Here’s the bottom line: Nationwide Auto Transportation is a reputable car shipping broker with a vast network of partner carriers in 48 U.S. states. Its reputation and competitive price tag make it a great fit for vehicle shipments between 500 and 1,000 miles.
In the 15 years it’s been around, Nationwide Auto Transportation has developed an impressive range of car shipping services, including open and enclosed carriers for everything from your typical vehicle to a luxury car you need to keep in perfect condition and even specialty equipment, like heavy machinery and ATVs.
Keep reading to uncover the pros and cons, pricing structure, services, and more about Nationwide Auto Transportation so you can make the best decision for your vehicle and your budget.
Pros & cons of shipping your car with Nationwide Auto
- Services the entire contiguous USA
- Competitive prices for their transport services
- Offers convenient SMS communication with dispatch and online tracking
- Strong customer reviews across several sites, including BBB
- Ships all types of vehicles, including motorcycles, boats, military vehicles, SUVs, and sedans
- Can accommodate last-minute and same-day shipping in some cases
- Provides no-obligation free quotes online
- More than 15 years in the car transport business
- Offers open and enclosed carriers, plus heavy-duty and classic vehicle shipping
- Doesn’t service Alaska or Hawaii
- Doesn’t offer extra insurance coverage beyond the minimum required by law
- Nationwide Auto Transportation (USDOT#2248682) is a Denver-based car transport company that brokers door-to-door vehicle shipping services in the contiguous United States.
- The company provides transparent pricing and convenient scheduling with its online quote tool.
- Compared to other car shipping companies, Nationwide Auto Transportation maintains an impressive reputation of consistently satisfying customers, as evidenced by reviews on the Better Business Bureau, Trustpilot, and other reliable review sites.
Jump to the Nationwide Auto info you’re looking for:
- Nationwide Auto pricing: How much it costs for car shipping
- Nationwide Auto Transportation offers a wide variety of services
- How Nationwide Auto stacks up against the competition
- How shipping with Nationwide Auto Transportation works
- Should you use Nationwide Auto Transportation
Nationwide Auto pricing: How much it costs for car shipping
Nationwide Auto allows customers to request free quotes online with minimal hassle. All you have to do is input your pickup and delivery locations, desired pickup date, and the make, model, and year of your vehicle.
The online quote tool will automatically generate your rate, and you can move ahead by submitting a deposit. Customer reviews cite that Nationwide was among the cheapest options without sacrificing service quality.
Your auto shipping quote may vary based on your selected services, the size and weight of your vehicle, and your desired timeline. Expedited and last-minute shipping generally costs more than open car transport with flexibility. Don’t hesitate to ask about promotional pricing or request free quotes from other car shipping companies if you get sticker shock.
Nationwide Auto Transportation offers a wide variety of services
Nationwide Auto Transportation has a full suite of door-to-door transport services to get your vehicle where it needs to be, including:
- Open car transport: Open carriers are efficient and cost-effective for transporting traditional sedans, SUVs, and trucks, but they carry the risk of damage from road debris and weather in transit.
- Enclosed carrier: Enclosed trailers can protect classic cars, antiques, and high-value vehicles you can’t risk damage to, but it will be more expensive and shipping can take more time.
- Specialty vehicle shipping: Nationwide Auto Transportation can ship motorcycles, boats, RVs, and ATVs via open or enclosed carriers.
- Heavy-duty shipping: In addition to vehicles, the company can accommodate heavy or bulk shipments of stock or business equipment. The company even has access to refrigerated trucks for perishable items.
- Car buyers: If you have bought or sold a vehicle in another part of the country, you can hire Nationwide Auto Transportation to get the car to you or its new owner.
- International car shipping: Nationwide Auto Transportation can work with international carriers to ship your vehicle abroad by air freight, cargo ship, or shipping container.
- Same-day car shipping: Nationwide Auto Transportation will move heaven and earth to get vehicles to their new homes within 24 hours when you pay extra for this service. It is a great option if you decide to take your vehicle with you at the last minute.
- Military transport: Nationwide has experience working with government-sponsored vehicle transportation for active duty military members, but it’s important to note that this option is only available for terminal-to-terminal delivery to an approved military location.
- Student drivers: Parents and students can ship vehicles to college campuses if they’d rather fly or move by other means.
Nationwide Auto Transportation runs a 20% off promotion for customers who haven’t used their services before. If you’re not a new customer, it doesn’t hurt to ask about other car shipping discounts. Some carriers may even run their own promotions.
How Nationwide Auto stacks up against the competition
Nationwide Auto Transport has a lot in common with some of the best car shipping companies we know. You can make an informed decision for your car shipping needs by comparing your Nationwide quote and service offerings to similar auto transport services.
