Life never slows down and, sometimes, you’ll find yourself needing to grab something out of your storage unit at 2 a.m. Unfortunately, most self-storage facilities have posted hours when their units can be accessed and, most of the time, these are during normal business hours.
When business hours just won’t fit your storage needs, it’s time to consider finding a 24-hour access storage unit, so you can grab your stuff whenever you need it —day or night.
Here at moveBuddha, we’ve researched the best self-storage companies in the business to find the ones that have the best 24-hour access for you and put together this list. If you are ready to use your storage unit on your schedule, keep reading to discover the best 24-hour self-storage companies in the business.
Best 24-hour storage units
Ready to find the best storage solution for your schedule? Below are the best 24-hour self-storage units.
- Best for security: Extra Space Storage
- Best for those on a budget: CubeSmart
- Best for flexible storage: iStorage
- Best for moving and storage: U-Haul
- Best for short-term storage solutions: PODS
Best for security: Extra Space Storage
In 2023, Extra Space Storage merged with Life Storage to create one of the largest chains of 24-hour storage facilities in the United States.
With more than 3,500 locations in 43 states and the Washington D.C. area, Extra Space Storage is widely available nationwide. However, it’s worth noting that the company is not available in Alaska, Arkansas, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, or Wyoming.
All Extra Space Storage locations boast climate-controlled units, 24-hour video surveillance, and onsite managers who can receive deliveries when necessary.
While onsite managers keep semi-regular business hours of 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. in most locations, customers receive a code to the electronic gate to access their storage unit at any time of the day.
Extra Space Storage also offers drive-up storage units, which are ideal for car storage, with some units large enough to fit an RV or boat. Business owners may also benefit, as most Extra Space Storage facilities offer business storage to meet a variety of needs.
- Multiple storage unit sizes to choose from
- Top-notch security at all facilities
- Easy 24-hour access with code at all locations
- Offers month-to-month or long-term leases
- Units can be booked easily online
- Late payment fees can be steep
- You need a credit card to book
Read our full Extra Space Storage review.
Best for those on a budget: CubeSmart
CubeSmart is an affordable storage option, offering below-market prices on many of its storage units. They also offer a variety of discounts to customers, from military and student discounts to incentives for referring a new customer.
Only some CubeSmart facilities are open 24 hours, so you’ll want to check the location near you for their hours before you book. All CubeSmart locations have two sets of hours: the office hours, which indicate when the facility manager will be present, and the gate access hours, which are the hours when your individual code can be used on the keypad to access the facility on your own.
CubeSmart is unique in that they provide free moving truck access at some of their locations, meaning you won’t need to hire a moving company to get your stuff to your new unit. CubeSmart has everything from climate-controlled storage units to drive-up units with roll-up doors to make vehicle storage easy.
CubeSmart units come with several security features to provide customers with peace of mind. Each facility has strong security gates, 24-hour surveillance cameras, and bright lighting for renters who visit after dark.
CubeSmart is only available in 41 states, so those living in Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, West Virginia, and Wyoming will have to look elsewhere. Plus, you’ll need to double-check that the unit located closest to you is one of the 24-hour locations before booking.
- Offers several discounts to renters
- Has a wide variety of unit sizes
- Free moving trucks available for use at some locations
- Locations include top-notch security features to keep renters and their belongings safe
- Not all locations are 24-hours
- Customers report costs increase quickly after initial payment
Read our full CubeSmart review.
Best for flexible storage: iStorage
iStorage is a self-storage facility with several types of storage to fit any need. Whether you need boat storage or maybe mini-storage just for seasonal items, iStorage offers excellent month-to-month rates.
iStorage facilities utilize several security measures to keep possessions safe, but the exact features vary widely from location to location. iStorage purchases old storage units from other companies, transforming them to suit their brand. This means that some facilities may have similar storage services to other brands on our list, but no two facilities have the exact same setup or features.
iStorage also offers truck rental, dock access, and delivery acceptance to customers, in addition to providing each renter with a code that can be used to access their unit anytime, day or night.
The cost of a storage unit with iStorage can vary widely, and there are no discounts for long-term storage, as all units are rented on a month-to-month basis. In our recent evaluations, iStorage was found to be one of the more expensive companies to store with.
Additionally, iStorage is currently only available in 23 states, meaning you may not have one located near you. But if you do, iStorage is an excellent company for those who want month-to-month, no-hassle storage.
- All rentals are month-to-month, so you won’t be locked into a contract
- Military discounts available
- Sprays for pests to keep items safe
- Top-notch security features at most facilities
- Exact unit offerings can vary based on location
- Only available in 23 states (AL, AZ, CA, DE, FL, GA, IL, KS, MD, MN, MS, MO, NV, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, TN, TX, and VA)
Read our full iStorage review.
Best for moving and storage: U-Haul
Many U-Haul customers don’t realize that beyond moving truck rentals, U-Haul also offers several self-storage options. Whether you need RV storage or just a place to keep some extra furniture, U-Haul storage is the most widely available self-storage facility on our list, with locations in all 50 states and abroad in Canada.
89% of users select this mover
The best part about storing with U-Haul is that if you combine your storage rental with a one-way truck rental, you receive your first month of storage for free. Plus, there are no deposit fees when booking a unit. That being said, U-Haul is one of the pricier options on our list for self-storage, often being priced much higher than the competition.
U-Haul also offers U-Box containers, which are similar to PODS. U-Haul will drop off a storage container at your home and leave it for a few days so you can load it. Once it is loaded, you’ll call to schedule a pickup, and the container can be put directly into storage. This is an excellent option for renters who don’t wish to drive a moving truck and intend to store items for a long time. Just know that you will not have 24/7 access to this container while it is in storage like you would a normal storage unit.
