Here’s the bottom line: RoadRunner is an experienced auto shipper that brokers transport for all types of vehicles nationwide.
RoadRunner’s salespeople work with customers to secure the sale by providing competitive quotes and answering any questions before signing a contract and confirming the booking. From that point forward, the shipping carrier has to execute the transport. However, RoadRunner offers priority customer support services to all its customers, so it will work with you to find a solution wherever applicable.
Keep reading to find out if RoadRunner is the right auto transport company for your needs.
Pros & cons of shipping your car with RoadRunner Auto
- 30+ years of experience
- Car transport services are available in all 50 U.S. states, plus Puerto Rico and the Caribbean
- Flexible live customer support availability (Monday–Saturday)
- No upfront deposit needed
- Offers a $1,500 college scholarship for students
- Provides oversized vehicle shipping services, including RVs and specialty vehicles, such as classic cars
- User-friendly tracking during the shipping process
- Offers a wide variety of transport services, including door-to-door service and open and enclosed transport
- Doesn’t offer terminal-to-terminal services
- Limit on personal items placed within your vehicle (may not exceed 100 pounds)
- The pickup time frame is often three to four days and you have to be there in person
Want to move your household belongings and furniture with your car? Check out the best professional movers for companies that can handle it all for you.Learn More
- RoadRunner (USDOT#3124544) is a licensed auto transport company based out of Bethpage, New York, and it services car shipments in all 50 states.
- RoadRunner remains an accident-free car shipper with an expansive network of carriers nationwide.
- The auto transport company offers diverse service offerings, including open and enclosed transport and oversized vehicles.
Jump to the RoadRunner Auto Transport info you’re looking for:
- RoadRunner Auto pricing: How much it costs for car shipping
- RoadRunner Auto Transport offers a wide variety of services
- How RoadRunner Auto stacks up against the competition
- How shipping with RoadRunner Auto Transport works
- Should you use RoadRunner Auto Transport to ship your car?
RoadRunner Auto pricing: How much it costs for car shipping
The cost of transport depends on several factors, such as distance (mileage), type of vehicle, and selected upgrades like enclosed shipping or top-load service.
Below is a sample cost table between some major cities across the U.S. for a mid-sized sedan.
You can make payments via credit card, checking transfer, and certified check. Payments made directly to the driver must be made in cash, certified check, or postal money order.
Basic liability coverage is included on all vehicles while in transit. Comprehensive coverage options are available at an additional cost by speaking with an agent.
RoadRunner Auto Transport offers a wide variety of services
Roadrunner has auto transport services for individuals, businesses, and specialty needs:
- Open carrier: The most economical and popular way that vehicles are shipped is in open carriers that are equipped to transport between two and 10 at a time. You’re encouraged to schedule a pickup at least two weeks in advance, although this isn’t required. Expedited service is available for an additional cost if you need fast transport.
- Enclosed carrier: For an additional cost, high-priced or specialty vehicles can be shipped in an enclosed carrier to protect them from the elements.
- Cross-country shipping: RoadRunner offers nationwide door-to-door transport of vehicles. Requests may be made for top load service, where the vehicle is loaded in the upper section of the trailer to avoid leaks or debris falling from above.
- Seasonal relocations: People needing snowbird auto transport or other seasonal shipping can do so safely to any location nationwide. This may be a more cost-effective option compared to renting a vehicle upon arrival at a destination.
- Military relocations and college moves: RoadRunner is a veteran-owned company that handles transports for military members and manages out-of-state sales or purchases. College students may appreciate having access to fast vehicle shipping services. Both of these groups of customers are encouraged to ask their representatives about eligibility for discounted rates.
- Dealer and auction sales: New and used automobile dealers may have vehicles transported from auctions to customers or other dealers. For dealers, RoadRunner will assign a shipping coordinator and provide access to tracking and updates through a centralized dealer dashboard.
- Corporate relocations: RoadRunner facilitates corporate vehicle transports nationwide, including for those with multiple sites that would benefit from their logistical expertise.
- Fleet management: Volume vehicle shipping services are available for commercial customers nationwide. Roadrunner pairs all these customers with a designated shipping coordinator, who serves as a central point of contact and an account manager during the process.
- Oversized vehicles: RoadRunner has the equipment and experience to safely transport oversized items, including heavy equipment, RVs, boats, campers, and vehicles with low ground clearance.
- Motorcycles: The company will move motorcycles strapped to a pallet via an enclosed container.
- Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico: Vehicles destined for Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico are loaded aboard a vessel that sails weekly. You can easily track these transports online.
How RoadRunner Auto stacks up against the competition
RoadRunner Auto Transport is a great fit for customers who want an auto broker with decades of experience and a huge network of carriers to accommodate nearly every need. That said, it’s always a good idea to request multiple quotes and compare the value of your requested services against similar companies.
We’ve pulled two from our best car shipping companies round-up for comparison. Montway Auto Transport and Easy Auto Ship are among the most similar to RoadRunner in terms of experience, service area, technology, and overall offerings.
