Here’s the bottom line: If you’re in need of a storage unit, CubeSmart is a great option to consider. The company offers a wide variety of storage unit sizes, ranging from small lockers to 10 x 30-foot units that can hold as much as a 26-foot moving truck. Flexible contracts also make it easy to find a storage solution to fit your needs.
CubeSmart is well-deserving of its spot on our list of the best self-storage companies, thanks to its versatile offerings and overall affordability (the company regularly offers discounts). But it’s worth noting that CubeSmart has received some negative online reviews from customers dissatisfied with service and sudden price increases.
However, with great prices and availability, the company is definitely a worthwhile option for most people in need of some extra storage space.
Pros & cons of CubeSmart
- Offers a wide range of storage unit sizes
- 1,400+ CubeSmart facilities nationwide
- Has climate-controlled units and vehicle storage
- Wide variety of available discounts
- Only available in 41 states and Washington, D.C. (not available in AK, HI, ID, MT, ND, OR, SD, WV, or WY)
- Limited video monitoring depending on location
- CubeSmart offers competitive rates on a wide range of storage unit sizes, making their facilities ideal for storing anything from a few belongings to up to a five-bedroom home’s worth of contents.
- While there are some complaints of poor in-person customer service, CubeSmart’s user-friendly online search and reservation feature makes it easy to find available units near you.
- Some CubeSmart facilities come with extra perks, like free use of a moving truck or the ability to purchase packing supplies. However, the availability of these services varies by location.
Looking for storage options during a move instead of self storage? Check out some of these best moving container companies that include 30 days of free storage when you book a move!Learn More
Jump to the CubeSmart info you’re looking for:
- CubeSmart pricing: How much it costs for self storage
- CubeSmart offers a wide variety of services
- How CubeSmart stacks up against the competition
- How self storage with CubeSmart works
- CubeSmart is perfect for people who…
CubeSmart pricing: How much it costs for self storage
CubeSmart offers very competitive pricing, especially if you make a reservation online. With transparent pricing and a variety of available discounts — including for active military and college students — it’s easy to determine if you can find something that fits your storage needs and your budget.
CubeSmart cost factors
The following are some of the key cost factors in determining your storage unit prices at CubeSmart:
- Location: The location you use for CubeSmart storage can have a significant influence on your pricing — even in the same town! For example, when we looked up storage prices for facilities in Chandler, Arizona, the price for a small unit ranged from $18 to $55. Supply and demand for each facility often plays a role in these price differences.
- Administrative fee: Cubesmart charges a one-time $29 administrative fee when you move into your unit.
- Online or in-store purchase: CubeSmart offers discounts of up to 50% off when you select your storage unit online.
- Size and type of unit: The larger your storage unit, the more you can expect to pay. Similarly, you can expect to pay more for a climate-controlled unit than a drive-up unit.
- Discounts: CubeSmart’s military discount can be added to the online order discount for even more savings. The company also offers special deals for college students. First-month discounts are also regularly available.
CubeSmart offers a wide variety of services
CubeSmart’s available services can vary depending on the facility. As such, you’ll want to check that the individual facility offers your preferred storage options when making a reservation.
Check out some of CubeSmart’s services:
- Household storage: Household storage is a cornerstone of CubeSmart’s business, with storage unit sizes ranging from 5 x 5-foot lockers to 10 x 30-foot units that can hold the contents of a five-bedroom house. No matter how much storage space you need, you’ll find a place to fit your extra possessions.
- Climate-controlled storage: Many CubeSmart facilities offer climate-controlled units to protect items that are sensitive to humidity and extreme temperatures, like fine art, antiques, and wood furniture.
- Vehicle storage: Some locations offer vehicle storage for cars, RVs, motorcycles, and even boats.
- Business storage: In addition to offering storage units for commercial use, some CubeSmart facilities have office and retail space rentals, allowing business customers to take care of multiple business needs at the same location.
- Packing supplies: CubeSmart sells a variety of moving and packing supplies, including standard cardboard boxes, wardrobe boxes, dish/glass partition kits and protection kits, packing tape, mattress covers, and bubble wrap.
- Moving trucks: Many CubeSmart facilities offer free use of a moving truck for up to four hours for when you unload your unit at a local area. The company also offers special discounts on Penske truck rentals. In addition to its moving truck deals, you can also use a pushcart or dolly to help you move heavy items into or out of your storage unit.