Nationwide Auto Transportation vs. SGT Auto Transport
SGT Auto Transport won our pick for best overall car shipping company because its pricing is competitive, transparent, and unlikely to change while your vehicle is en route. Like Nationwide, SGT offers open and enclosed transport options for various vehicle types.
89% of users select this mover
However, SGT doesn’t have the ability to ship large and bulky vehicles, like RVs, so Nationwide would be the better fit there. Nationwide’s online tracking capabilities are also more robust than SGT’s.
That said, SGT is able to service pickup and drop-off in Hawaii, while Nationwide only operates within the contiguous United States. Both companies are brokers, which means your service quality depends on your specific carrier, but SGT may provide more peace of mind through its add-on insurance coverage options.
Nationwide Auto Transportation vs. Sherpa Auto Transport
Sherpa Auto Transport is another car shipping broker coordinating door-to-door service in the contiguous United States. Though they’ve only been in business since 2017, they have one of the best reputations in the entire industry for providing consistent services at competitive prices.
89% of users select this mover
Sherpa can be a great option if you’re worried about putting a large deposit down because they don’t require one when you book. That can come with additional demands because its carriers only accept final payment by cash or certified check.
However, Sherpa’s Price Lock Guarantee protects you from unexpected fees throughout the car shipping process.
While Sherpa works with enclosed and open carriers, it doesn’t offer transport services for boats, RVs, ATVs, or other bulky equipment. Nationwide shines in this area by offering individual car shipping services and heavy-duty freight shipping.
|Company||BBB score||State availability||Extra insurance coverage?|
|Nationwide Auto Transportation||A+||48 (not in AK or HI)||No|
|SGT Auto Transport||B||49 (not in AK)||Yes|
|Sherpa Auto Transport||A+||48 (not in AK or HI)||Yes|
How shipping with Nationwide Auto Transportation works
Because Nationwide Auto Transportation is a broker, your car shipping experience can vary depending on your carrier’s protocols and preferences. We explain the differences between car shipping brokers and car shipping carriers here.
Everything kicks off when you request your free quote. If you decide to go ahead with your booking, you’ll be assigned a car shipping company that can meet your needs. At that point, you’ll be sent an invoice for your deposit.
Once you’ve put your deposit down, the company will begin coordinating your pickup and delivery dates.
You will need to use this time to prepare your vehicle by removing all personal items and ensuring it’s in operable condition. Upon pickup, you’ll need to have proper photo identification and all required documents filled out to give to your carrier.
Once all paperwork is in order, your car shipper will load your car and take it to its new location. You’ll be able to track it in transit and request updates by text the whole time. When your car is delivered, you’ll need to pay the remaining balance outlined on your invoice in full to take your vehicle back.
Nationwide Auto Transportation only works with insured carriers, but it doesn’t offer additional insurance coverage, which may be cause for concern if your vehicle is damaged during transit.
Should you use Nationwide Auto Transportation to ship your car?
Still not sure whether Nationwide is the right fit for your car shipping needs? Check out our recommendations below.
Use Nationwide Auto Transportation if:
- You’re shipping a car between 500 and 1,000 miles within the contiguous United States. At these distances, Nationwide can bring the per-mile cost down to $1, which is considered very competitive for car shipping costs.
- You need to ship a specialty vehicle like a boat, motorcycle, or RV
- You want to ship bulk commercial items like business equipment or overstock
Don’t use Nationwide Auto Transportation if:
- You’re shipping to or from Alaska or Hawaii
- You want additional insurance coverage for peace of mind. While all Nationwide’s partners are insured, the company offers no additional coverage options or guarantees.
- You want a fixed-rate price guarantee
Don’t forget to look at our picks for overall best moving companies, as many of them will help coordinate vehicle shipping as part of your long-distance move.
How do I know if an auto transport company is legit?
You’ll know an auto transport company is legit when they carry all relevant Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) credentials. Reputable car shippers will make this information easy to find and readily available, but you can always look up USDOT and motor carrier numbers through government databases.
What do I need to do to make sure my car is safe?
There are a few things you need to do to make sure your car is safe once you hand it over to an auto transport company. Ahead of your auto transportation services, make sure you do the following:
- Remove all household items and valuables
- Lock your vehicle
- Double-check your selected auto shipping company’s tracking capabilities
- Exchange contact information with your assigned carrier
Does Nationwide Auto Transportation have a cancellation policy?
Yes, Nationwide Auto Transportation has a cancellation policy. It outlines all its terms and conditions in its contracts. You can cancel your reservation at any time before you submit your deposit. After that, it’s a little more complicated. Once you’ve been assigned a carrier, you may still cancel, but you won’t receive your deposit back.
If a carrier isn’t available within five days of your preferred pickup date, the car transport company will give you a full refund.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!