RoadRunner Auto Transport vs. Montway Auto Transport
Montway Auto Transport is our best overall car shipper. It has competitively low prices and a far-reaching service area that covers every corner of the U.S. and many of its territories. Montway also doesn’t require an upfront deposit.
89% of users select this mover
Montway’s services are remarkably similar to RoadRunner, but RoadRunner edges it out by offering more oversized vehicle services. Montway isn’t able to ship RVs, but RoadRunner can.
RoadRunner Auto Transport vs. Easy Auto Ship
Like RoadRunner and Montway, Easy Auto Ship services all 50 states. The company boasts that it has convenient online tracking services, but many customers report that these services are glitchy. RoadRunner doesn’t have these same complaints.
89% of users select this mover
That said, Easy Auto Ship is consistently affordable and has all the capabilities to ship oversized and specialty vehicles. The company offers straightforward pricing without hidden fees, so you can trust you’re not going to be gouged down the line.
|Instant car shipping quote?
|Oversized vehicle services?
|RoadRunner Auto Transport
|All 50 states (plus Puerto Rico)
|Montway Auto Transport
|All 50 states (plus Puerto Rico)
|Easy Auto Ship
|All 50 states (plus Puerto Rico)
How shipping with RoadRunner Auto Transport works
RoadRunner makes the car shipping process simple and it outlines each step of the process on its website, complete with substantial educational resources to keep you informed.
In simplest terms, the auto transport process is only three steps.
1. Request a quote
First, you’ll request an instant shipping quote. If you do it online, the form will need your origin and destination zip codes, but you won’t need to provide exact addresses. From there, you’ll provide details about the make, model, and year of your vehicle. It’s important to note that inoperable vehicles cost extra to ship.
At this point, you can add more than one vehicle if necessary. You’ll choose your desired shipping date and submit your contact information. The process by phone is very similar, but you’ll have a real-life person to talk to throughout.
You can then add any optional services and review the transit time to confirm it fits your schedule. Once you’ve accepted your quote, you’ll need to get more specific by providing exact pickup and drop-off addresses. You can appoint a primary shipping contact, which can be yourself or someone else who will be with your vehicle at pickup and drop-off.
2. Await vehicle pickup
Next you’ll schedule pickup and await arrival. After you’ve made a reservation, RoadRunner will match you with an auto transport carrier that can accommodate your desired time frame and shipment route. On shipment day, your carrier will arrive and complete an initial inspection. You’ll sign the bill of lading before they load your vehicle.
Shortly after, you’ll have access to online shipment tracking, where you’ll be able to check on its progress and see delivery date estimates. If you have any questions during the shipping process, you’ll have priority customer support every step of the way.
3. Accept delivery
Delivery is straightforward. Upon arrival, you’ll complete a final inspection with your driver and if everything is as it should be, you’ll sign the bill of lading and take your keys back.
Should you use RoadRunner Auto Transport to ship your car?
Car transport services aren’t one-size-fits-all, so it’s good to be discerning when you pick an auto shipper. Here are some situations where you may or may not want to use RoadRunner Auto Transport to ship your car.
Use RoadRunner Auto Transport if:
- You’re shipping your car to Puerto Rico or elsewhere in the Caribbean
- You need help transporting an oversized vehicle, such as a boat or RV
- You don’t want to pay a deposit upfront and want competitive overall pricing
Don’t use RoadRunner Auto Transport if:
- You need next-day or expedited shipping (RoadRunner works best when they have two to three weeks of lead time)
- You need contact-free delivery options
Is RoadRunner car shipping legit?
Yes, RoadRunner is a legitimate auto transport company. It holds the relevant USDOT registration and credentials, hasn’t had any reported accidents in the last two years, and has a large volume of positive reviews from the nation’s leading moving experts and car transport companies.
Don’t be scared off by things like star ratings on the BBB and negative reviews, since this is common in both the car shipping and moving industries. Instead, do your due diligence by looking at various auto shipping companies, comparing their services, and evaluating their customer support infrastructure. You should choose the car carrier that can best accommodate your delivery date, budget, and desired services.
What are the customer reviews for RoadRunner Auto Transport like?
The customer reviews for RoadRunner Auto Transport run the gamut from negative to glowing. They do have a number of negative reviews on the BBB, but MarketWatch and Consumer Affairs score the auto shipper quite highly in their rankings.
We recommend drawing your own conclusions. It’s important to note that RoadRunner is a broker that partners with carriers, so that can explain the variable customer experience.
What’s the cheapest way to transport a car?
Open carrier transport is the cheapest way to ship a car. Nearly all auto carriers offer it for interstate vehicle transport. Generally, you’d only need enclosed transport if you’re shipping a collectible or classic car, so be wary of any auto shipper who tries to upsell you here.
How can I ship my car to another state?
You can hire a car transport company to ship your car to another state. It saves you time, plus prevents wear and tear on vehicles. Check out our picks for best car shipping companies to find the best auto transport company for your needs.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!