Quick answer – Local moves with 1-800-PACK-RAT can be less than $500 or more than $2,000, while long-distance interstate moves with multiple containers can cost $6,000 or more.
The truth is, with so many variables in the moving process, “average” price quotes are usually worthless.
However, most 1-800-PACK-RAT customers consider their services a solid value.
That said, figuring out how many containers you’ll need and how much your move will cost can be frustrating and time-consuming.
In this post, we’ll demystify the process by taking an in-depth look at the company’s storage, moving services, and pricing.
But before jumping in, check out these helpful pre-move resources –
- Moving cost calculator – Just enter your move dates, origin and destination cities, and the estimated size of your move, and the magic algorithms will do the rest
- Best interstate movers – Shady movers are everywhere. With so much at stake for you and your family, it’s worth hiring a top-rated long-distance mover with verified customer reviews
- Consider moving containers – It’s simple. You load and unload, they drive, and you save big bucks. These are the best moving container companies.
1-800-PACK-RAT company and services
For nearly two decades, 1-800-PACK-RAT has been a leading moving container and storage services company.
With facilities in dozens of states, 1-800-PACK-RAT offers multiple service options that are perfect for those who want to save money on a DIY move without having to drive a hefty moving truck.
It’s called the “you load, we drive” model, and it’s become increasingly popular in recent years.
Unlike traditional movers, 1-800-PACK-RAT uses portable containers for storage and to move household goods from Point A to Point B.
Here’s how it works –
- You reserve your container(s) online, over the phone, or in-person
- They deliver them to your home, apartment, or business on the appointed day
- You load your items inside
- For storage, you can keep the container on-site or have them haul it to one of their facilities for safekeeping
- If you’re moving, they’ll transport your container(s) to your new address whether it’s around the corner, across the state, or across the country
So how much does 1-800-PACK-RAT cost?
As with full-service moving companies, 1-800-PACK-RAT’s prices vary widely based on the following factors –
- Your origin and destination locations
- The distance between your old and new homes
- When you’re moving (prices may increase during the peak season between June and August)
- What size and how many containers you’ll need
- Whether you’ll need moving, storage, or a combination of both
- Which insurance option do you choose
Local moving and storage with 1-800-PACK-RAT
To recap, our research determined that local moves generally cost between $500 and $2,000.
Your actual costs will vary based on the aforementioned factors, but each quote includes 30 days of free storage, which is a huge value.
Quotes exclude –
- Optional insurance (more on this shortly)
- Additional storage (monthly charges can be more than $200 per container per month)
- Packing material
- Moving equipment like dollies, straps, and pads
- Loading and unloading labor
For local moves (and storage jobs) you’re charged for the rental and delivery fee once they drop the container off.
Transportation, storage, and post-move pick-up fees are charged as they occur, which means you pay in manageable increments.
Long-distance moving with 1-800-PACK-RAT
The average price to move a moderately furnished home or multi-bedroom apartment 1,000 miles with 1-800-PACK-RAT is approximately $3,750.
Cross-country move customers are required to pay a $500 deposit about 5 days before their containers are delivered.
The balance will be due before the final delivery is made, which can be a few days or more than two weeks depending on the distance.
Remember, interstate moves can be as short as 8 miles (Lake Park, Georgia to Jennings, Florida), or more than 3,000 miles (Spokane, Washington to Key West, Florida.)
Not surprisingly, costs are all over the place.
That said, the following table includes a few “average” costs based on varying home sizes and distances.
|Less than 500 miles||Between 501 and 2000 miles||More than 2000 miles|
|Studio or 1-bedroom apartment||$1,700||$2,690||$3,200+|
|2 or 3-bedroom home or apartment||$2,600||$2,950||$3,600+|
|4 or 5-bedroom home||$3,550||$4,690||$5,600+|
These figures are based on a relatively small sample size, so use them for “ballparking” purposes only and plan on getting your own personalized quote(s).
Where to find 1-800-PACK-RAT
According to the company, more than 95% of the continental United States is within their service area.
If you’re one of the few people who live in a region that isn’t covered, they still may be able to come up with a custom moving and/or storage solution, so don’t hesitate to give them a call and ask.
1-800-PACK-RAT’s website is a great resource for –
- Finding a service center or parter (like Lowe’s) near you
- Determining how many containers you’ll need using their space calculator
- Getting preliminary pricing (you may need to call for long-distance moving quotes)
- Reserving your containers and scheduling a delivery
1-800-PACK-RAT – the basics
With 1-800-PACK-RAT’s moving and storage services you can –
- Store your container(s) at your home
- Store it at one of the company’s secure facilities
- Have it transported across town or within the state
- Have it shipped to another state
In short, 1-800-PACK-RAT is a good fit for savvy customers interested in customizing a move to fit their needs without paying top-dollar for a full-service moving company.
Did You Know?
Though they’re great for household moving and storage, 1-800-PACK-RAT’s containers and services work well for home renovation projects and business storage too.
Multiple container sizes to fit most needs
1-800-PACK-RAT’s container lineup makes it easy to utilize space efficiently and save money.
On small moves, you can pick the best container size, while on larger moves you can mix and match to make sure you’re not paying for unused space.
