shipping services at a competitive price point. It services most U.S. states, including Hawaii, but it won’t be able to assist with relocating to Alaska, North Dakota, or South Dakota.
Ship A Car Direct vs. SGT Auto Transport
Ship A Car Direct offers similar services to SGT Auto Transport, but the SGT Auto holds our best overall rating due to its guaranteed pickup and delivery dates, convenient quote process, and door-to-door service.
Neither company operates in Alaska. That isn’t uncommon in the auto transport industry, but it is still worth noting. SGT maintains its competitive edge by price matching any carrier that beats its estimate, which further sets it apart from Ship A Car Direct.
While both companies maintain a strong reputation on the Better Business Bureau and various customer review sites, SGT remains our fan-favorite auto transport company for its pricing, nationwide availability, and international shipping options.
Ship A Car Direct vs. Sherpa Auto Transport
Sherpa Auto Transport is another beloved name in the car shipping business and one of the best auto transport companies we’ve personally reviewed.
Both companies offer door-to-door delivery, but Sherpa’s service area is further reaching. While Ship A Car Direct isn’t available in Alaska, North Dakota, or South Dakota, Sherpa services all states except Hawaii.
Similar to Ship A Car Direct, Sherpa Auto Transport requires customers to maintain flexibility with their pickup and delivery dates. While Ship A Car Direct generally requires customers to accept this as fact, Sherpa Auto Transport will work on expedited timelines for an additional cost.
Both companies offer enclosed and open carrier transport options, making them ideal for customers who need the utmost safety during vehicle transport and those who prioritize affordability.
Sherpa’s main restriction is that it requires customers to pay their final balance in cash or certified check whereas Ship A Car Direct is more advanced with electronic payment methods.
|Company||BBB score||State availability||International car shipping?|
|Ship A Car Direct||A+||47||No|
|SGT Auto Transport||A||49||Yes|
|Sherpa Auto Transport||A+||49||No|
How moving with Ship A Car Direct works
Ship A Car Direct’s shipping process is straightforward, but it doesn’t offer any delivery or pickup date guarantees, so it can create some stress if you’re on a tight schedule.
You can begin the car shipping process by requesting a quote and confirming your reservation. You’ll be able to submit an estimated pickup and delivery date, and the company will do its best to find a carrier to accommodate, but it typically comes at a premium.
When you request a quote, Ship A Car Direct will provide a range –– rigid timeframes will have higher prices and fewer carrier options, whereas flexibility allows more carriers to bid.
89% of users select this mover
Once you confirm your carrier, you will pay a broker fee to Ship A Car Direct online. Then, the company will provide contact information for your selected carrier. Different carriers have different procedures. You’ll want to prioritize communication at this stage so you know what to expect.
Most carriers will give you a follow-up call to let you know when to anticipate pickup and delivery. It could be a few hours or a few days. Generally, you’ll have an expected delivery window so you can plan in advance.
Upon pickup, you’ll inspect your vehicle — noting any pre-existing damage — and sign the bill of lading. You can contact your carrier directly for updates on the shipping process. If you’re unable to reach them, Ship A Car Direct will intervene.
The carrier won’t collect payment from you until you have your car back in your hands. At delivery, your carrier will present another bill of lading, and you’ll be able to note any new damage here and start the claims process, if needed.
If you need to file a claim, you’ll start with the carrier’s insurance coverage. Ship A Car Direct doesn’t cover damage directly, but its Damage-Free Guarantee will subsidize up to $500 toward your deductible.
Ship A Car Direct is perfect for people who have a flexible schedule
Ship A Car Direct’s competitive pricing and significant nationwide reach make it an excellent resource for Americans shipping their vehicles short and long distances. The company doesn’t offer any pickup or delivery guarantees, so it’s a better option for customers who don’t mind extended arrival windows when dealing with carriers.
It’s also ideal for customers who have extra anxiety about shipping their car because the Damage Free Guarantee mitigates much of the financial strain of paying an unexpected insurance deductible.
Looking for more secure transport? Consult our best car shipping companies for enclosed transport round-up to find a fit for your needs.
Want to work with the best of the best? Check out our breakdown of the best car shipping companies for your specific needs.Learn More
If you’re shipping a vehicle as part of a larger move, keep in mind that some full-service moving companies can provide car shipping assistance. Take a look at our picks for best moving companies to see if any of them meet your specific relocation needs.
Can you track a car being shipped?
Yes, you can track a car being shipped, but different companies use different technology. Some companies offer GPS tracking, while others — like Ship A Car Direct — require customers to call their carriers for updates.
How fast is car transport?
Car transport can be fast over short distances, but several factors influence auto transport time, including pickup and drop-off locations, transport type, season, and road conditions. Below, you’ll find general time frame estimates for the car shipping process.
|0–500 miles||1-2 days|
|500–1,000 miles||2–3 days|
|1,000–1,500 miles||3–4 days|
|1,500–2,000 miles||5–6 days|
|2,000–2,500 miles||6–7 days|
|2,500–3,000 miles||7–8 days|
|3,000+ miles||10–12 days|
Ship A Car Direct estimates coast-to-coast transport services will take about 7–10 days. Vehicle transport from the coast to the Midwest will take an average of 3–7 days.
What is the most cost-effective way to ship a car?
Open transport is the most cost-effective way to ship a car. While it leaves vehicles vulnerable to road debris and dirt, many car manufacturers ship them this way and without issue. Request shipping quotes from several auto transport companies to find the best value for your situation.
Want more cost-saving info? Check out our guide on the cheapest ways to ship your car across the country.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!