- The company is marketed as an affordable long-distance moving option for both residential and commercial customers.
- While competitive pricing is likely to attract new customers, it is equally as important to have highly-satisfied customers to be positioned for long-term success.
- They employ trained staff and claim to have developed some excellent logistical systems that create operational efficiencies.
- Many of the problems cited were related to poor customer service that failed to promptly or satisfactorily resolve issues.
How does Moving Nation compare to other professional movers?
Our Top 5 Long Distance Movers of 2022
500 interstate moving companies, 3 months of research, cross-referenced reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records.
2022 Best Moving Containers & Storage Companies
We spent 260 hours researching moving container and storage companies to find the best prices, best customer service, and fastest deliveries so you don't have to.
The organization was started by three business partners in 2012 who had recently relocated its business with assistance from a national moving company. The founders recognized that the moving company they used performed poorly and inefficiently, which inspired them to consider launching their own moving business.
The company has four regional offices now in Fayetteville, Georgia, Sacramento and Alameda, California, and Owings Mills, Maryland. The organization offers a variety of different services as follows:
- Long-Distance Moving: Moving Nation is FMCSA licensed as an interstate moving company. They define themselves as a national moving company and no domestic service area limitations are mentioned.
- Storage: They offer short-term storage for up to 30 days and long-term storage. They now provide secure storage services with options that include climate control.
- Packing: They provide packing and unpacking services. Customers can pack their items themselves using the company’s large stock of standard and specialized packing materials. Some of their specialty packaging products and supplies include wardrobe cartons and customized packaging for fragile belongings such as art and glass items.
- Commercial and Corporate Relocation: The company boasts of having certified corporate relocation specialists that can design customized corporate relocation services for organizations that are small or large.
- Military Moves: They actively promote their moving and storage services to military members. This may be worthwhile based on the locations of their offices because California, Maryland, and Georgia each are home to many military bases.
Pros & Cons
- Moving Nation employees are all subject to an “in-house certification” training program
- All of the customer’s personal and financial information is maintained in a secure electronic portal
- Capable of handling smaller local residential moves as well as large long-distance corporate relocations
- Each customer has a designated sales representative that provides customized quotes and oversees their project
- Offers custom packaging for items such as those that are valuable, fragile, or oversized
- Customers with short-term storage needs can take advantage of their storage-in-transit (SIT) service option
- The website tool for potential customers to receive an online quote (estimate) does not immediately generate an automated price or range; instead, a representative must call them back to do so
- Customer feedback suggests that pricing details and fees are often not clearly presented or communicated
- Several customers complained of aggressive sales tactics and persistent follow-up calls and text messages
- When subcontracted labor is deployed for a project they sometimes are perceived as lacking effort and professionalism
The Good: Very affordable rates for long-distance moves.
Moving Nation seems to offer attractive rates for long-distance moving projects. The organization is committed to employing technology and innovation to improve efficiency and minimize operating costs.
The Bad: Inconsistent quality of service
Based on the online reviews of Moving Nation, they seem to have a disproportionate number of customers that report having a negative outcome. Many of their customers had a very positive experience; however, it appears that inattention to detail and lapses of communication are too common.
They also bear a suspicious resemblance to another moving company with an even shorter presence in the market called United Nation Van Lines.
The company’s management emphasizes how they created an organizational framework that affords Moving Nation a strong financial competitive advantage in the market. They estimate that this structure and technology results in operational costs that are approximately 30% lower than the competition, which may be passed on to the customer. This cost savings is the result of a proprietary software system that contains algorithms for maximizing efficiency and coordination of logistics between dispatchers, drivers, and other staff.
Customers have a wide variety of payment options. Moving Nation accepts cash, check, debit cards, and major credit cards. Customers are encouraged to ask about any currently available promotional discounts that they may qualify for.
Protection or insurance coverage for any property that is damaged during a move is available. The company website explains that they have a Released Value Protection Plan and a Full Value Protection Plan. The Released Value option is simply the minimum amount of coverage that is required by federal law for those who operate in interstate moving.
The federal guidelines require that moving companies compensate customers for damaged items at a rate of sixty (.60) cents per pound. For example, a 10-pound article of property translates to $6.00 in compensation. Moving Nation does not post the pricing details of the Full Value Protection Plan on their site.
Moving Nation claims to have been established in 2012; however, all the customer feedback posted online is either from 2019 or 2020. Perhaps the early years of the business were largely devoted to developing their proprietary software and algorithms?
Moving Nation has a fairly good rating of 3.9 out of 5 on Google. Several reviewers applauded the professionalism of the staff and the careful packaging and transport of bulky and fragile items. Negative feedback included problems with transportation delays on long-distance moves and complaints that the moving staff was not wearing facial coverings amid COVID-19 concerns.
The company is rated as an A- with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The majority of complaints seemed to involve discrepancies between the original quoted price and the final price. Several customers claimed to have not been made aware of the potential for add-on fees when additional packaging supplies are necessary to protect certain items during transport. Comments revealed that the company does also generate prices based on the volume of cubic feet needed to accommodate the items.
The reviews on Yelp for the Alameda, California location were largely unfavorable. There were various types of complaints including delays in transportation to the destination and subcontracted help that lacked professionalism. Customers were also very critical of the customer service team’s ability to properly address problems and concerns.
The reviews on Yelp for the Owings Mills, Maryland location were few and cited several service concerns. Complaints included that their local subcontracted labor was unprofessional in appearance, created damage to belongings, and was not wearing facial coverings amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Moving Nation appears to be a growing company that offers very attractive prices for long-distance moving services.
While many people have reported having an excellent moving experience, they seem to struggle with consistently meeting customer expectations. Many of these problems reported were associated with local subcontracted labor that performed poorly and lacked professionalism.
This does seem to be a common issue with moving brokers with a short history of existence on the internet.
Consider and compare to the top moving companies in the industry.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!