Here’s the bottom line: Bekins Van Lines’ impressive network of partnerships across the globe makes them a reputable option for local, interstate, and international moves. While the quality of your move ultimately comes down to the quality of the partner company, many customers rate Bekins highly.
Founded in 1891, Bekins Van Lines is one of the most established moving companies in the United States. Not only that, but many of their move agents are certified in specialized services for elderly moves.
Let’s look at the pros and cons of hiring Bekins Van Lines and what you can expect when working with this full-service moving company.
Pros & cons of Bekins Van Lines
- Virtual or in-home estimates
- Partners with the National Association of Senior Move Managers for special senior services
- In business since 1891
- Gives back to charity organizations, donates to food banks, and follows green business practices
- Has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Bekins Van Lines (USDOT#2256609) was founded in 1891, so it’s one of the oldest and most experienced long-distance moving companies in the United States.
- Bekins stands out for its global network of partner carriers, which makes it possible for Bekins customers to move just about anywhere. Customers rave about Bekins’ customer service and responsiveness, too.
- However, some customer reviews mention damage, delivery issues, and pricing miscommunications. Bekins also doesn’t offer guaranteed delivery dates.
Jump to the Bekins Van Lines info you’re looking for:
- Bekins Van Lines pricing: How much it costs to move
- Bekins Van Lines offers a wide variety of services
- How Bekins Van Lines stacks up against the competition
- How moving with Bekins Van Lines works
- Should you use Bekins Van Lines to move?
Bekins Van Lines pricing: How much it costs to move
Like all moving companies, Bekins personalizes their quotes based on several factors, including:
- Date and season
- Distance from your old place to your new home
- Weight of goods
- Size of your home or apartment
- Add-ons like custom crating, disassembly, packing services, etc.
- Storage unit rentals
- Additional insurance
If you want a better idea of how much Bekins will cost for your move, we recommend requesting a no-strings-attached quote.
To get a quote from Bekins:
- Visit their website
- Provide your pickup and drop-off locations
- Describe the type and size of your move
- Give them your contact information
The quote tool will give you a ballpark estimate so you can get an idea of how much your move will cost.
For more accurate pricing, you’ll need to get a quote from a Bekins rep. You can do this via phone, email, or the Bekins contact form on their website. If you submit a quote via email, be sure to upload pictures so they can give you a more accurate estimate based on your specific move.
Bekins offers three types of moving quotes:
- Non-binding estimate: These estimates vary based on the estimated weight of your shipment. However, the final cost will differ depending on the actual weight of the shipment and any extras you want, like packing, crating, and insurance.
- Binding estimate: These estimates lock in your pricing as long as your move conditions don’t change. The only way your moving estimate will change is if you add items or request extra services. Binding estimates usually have expiration dates, so keep that in mind if you’re just shopping around.
- Not-to-exceed estimate: These estimates are agreed-upon move costs that won’t exceed a specific dollar amount. What’s nice about this type of estimate is that, if the actual weight is less than estimated, the price will go down. However, adding more items or services can still increase your cost.
Bekins requires full payment before unloading your belongings. They accept several payment methods, including:
- Money orders
- Traveler’s checks
- Certified checks
- Cashier’s checks
- Major credit cards, including MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and American Express
Check out our moving cost calculator to help you get an idea of what to expect to pay for your move with Bekins and other full-service companies.
Bekins Van Lines offers a wide variety of services
As a full-service moving company, Bekins offers a little bit of everything for local, long-distance, and even international moves. They offer a range of services to make your moving experience as stress-free as possible.
- Local moves: That’s right — Bekins moves local Indianapolis residents within the metro area. You must live within 50 to 100 miles of Indianapolis to qualify for these local residential move rates, though.
- Long-distance moves: Bekins can definitely handle local moves, but they’re also experienced in cross-country and interstate moves. If you’re moving from Texas to California, for example, they’ll connect you with carriers that have proper knowledge of the paperwork and procedures required to ship household goods long distances. This includes shipping to remote states like Hawaii and Alaska.
- International moves: Bekins partners with Crown Relocations to coordinate moves anywhere in the world. But that’s not all — Crown Relocations offers additional services for immigration help, and intercultural and language training, among others.
- Commercial moves: Bekins has experience moving companies large and small. Not only do they transport your business belongings and equipment, but they also help with the logistics of keeping your business operational while you move. They even offer relocation services for employees who transfer with the business.
- Government and military relocations: Some of Bekins’ partner carriers have a General Services Administration (GSA) certification to move government and military personnel. They’re even qualified under the Centralized Household Goods Traffic Management Program to provide federal agencies with a framework for handling moves. For those planning a military move, confirm that your carrier has proper GSA permissions.
- Packing and unpacking: Bekins offers full-service and customized packing options for residential and commercial moves. They can pack kitchen supplies, wardrobes, and fragile and unique items. Bekins also sells packing supplies like boxes and packing tape for do-it-yourselfers.
