Overall Opinion of Atlas Van Lines, Inc.: The company has an excellent network of local agents throughout the U.S. and Canada. They are among the carriers responsible for many federal government and military moving projects.
The main customer complaint involves items being damaged during state-to-state moves. Overall, they seem like an above-average option for moving services.
Jump to the Atlas Van Lines review section that you’re looking for:
The company was founded in 1948, is headquartered in Evansville, Indiana, and is now among the largest interstate carriers. They have more than 400 agents across the U.S. that complete training through the Atlas Academy.
- Small Apartment or Condo Moves: The SimpliCity program was introduced for smaller one or two-bedroom moving projects. This allows for date-specific moving that is fast and affordable.
- Local Household Moves: Customers will enter their zip code to determine the local Atlas agents in their area that are certified by the American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA).
- Long-Distance Moves: Interstate and cross-county moving services are facilitated by the extensive network of Atlas agents across the nation and Canada. Atlas Logistics is a part of the organization that employs the latest methods and technology in transportation, storage solutions, and management of the supply chain.
- Corporate Relocation: Company administrators have trusted Atlas for business relocation services for many years. The organization uses the latest technology to manage aspects of corporate moves including paperless workflow, detailed tracking capabilities, and inventory and asset management.
- Military and Government Moves: Atlas boasts of moving more than 13,000 military members and their families annually. Atlas has a working knowledge of the military’s Personally Procured Move (PPM) policy and will assist with the completion of reimbursement documents. The company is also an approved provider of services according to GSA guidelines and completes roughly 1,600 federal relocation projects each year.
- International Moves: Those moving abroad will benefit from Atlas having agents in 17 different countries and efficient door-to-door service. Since 1960, the organization has expanded this area of service and has earned FIDI accreditation as an international mover. Atlas also has a significant presence in Canada with more than 100 agents.
- Storage-In-Transit: This is temporary storage of a load of belongings before delivery to the destination.
- Long-Term Storage: Traditional secured storage facilities are maintained by Atlas agents and they are inspected for compliance with rigid safety standards. Many agents now offer climate-controlled storage units and self-storage that is available 24/7.
- Vehicle Transport: Atlas offers efficient transportation of vehicle including cars, motorcycles, boats, and more. The majority of agents also have secure storage space for vehicles, which may be indoor or outdoors.
Specialty Item Moving: The company is very experienced in transporting pool tables, pianos, and other challenging items.
- Labor: Properly trained movers will handle loading and unloading of your belongings.
- Packing Services: They offer professional packing services where staff will hand-wrap delicate items, place clothes in wardrobe units, and may build crates to safely transport some items.
- Moving Supplies: The same professional packing supplies used by the Atlas staff are also available for purchase through an agent.
Our Top 5 Long Distance Movers of 2021
500 interstate moving companies, 3 months of research, cross-referenced reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records.
2021 Best Moving Containers & Storage Companies
We spent 260 hours researching moving container and storage companies to find the best prices, best customer service, and fastest deliveries so you don't have to.
The Good: Excellent Choice for Corporate Relocation and International Moves
Atlas has built a solid network of relationships and employs the latest technology that results in high levels of customer satisfaction among corporate customers and those moving overseas.
The Bad: Quality of Labor for Packing and Loading in Inconsistent
Customer feedback suggests that items sometimes arrive damaged. Keep in mind, however, that this is a risk with any moving company.
- The company has implemented a safety program in response to COVID-19 that includes cleaning and sanitizing their trucks, practicing social distancing, and have equipped staff with personal protective equipment. Contactless processing is also possible through the use of electronic signatures for documents and conducting estimates via video.
- All staff is background screened and Atlas has a “zero tolerance” policy for substance abuse that is enforced with testing.
- Atlas has an extensive network of agents and partners for international moving projects (see image)
- Some of the movers used by local agents fail to load the container in a way that will limit the possibility of damage.
- Storage availability is not consistent among the local agents.
- Salespeople often fail to sufficiently review the agreement terms with customers to ensure that have the proper expectations.
Quotes (estimates) may be received by using the Instant Online Quote Form, which gathers key information that is submitted to a representative that will call you back. Atlas accepts cash, personal or cashier’s checks, and most major credit cards.
Insurance and Valuation Coverage
Atlas complies with the Released Value Protection required by law that equates to sixty cents (.60) per pound of item. For example, a 30-pound television is eligible for $18.00 in coverage. Full (Replacement) Value Coverage is available for purchase that will more sufficiently compensate customers for lost or damaged items. Members of AAA may be eligible for Full Value Protection at no charge for interstate moving projects.
Atlantic Relocation Systems is a large Atlas agent in the Houston, Texas area that has a Google rating of 4.5 out of 5. The majority of the posted reviews are positive and those who did have problems stated that the customer service team was fairly responsive. The primary criticisms involved drivers arriving later than anticipated.
The Atlas listing on Google for the Evansville, Indiana headquarters has more than 600 reviews with an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5. It seems that Atlas agents provide many moves for corporate employees that are being relocated. Many of the negative posts were related to items being damaged during transport. Some customers complained that when they call the local agent’s office, they are unable to speak with a live representative.
Their page on Yelp has more than 140 posts and an overall rating of 3 out of 5. The majority of the negative feedback involves long-distance moves where items that arrived were damaged. Several complaints also related to items that were either lost or stolen during the transport process.
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) page shows they have been accredited in 1982 and their rating is A+. The BBB has received approximately 14 complaints over the past 12 months. Items being damaged during moving or shipping are again among the leading complaints. Several customers noted that the trailer containers were not loaded in a manner that would ensure safe transport. Some complaints also involved staff failures to properly reassemble furniture after arrival at the destination.
The following data shows the nature of the complaints received by the BBB of the past three years.
|Problems: Product or Service||35|
This is a leading provider of moving services in the residential and commercial markets that is very innovative. The main concern (based on customer feedback) is that the local agents sometimes employ staff that is careless when packaging items for transport and when loading the transport containers. This sometimes results in damaged belongings and disgruntled customers. Atlas is a particularly good option for corporate relocation projects and those moving internationally.