1-800-PACK-RAT’s units come in the following sizes –
- About 400 cubic feet of interior space
- Hold one or two rooms of boxes and furniture
- 4,000-pound weight limit
- Approximately 620 cubic feet of usable space
- Hold two or three rooms of furniture and boxes
- 6,000-pound weight limit
- More than 825 cubic feet of interior space
- Hold the contents of a two-bedroom apartment or a small home (excluding attic, basement and garage)
- 6,000-pound weight limit
All-steel construction makes a difference
1-800-PACK-RAT’s industry-leading all-steel containers are stronger and more secure than the competition’s units.
Most moving and storage containers have roll-up doors which limit interior space and tend to jam when items shift during transit.
To maximize strength, increase usable space, and minimize move day mishaps, the doors on 1-800-PACK-RAT containers doors open outward.
Their sturdy weatherproof design keeps contents safe, dry, and pest-free (bugs and rodents) during transit and/or storage.
On the downside, steel containers aren’t cheap, which translates into slightly higher rates.
Does 1-800-PACK-RAT offer insurance?
When moving or storing items with 1-800-PACK-RAT you’ll have two insurance options.
The first covers the container while it’s in your possession, while the second covers your items while in transit.
The Basic Plan covers each container for $9.99 per month, but your items aren’t insured.
The optional Silver Plan (Contents Protection Plan) covers your household goods.
Silver Plan cost ranges from less than $35 per month for $5,000 of coverage, to about $150 per month for $75,000 of coverage.
Other coverage levels include –
|Value declared||Approximate monthly cost|
Each coverage option has a $100 deductible, and long-distance moves include $10,000 of content protection which covers your items while the container is being transported.
On local moves and storage jobs, content protection coverage isn’t available.
It’s worth calling your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance company to ask if they’ll cover your items when they’re being stored and/or moved locally, but most won’t.
Did You Know?
Unlike regular moving insurance (valuation), with 1-800-PACK-RAT’s insurance, your items are only covered in the event that they’re damaged or destroyed by water, fire, or an accident while the truck is transporting your container.
1-800-PACK RAT vs PODS
The two biggest differences between them are their prices and containers.
The benefits of using 1-800-PACK-RAT –
- Their all-steel containers are stronger and more secure
- Barn-style doors increase usable space and are less prone to jamming
- Containers have higher weight limits
- Plenty of discounts and promos keep prices competitive
- Relatively large coverage area
- 30 days of free storage included with most quotes
- Pay-as-you-go keeps payments small and spreads them out
The benefits of using PODS containers –
- Lower prices for initial delivery and transportation
- Translucent container tops illuminate the inside of the container during the day
- Larger coverage area than 1-800-PACK-RAT
- Less expensive storage rates
What’s the best way to get a quote?
1-800-PACK-RAT’s website is chock full of helpful tools and information, and free online quotes are available for local moving and storage jobs.
You’ll need to enter a few relevant move details like when and where you’re moving, the size of your home or apartment, and whether you’ll need moving and/or storage services.
Each quote will include –
- Monthly rental cost for each container
- Amount due prior to initial delivery
- Estimated transportation and final delivery costs
It may seem like a needless hassle, but on long-distance moves, you’ll need to speak with a customer service representative for final pricing and to book your move, so expect to spend at least a few minutes on a phone call.
He or she will help you determine what size and how many containers you’ll need and whether items like labor, automobile transport, packing material, and moving equipment are required.
What we like about 1-800-PACK-RAT
- High-quality containers with steel frames, roofs, walls, and floors
- Multiple container sizes
- Quotes include 30 days of storage
- Local and long-distance moves and storage are available
- Discounts for college students, military members, first responders, teachers, medical workers, and senior citizens
- Frequent promotions
- Price-matching is available in some markets
- No additional fee if you cancel within 48 hours
- They’ve partnered with labor and auto transport companies
- Pay-as-you-go means payments are small and manageable
What we don’t like
- High base prices
- Confusing pricing structure
- Storage charges can’t be prorated
- No moves to or from Alaska or Hawaii
- Fewer locations than some competitors
- Content Protection Coverage isn’t available on local moves
- High fee if you cancel in less than 48 hours
- Credit card required at time of booking (not a huge deal unless you have to cancel at the last minute)
Frequently asked questions (faqs)
What’s 1-800-PACK-RAT’s phone number?
How much can fit in a 16-foot PACK-RAT container?
Each 16-foot container holds approximately 3 or 4 rooms of furniture and boxes or up to 6,000 pounds
Is Packrat cheaper than PODS?
No, PODS pricing is usually more affordable, but promos and discounts often level the playing field.
Does 1-800-PACK-RAT price match?
Yes, in many instances 1-800-PACK-RAT will match prices from competitors like PODS.
How long does it take for a PACK-RAT container to be delivered?
Local and long-distance delivery times vary by season and location. On interstate moves under 1,500 miles delivery may take up to 10 business days, while on longer moves you may need to wait up to 14 business days to get your items.
Does 1-800-PACK-RAT sell packing material?
Yes, 1-800-PACK-RAT sells everything from wardrobes, stretch wrap, and picture boxes to bubble wrap, packing paper, and mattress bags.
What’s the best moving container?
When it comes to quality all-steel construction, easy doors, and high weight limits, 1-800-PACK-RAT’s containers are hard to beat.
What’s a relocube?
ReloCubes are 6’ x 7’ x 8’ storage containers used by U-Pack. With 308 cubic feet of interior space, they’re good options for small apartment moves.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!