Here’s the bottom line: MiniMoves is a small-load full-service moving company that provides a variety of quality services at competitive prices — one reason why they are on our list of the best small load moving companies.
MiniMoves is unique in that they only service small moves, which can be as minor as a single piece of furniture or as large as a two-bedroom apartment.
MiniMoves is primarily a moving broker but they do directly service local moves within the Chicago area. If you live elsewhere, however, or are looking for international moving services, MiniMoves will set you up with one of the moving companies in its national network with which they partner.
MiniMoves trains and vets all partners to ensure customer satisfaction. MiniMoves claims to have the lowest number of damage claims of any full-service moving company in the United States.
MiniMoves can truly design their small-load move, whether they want help with packing and unpacking or want to do it all themselves. MiniMoves has an A+ rating and accreditation with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and is known for its excellent customer service.
89% of users select this mover
Currently, MiniMoves provides moving services in 46 states and internationally, and they can help with corporate and military moves in addition to standard residential relocations. They can also help with debris removal (in Chicago)and temporary storage, and provide assistance sorting through an estate.
Do you think that MiniMoves can help you with your next state-to-state move? Let’s dive in and see!
Pros & cons of MiniMoves
- Offers competitive moving services for those with a two-bedroom apartment or smaller
- Highly rated by the BBB (Better Business Bureau)
- Offers packing and unpacking services
- Can arrange short-term storage in connection with a move
- Thoroughly vets all service providers in their network
- Free quotes are available online
- Easy-to-use website
- Does not facilitate large moves
- Not available in all states (doesn’t serve AK, ND, SD, or VT)
- Moving specialty items can involve additional fees
- MiniMoves (USDOT#526036) provides full-service local, long-distance, and international moving services at competitive prices, but they aren’t available in all states.
- MiniMoves offers everything from packing and unpacking to temporary storage and extra insurance for specialty items.
- MiniMoves is one of the best movers for small moves but doesn’t facilitate larger moves. They also help arrange the transportation of vehicles, motorcycles, and boats.
Jump to the MiniMoves info you’re looking for:
- MiniMoves pricing: How much it costs to move
- MiniMoves offers a wide variety of services
- How MiniMoves stacks up against the competition
- How moving with MiniMoves works
- MiniMoves is perfect for people who…
MiniMoves pricing: How much it costs to move
As with most moving companies, the final cost of moving with MiniMoves will depend on several variables, like how many items you are moving, how far you are moving, and the additional services your move requires.
MiniMoves provides free quotes online, but for a more personalized or specialty quote, you may want to call a customer service representative. On the phone, you can provide the agent with additional information about your move to ensure you get the most accurate quote possible.
Because MiniMoves can handle even the smallest moves (like shipping a piece of furniture), their costs can vary widely, with the lowest ones being just a couple hundred dollars and larger international moves often costing a few thousand.
Lyle, one of moveBuddha’s Better Moves Project participants, chose MiniMoves because it was one of the few moving companies that would accept his small move. With only about 70 items total (including boxes and furniture), most companies didn’t want to work with him.
Lyle was overall impressed by MiniMoves’ affordable prices, excellent customer service, and the professionalism of the movers who helped with his move. While he wasn’t happy that his move was subcontracted out to another company, overall, his move went smoothly.
Lyle’s move from Florida to North Carolina cost $3,600. Another Better Moves project participant, Jennifer, paid $2,176 to move about 20 items from Colorado to Texas.
Take a look at our moving cost calculator to compare MiniMoves quotes against others in the industry to see if they are affordable for you.
MiniMoves offers a wide variety of services
Although it specializes in small moves, MiniMoves provides many of the same offerings as larger full-service companies, including:
- Local moves: MiniMoves handles both full-service and basic moving services for relocations fewer than 50 miles.
- Long-distance moves: Like most moving companies, MiniMoves provides interstate and cross-country moves. But unlike many pro movers and van lines, they welcome small loads. The majority of these moves involve loading items in storage/transport containers and shipping them using a less-than-truckload (LTL) freight carrier.
- International moves: MiniMoves can facilitate international moves to some locations. They can also help arrange unpacking services on drop-off day.
- Military moves: MiniMoves remains a leading Department of Defense-approved transportation service provider and proudly provides small long-distance services for military personnel.
- Corporate moves: MiniMoves offers comprehensive business moving services with transit times ranging from two to 12 days. Business customers should call the phone number posted on the company’s website for additional information.
- Retirement center moves: Moving to a retirement home often requires downsizing. MiniMoves can also help with moves from one retirement home to another.
- Packing and unpacking: Among their options are professional packing and unpacking services and customized crating solutions, when needed.
- Storage: They offer temporary storage options that can be booked with a move.
- Furniture shipping: From one piece to an entire room of furniture, MiniMoves will safely transport these items on a moving truck.
- Moving boxes and supplies: They sell boxes and a large array of packing materials.
- Debris removal: Customers based in the local Chicago area can call MiniMoves to haul away old furniture, clothing, and more.
- Full replacement value coverage: If an item becomes damaged or lost during shipping, MiniMoves will either repair, replace, or pay the replacement cost. Additional fees do apply for full replacement value coverage.
