Here’s the bottom line: UNITS is a portable storage company that provides necessary flexibility during the moving process by allowing unlimited time to load and unload your household goods.
UNITS Moving and Portable Storage’s claim to fame is its ROBO-Lift® delivery system that allows the containers to be easily maneuvered and positioned into tight spaces on or near your property. This convenience makes the company’s lack of labor add-ons less noticeable.
The company offers two portable storage containers that you can use to move from one location to another or temporarily store your belongings until you’re ready for them.
Customers rave about their experiences. Nearly every location has 5 stars — or close to it — on Google, which demonstrates the company’s commitment to excellence even across independent owners and operators.
Let’s dive into the need-to-know information about UNITS Moving and Portable Storage so you can make an informed decision for your storage needs.
Pros & cons of UNITS Moving and Portable Storage
- Two container sizes
- $10,000 base insurance coverage with all long-distance moves
- Free 30-day storage with all reservations
- ROBO-UNIT delivery system allows containers to fit in tight spaces other companies may not serve
- Storage units are equipped with an internal E-TRACK strap and restraint system to prevent damage to items during transport
- Allows month-to-month contracts
- Active in charitable causes like Habitat for Humanity and Toys for Tots
- Excellent customer service, according to reviews
- Only available in 34 states (not in AK, AR, HI, IN, ME, MS, MT, NH, NM, ND, OR, RI, SD, VT, WV, WY)
- Can’t use 12-foot containers for long-distance moves
- Does not offer assistance with packing or loading, even as an add-on service
- UNITS Moving and Portable Storage is headquartered in Charleston, South Carolina, but it’s grown dozens of franchises across the U.S.
- They offer 12- and 16-foot portable containers —or storage pods — for moving and short or long-term needs.
- The company has a somewhat limited variety of service offerings, but customer reviews include they execute them very well
Jump to the UNITS Moving and Storage info you’re looking for:
- UNITS pricing: How much it costs for self-storage
- UNITS Moving and Portable Storage cost factors
- UNITS Moving and Storage offers a wide variety of services
- How UNITS stacks up against the competition
- How self-storage with UNITS Moving and Portable Storage works
- UNITS is perfect for people who…
UNITS pricing: How much it costs for self-storage
UNITS’ mission is to provide competitively priced self-storage solutions when compared to similar companies like 1-800-PACK-RAT, PODS, and U-Haul U-Box service. Some UNIT locations offer specialized discounts.
The following chart shows sample pricing for local moves under 35 miles. The prices were the same for both the 12- and 16-foot container options. Delivery service beyond 35 miles may be subject to a $2.50 per mile surcharge.
Consult our moving cost calculator to better estimate your budget for your desired services.
UNITS Moving and Portable Storage cost factors
Several factors can impact storage unit costs, such as:
- The size of the unit: The more storage space you use, the more you’ll have to pay.
- Location: Areas with higher cost of living or more demand for storage units may have higher pricing than other areas.
- Length of storage: The amount of time you need storage will impact the final cost.
- Timeline: Last-minute or next-day reservations may come at a premium compared to advanced reservations.
- Insurance: If you elect any insurance and your items have a high replacement value, you can expect to pay more.
- Security: Portable storage units are secured independently on your own property, whereas onsite storage units are built into a building. Onsite storage typically costs more than moving containers because the facility requires additional security support.
UNITS Moving and Storage offers a wide variety of services
UNITS Moving and Storage’s name is a dead giveaway for the services it provides. It keeps it simple by providing moving and storage, but its services can meet a broad range of customer needs:
- Storage: You will receive your storage container(s) at your home shortly after ordering. Containers are conveniently placed for easy access. They will remain at your residence for you to load at their own pace.
- UNITS storage facility option: The company has its own secure and climate-controlled storage facilities to store containers temporarily or long-term. You can access containers to retrieve belongings when needed.
- Moving: If you’re moving to a new location, you’ll let UNITS know when the container is ready for pickup. UNITS will transport the container to your new home. You can also unpack at your own pace. Storage containers may remain at a home or business on monthly rental or be stored in a UNITS secured storage facility.
- Local moving and storage: UNITS has franchises in nearly 500 U.S. cities that can assist with local moves. Homeowners performing renovations or other remodeling projects can order a storage container as a temporary storage solution while the work is completed.