If you can afford the cost, U-Haul is an excellent 24-hour self-storage option though 24-hour access may vary at some individual locations. Before you rent a unit with U-Haul, you will want to speak with the onsite manager to ensure the location you are renting allows 24-hour access.
- Available in every state
- Easy to combine with a move
- The first month of storage is free
- No deposit necessary to book
- Not all locations allow 24/7 access
- Can be more expensive than similar storage solutions
Read our full U-Haul Storage review.
Best for short-term storage: PODS
Many people know PODS, one of our best moving container companies, as a moving and shipping container company, but what most don’t know is that PODS also offers a unique short-term self-storage solution.
89% of users select this mover
When you book a PODS container, it will be delivered to your property, where you can pack and load it at your leisure. You can keep the container on your property for as long as you want, giving you a viable storage solution with 24-hour access that is located right outside your door.
PODS is available in 44 states (not in Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, or Wyoming). PODS does have locations, however, in Canada.
While PODS won’t work for most types of vehicle storage, it can be used for boxes, large pieces of equipment, or business storage solutions. Although PODS doesn’t allow you to purchase packing supplies through them, they do have options for those who need help loading or unloading their POD.
If you later decide to store your items long-term, you can call PODS to have them pick up the container and take it to one of their secure storage facilities. Just know that once your PODS container is at one of these facilities, it can no longer be easily accessed. You will need to call to arrange access.
It’s also important to note that you’ll need to check with your HOA before booking a PODS container. Some HOAs have limits on the length of time a storage container can be on your property, while others don’t allow them at all.
- Two container sizes to choose from
- Convenient (no need to drive to access your stored items)
- Offers last-minute bookings
- Limited online booking options (plan to call to book your storage)
- Cost can vary unpredictably depending on how long you keep your container
- No climate-controlled or vehicle storage options
Read our full PODS review.
Comparing the best 24-hour storage units
Still not sure which 24-hour storage unit is best for you? We’ve made the comparison table below to help you compare them side by side.
|Extra Space Storage
|43 states (not in AK, AR, ND, VT, WV, or WY
|41 states (not in AK, HI, ID, MT, ND, OR, SD, WV, or WY
|23 states (only available in AL, AZ, CA, DE, FL, GA, IL, KS, MD, MN, MS, MO, NV, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, TN, TX, and VA)
|Moving and storage
|All 50 states and Canada
|44 states and Canada(not available in AK, MT, ND, VT, WV, and WY)
What to look for in 24-hour access storage unit
As you shop for a storage unit you can access 24/7, you’ll want to look for the following features:
- Secure units: Security features vary widely between storage facilities. You’ll want to find a unit that offers additional features like surveillance cameras and premium locks to ensure your items stay safe in storage, especially if the facility allows 24/7 access when a manager may not always be onsite.
- Good lighting: If you need a 24-hour storage unit so you can access it at night, you’ll want to choose one with decent lighting so you aren’t trying to find what you need in the dark.
- Gate access: Most storage facilities offer 24-hour access with some sort of code. You’ll want to make sure you have the code for the gate to enter safely after hours and close it behind you.
- The right unit size: The size of the storage unit you need will depend on what you intend to store. Check out the size guide of your preferred storage facility to ensure they have the unit size you desire.
- Climate control units: If you intend to store electronics, valuables, or antiques, you’ll want to ensure a climate-controlled unit is available.
24-hour storage unit costs
The cost of a 24-hour storage unit can vary widely depending on several factors. Storage facilities located in areas where land is more expensive will cost more than those located in cheaper areas. For example, a storage unit in Brooklyn, New York, will cost far more than one located in Topeka, Kansas.
The final cost you pay for your storage unit will also depend on the services offered by your chosen facility. Units that allow 24/7 customer access often have additional security and will come at a premium compared to units that are only accessible during certain business hours.
Factors affecting 24-hour access storage unit costs
Some of the factors that will affect the cost of your storage unit are as follows:
- Unit size: The larger the unit, the more it costs.
- Unit location: Units in areas where land is more expensive will cost more than those in cheaper areas.
- Climate control: Units that are climate-controlled cost more than outdoor units.
- Rental contract length: Many companies offer discounts to customers who pay for a large amount of storage up front.
- Security features: Units with additional security features will cost more than units with basic security.
FAQs about 24-hour storage units
What are the benefits of 24-hour access storage units?
The benefits of 24-hour access storage units include being able to access your unit anytime you would like, even if you have an unusual schedule or suddenly need something in the middle of the night. 24-hour access storage units also typically have better security features, including gated access and safety lighting.
Where can I find 24-hour storage units?
The best way to find 24-hour storage units is to check with storage facilities near you, particularly if they are on this list of the top companies. Call the locations in your area and ask if they are open 24 hours. You can also check an online self-storage marketplace like SpareFoot.
Do I have to pay more for 24-hour access storage?
24-hour access to a storage unit is considered a premium feature. For this reason, many self-storage companies that allow 24/7 access cost more than storage units that have posted storage hours.
What is the most popular storage unit size?
The most popular storage unit size is a 10 x 10-foot unit, which can hold the contents of a one-bedroom apartment, including some appliances, furniture, and boxes.
What are the best 24-hour storage unit companies?
The best 24-hour storage unit companies are Extra Space Storage and CubeSmart. Both companies offer premium security features and allow customers to visit their units at any time during the day.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!