- Short- and long-term storage: The company offers a variety of storage solutions for any move, including international shipping. They can even help you find storage with just 24 hours’ notice.
- Vehicle transportation: While they don’t ship your car themselves, Bekins works with special carriers that can transport personal and fleet vehicles. These carriers often deliver your vehicle right to your door, but if they can’t, they’ll work with you to pick a suitable drop-off location nearby.
- Specialty services: Need something more bespoke? Just ask! If Bekins can’t offer it, someone in their network of specialized movers probably can. They’ve moved medical equipment, pool tables, pianos, and everything in between.
How Bekins Van Lines stacks up against the competition
With nearly 130 years of experience under their belt, Bekins Van Lines is one of the most established moving companies in the biz. But let’s see how they stack up against some of the best long-distance moving companies in the United States.
Bekins Van Lines vs. Safeway Moving
moveBuddha readers consistently rate Safeway Moving as the best long-distance moving company. They offer 24/7 customer service, binding estimates, and 30 days of free storage for all interstate moves.
Both Safeway and Bekins Van Lines have an A+ rating from the BBB, and both offer a range of specialty services, including senior moves. However, Bekins has a larger, more established network that allows them to tackle moves in Hawaii, Alaska, and internationally.
Bekins Van Lines vs. Mayzlin Relocation
Mayzlin Relocation has a very flexible cancellation policy, so as long as you notify them within seven days, you’ll get a full refund. While Bekins doesn’t offer 24/7 customer service, Mayzlin does. They also assign you a moving consultant to serve as your single point of contact throughout the move.
Both Bekins and Mayzlin offer storage options and military and corporate moves. Customers highly rate Mayzlin’s customer cancellation discounts if another customer cancels and you take their spot.
Mayzlin has a slightly lower BBB rating than Bekins, but they’re still a reputable option for long-distance moves.
|Bekins Van Lines
|All 50 states
|Senior, military, federal employees
|48 states (not in AK or HI)
|Veterans and active military, seniors, teachers, students
|48 states (not in AK or HI)
|Early reservation, customer cancellation
How moving with Bekins Van Lines works
Bekins Van Lines has a vast network of independently owned and operated moving agents that work on behalf of Bekins. They work on your behalf with these other carriers to manage the logistics of your move.
To get started with Bekins, just visit their website and request a quote. You can request an estimate via the website estimating tool or by calling a customer service rep. However, if you’re concerned about quote accuracy, we recommend asking Bekins for a virtual or in-home survey. You’ll get a more accurate estimate this way because a professional will measure everything you need to move.
Bekins recommends booking five to six weeks before your move date, so they might not be the best fit for last-minute moves. Once you set your move date, Bekins will assign you a Move Manager as your single point of contact for the move.
Bekins’ drivers will call you when they’re on their way. When they arrive, they’ll first protect your floors, doors, and hallways with specialized gear. Your Bekins team will then document all items and their condition before loading the truck.
Some customers pay extra for Bekins to pack their stuff, while others choose to save money by packing themselves. When Bekins is done packing and loading, you sign paperwork, and the moving crew transports your belongings.
Some movers offer on-time guarantees, but Bekins doesn’t. It could take up to 30 days (or longer) for your stuff to arrive, depending on where you’re moving and your contract with Bekins. Check your moving contract to see what time frame you should expect.
Bekins will give you 24 hours’ notice before your things arrive. You must pay your balance in full by the time the crew arrives to unload your belongings.
Should you use Bekins Van Lines to move?
So, should you hire Bekins for your next move? It comes down to your unique needs. They aren’t the right fit for everyone, but many customers choose Bekins for their senior relocation specialists and global footprint.
Use Bekins Van Lines if:
- You want high-quality service and attention to detail
- You’re okay with a Bekins partner company actually performing your move
- You need a team that’s sensitive to the complexities of senior moving
- You’re moving to Alaska, Hawaii, or internationally
Don’t use Bekins Van Lines if:
- You’re planning a last-minute move
- You’re cost-conscious
- You want guaranteed delivery dates
What types of moves does Bekins Van Lines specialize in?
Bekins Van Lines specializes in local, interstate, and international moves. They also have expertise in senior moves, government and military relocations, and handling specialty items like medical equipment and pianos.
How does Bekins Van Lines ensure quality in its moving services?
Quality is largely dependent on Bekins’ network of partner companies. Many agents are Silver Certified with special training for elderly moves. The company also has a long-standing reputation dating back to 1891, and an A+ rating with the BBB.
If you ever experience an issue with your move, Bekins is highly responsive. They even have a comprehensive guide to damage claims on their website, so they won’t leave you hanging.
How long has Bekins been in business?
Bekins Van Lines has been in business since 1891.
Does Bekins offer insurance?
Yes, Bekins Van Lines offers insurance. All Bekins moves come with limited liability protection, which applies to all boxes packed by the Bekins team.
You can also opt to buy full replacement value protection for coverage at $6 per pound. If you have valuable items like jewelry or art, you can add extra insurance just for those items.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!