How MiniMoves stacks up against the competition
MiniMoves vs. U-Pack
Both MiniMoves and U-Pack are excellent choices for those who are only moving a small load. However, while MiniMoves offers a wide range of full-service options, with U-Pack, you will need to be prepared to do everything yourself.
89% of users select this mover
Moving with U-Pack includes the company dropping off a shipping container in your driveway, which you pack and load on your own. While this is cheaper than moving with MiniMoves, it is not ideal for those who have limited mobility or want help shipping delicate items.
The good news is whether you work with MiniMoves or U-Pack, you will only pay for the space you use. What this means with U-Pack is you don’t pay per moving container. Instead, you are charged for the actual footage your items occupy.
Unfortunately, U-Pack doesn’t facilitate local moves, so those moving within their city will need to consider MiniMoves, which also has a self-pack option if you prefer to pack your items yourself.
MiniMoves vs. U-Ship
Both U-Ship and MiniMoves specialize in moving small shipments across the nation, whether you are shipping a single piece or the contents of a small apartment. This is where the similarities end, though.
89% of users select this mover
While MiniMoves is a full-service moving and shipping company, U-Ship is only a marketplace where you can find someone to help with your move. While this means working with U-Ship is very cheap, it’s important to know that there is no guarantee as to what type of service you will receive during your move.
Plus, U-Ship doesn’t help with extra services like short-term storage, packing, or specialty item transport.
Movers who need lots of help or want a less stressful moving experience with guaranteed customer service are better off choosing MiniMoves. But if you don’t live in an area serviced by MiniMoves (Alaska, North Dakota, South Dakota, or Vermont), U-Ship might be a viable alternative when you are making a mini move.
|Company||BBB score||State availability||International moves?|
|MiniMoves||A+||47 states (not in AK, ND, SD, or VTt)||Yes|
|U-Pack||A+||All 50 states||No|
|U-Ship||A+||All 50 states||Yes|
How moving with MiniMoves works
MiniMoves brokers most of its moves, which means that your experience may vary depending on the exact specifications of your move. Let’s take a closer look at what the moving process looks like with MiniMoves.
Getting a quote
The MiniMoves website (minimoves.com) is very easy to use, and they have a variety of services movers can choose from when they request their free moving quote. You can get your free quote entirely online — without ever having to talk to an agent like you do with other companies.
If you have specialty items, like family heirlooms, which need special wrapping and care, it is a good idea to call the phone number on the website and speak directly with an agent. This way, they can give you a personalized quote for the services you require.
To receive a binding quote, you will need to speak to an agent via phone. Once you receive your binding quote, it is valid for 30 days. If you do not accept it before then, you’ll need to get a new quote.
Depending on the services your move requires, you may have to place a deposit in order to book your move.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Booking and moving
After you agree to a binding quote, MiniMoves will provide you with information about the facilitation of your move. This can include the companies you will be working with, as well as the date and time to expect packers to arrive at your home if you booked a full-service move.
Once the day of your move arrives, MiniMoves will arrive at your home to pack your items and load them into the truck. Once everything is loaded, you will be provided a bill of lading, as well as information about tracking services if they are provided.
You will likely already have a delivery window, but if you haven’t been given one yet, the driver will let you know when your items will arrive at your new home.
When the truck arrives for drop-off at your new home, unpackers will also arrive to help you get settled in (if you have booked a full-service move). At this time, you will need to pay the driver in full for your move.
In some cases, the same people driving the truck will be the ones helping you pack and unpack, but there are also cases where a third-party truck is used and a different crew will be showing up to assist. This information will be given to you in advance by MiniMoves.
MiniMoves is perfect for people who want a full-service small move
MiniMoves is perfect for you if you want to kick back and put your feet up, even with a small move. MiniMoves is one of the only full-service moving companies for small loads, but there are less expensive options out there if you don’t mind packing and loading yourself.
MiniMoves is also perfect for customers who:
- Don’t want to drive a moving truck
- Have a small amount of items to move
- Want someone to do the unpacking and packing for them
- Need short-term storage during their move
- Have specialty items that need special care in transit
Overall, MiniMoves is a quality service provider in the moving industry for those who only have a small number of items to move and want help to do so. If you don’t like all the hassles that come with moving and don’t mind paying a little extra for them, MiniMoves might be an excellent choice for you.
If you have more than a two-bedroom apartment worth of stuff or want a different move solution that comes at a lower cost, check out our picks for best interstate movers and best long-distance moving companies to see some other options for your upcoming move.
What qualifies as a mini move?
A mini move — or small load move — is any move that contains less than a two-bedroom apartment’s worth of stuff. This means anyone moving a single bedroom, or even just a few boxes of items, can be considered to be making a mini move.
What is the minimum amount of stuff MiniMoves will ship?
With MiniMoves, you can ship as little as a single piece of furniture, as there is no minimum requirement to use their services.
Does MiniMoves ship vehicles?
MiniMoves can help with the shipment of most cars, boats, and motorcycles through third-party partners. To see if they are able to ship your vehicle, you will need to contact their customer service call center.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!