- Long-distance moving: With an expanding national presence, the company has established a solid transportation and storage facility network. If your new home or business location is not ready yet, UNITS can store your container in one of its secured, temperature-controlled storage facilities.
- Portable storage containers for business: Long- or short-term storage is available for large and small companies alike. Storage containers can also be used to store tools, materials, and equipment at a job or construction or project site. They can also help small businesses deal with seasonal items or excess inventory.
- Use this space to add the partner CTA box.
How UNITS stacks up against the competition
You may want to use UNITS Moving and Storage if you live in one of the 34 states they have franchise locations and you enjoy the flexibility of unlimited loading and unloading time. However, it’s important to compare the value of the services to similar companies in the industry.
UNITS Moving and Portable Storage vs. U-Haul U-Box
U-Haul’s biggest selling point is that there’s a location in virtually every corner of the globe. This means the convenience is unparalleled if you need to visit your items at the storage facility or take items out of storage.
However, UNITS beats U-Haul U-Box if you have room to store the pod on your own property. What’s more convenient than having a storage unit within walking distance of your front door?
If UNITS picks up your storage container, it will remain in a climate-controlled facility. U-Haul U-Box will keep your container indoors, but temperature control depends on the facility.
UNITS also has U-Haul beats in container sizes. U-Haul only offers an eight-foot container, which is typically enough to hold a king-size mattress, whereas UNITS offers 12- and 16-foot options.
UNITS Moving and Portable Storage vs. PODS
PODS is another one of our preferred portable storage container companies, and we always recommend our readers check out their prices when planning a move. Like UNITS, PODS offers 30 free days of storage with every reservation.
However, PODS mandates that all customers keep their units for at least 30 days. With eight-, 12-, and 16-foot options, PODS offers more container size flexibility than UNITS.
PODS is also more accommodating of last-minute bookings, according to customer reviews.
|Storage unit sizes
|12 feet & 16 feet
|8 feet, 12 feet, & 16 feet
How self-storage with UNITS Moving and Portable Storage works
UNITS makes self-storage very convenient. All you have to do is order the storage unit size you need and the company will deliver it directly to your door. All containers are weather-resistant and designed to protect your belongings in storage.
Unlike other portable storage container services, UNITS doesn’t impose a time limit for loading and unloading. When you’re finished, simply request a pickup.
From there, the team can take your storage container to a facility, where it will be kept in a climate-controlled space, or deliver it right to the door of your new home. Again, there’s no time limit when your storage unit is delivered, which can provide flexibility for busy professionals or anyone on a tight schedule.
Your franchise will communicate payment expectations but typically, UNITS charges pickup and drop-off fees and a monthly rental charge.
UNITS is perfect for people who need extra storage space and flexible time frames
UNITS Moving and Portable Storage provides mobile storage containers for those who are moving or need short or long-term storage. Customer feedback is overwhelmingly positive regarding affordability and the quality and cleanliness of their containers.
The primary drawback is that no labor services are offered. However, customers can likely find local movers to load the storage containers if needed.
We’d recommend UNITS to anyone with portable storage needs, especially because they don’t limit how much time you have to load or unload.
What is the maximum weight of a UNITS storage container?
Both of UNITS’ container sizes have a recommended maximum weight of 8,000 pounds. If you expect to exceed this limit, you may want to reserve more than one storage pod.
What are the dimensions of a UNITS storage container?
The dimensions of the UNITS storage containers are 8 x 8 x 12′ or 8 x 8 x 16′. They have a durable galvanized steel frame capable of handling harsh weather conditions and a semi-transparent roof to allow natural light in. No ramp is needed to load the containers because they are on the ground, and all units are secured with double doors.
What size UNITS storage container do I need for a two-bedroom apartment?
The size UNITS container you need for a two-bedroom apartment depends on the weight of your belongings and how far you’re traveling. A 12-foot container can accommodate many two-bedroom moves but they’re only available for local moves. The 16-foot container can be used for local and long-distance moves.
Are UNITS portable storage containers climate controlled?
No, UNITS portable storage containers aren’t climate-controlled on your property. However, many UNITS storage facilities offer climate-controlled self-storage options.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!