How CubeSmart stacks up against the competition
So, how does CubeSmart stack up against Public Storage or Extra Space Storage, two of our other top picks for best self-storage companies?
With its already competitive prices and variety of discounts, CubeSmart generally beats out its competitors in terms of pricing, but this isn’t the only factor to consider.
CubeSmart vs. Public Storage
In our own research, CubeSmart locations generally offer lower pricing than Public Storage. But one area where Public Storage definitely has the upper hand is its availability. Public Storage has more than 3,000 facilities nationwide, compared to CubeSmart’s approximately 1,400 branches. This can make it easier to find a Public Storage near you, even in states that are served by both companies.
CubeSmart and Public Storage are fairly similar in terms of service offerings. Both offer month-to-month contracts, climate-controlled storage, and vehicle storage.
However, Public Storage sets itself apart with its focus on environmental responsibility. Many of its facilities use LED lighting, solar power generation, and 100% recycled moving boxes to reduce the environmental impact of moving and storage.
CubeSmart vs. Extra Space Storage
Extra Space Storage is another noteworthy self-storage option, thanks to its emphasis on security. Extra Space’s facilities feature 24-hour video surveillance, coded access entry, and alarms for individual units. Considering CubeSmart’s monitoring systems vary from location to location, Extra Space Storage’s focus on security certainly stands out.
While Extra Space Storage also lets users rent or reserve storage units online, the process for ending a rental can require a bit more work. You must provide 10- to 15-days’ notice before moving out of your unit, which can make last-minute moves harder to handle. There are also some complaints about significant price hikes after the low introductory rate.
|Company||BBB score||State availability||Free moving truck?|
|CubeSmart||D-||41 states + Washington, D.C.||Yes|
|Public Storage||NR||41 states + Washington, D.C.||No|
|Extra Space Storage||A+||42 states + Washington, D.C.||No|
How self storage with CubeSmart works
Renting a CubeSmart storage unit is quite easy, especially since you can complete so much of the process online. To get started, visit the company’s website to search for facilities by location. You’ll get a list of nearby facilities with pricing and other information so you can select the right unit for your needs.
To complete your reservation, simply enter your contact information and expected move-in date. You don’t need to provide your credit card information at that time, and you’ll receive a confirmation email after you make your reservation. You can also change your reservation if needed.
The first time you visit your CubeSmart facility, you’ll check in with the facility manager to get your gate code and access to your unit. You’ll need to show your ID when you check in. Then, you can take everything into the facility and unload at your preferred pace.
After you’ve moved everything in, you’ll be able to access your storage unit during “gate hours,” which are longer than typical office hours. CubeSmart’s facilities offer month-to-month leases, and you can pay online, in the office, over the phone, or via the CubeSmart app.
CubeSmart does not require advance notice to move out. However, if you want to use their free moving truck, you’ll want to talk to the site manager in advance to confirm its availability for your preferred date.
CubeSmart is perfect for people who need affordable, flexible storage
Self-storage facilities are a great way to keep costs down if you need temporary storage during a move or a place to store your extra possessions after you’ve settled into your new home. CubeSmart is a solid choice in this regard because of its low prices, easy online booking system, and flexible month-to-month contracts.
Since you don’t even need to provide advance notice before you move out, CubeSmart can be especially beneficial for situations when you’re not sure when you’ll be able to move into a new home or apartment. For short-term storage needs, they can’t be beat.
If you plan on using them for long-term storage, you should be aware that, as is the case with many self-storage companies, monthly rent often goes up over time. So, if you’re looking for long-term storage, you may eventually find yourself needing to switch to a different location to keep costs down.
Why do CubeSmart rates vary?
CubeSmart rates vary by location, typically based on supply and demand. Rates can change from day to day, but if you reserve a unit, you will be locked into the rate you received at the time of booking.
Does CubeSmart have vehicle storage?
Yes, CubeSmart has vehicle storage. While availability varies by location, CubeSmart offers storage for cars, motorcycles, RVs, and boats.
How can I cancel my CubeSmart lease?
You can cancel your CubeSmart lease by contacting the company’s customer service line at (844) 248-3104 or speaking to your facility manager. You don’t need to provide advance notice prior to your move-out date.
Does CubeSmart offer any additional services?
Aside from standard and climate-controlled storage units for residential and commercial customers, CubeSmart also sells a wide range of high-quality packing supplies you can use for your move. Many facilities also let you reserve a free moving truck for up to four hours for local use.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!