Moving from San Diego, CA to Columbus, OH: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from San Diego, CA to Columbus, OH averages from $1,425 to $7,631 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Columbus, OH. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Columbus to San Diego guide.
- Best San Diego to Columbus movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from San Diego to Columbus.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- San Diego to Columbus car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 2,225 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from San Diego to Columbus?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,301 - $5,235||$1,278 - $3,171||$1,317 - $2,544|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,582 - $7,631||$2,274 - $4,702||$1,425 - $3,029|
|4+ bedrooms||$6,725 - $11,756||$3,122 - $6,367||$1,800 - $3,712|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,225 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from San Diego to Columbus will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best San Diego to Columbus Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from San Diego to Columbus?
To ship furniture from San Diego to Columbus with a mover will cost between $1,301 to $5,235. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $3,582 to $7,631, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from San Diego to Columbus will cost from $6,725 to $11,756.
How much are moving container companies from San Diego to Columbus?
Moving containers from San Diego to Columbus will cost you $1,278 to $3,171 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,274 to $4,702. A larger home will cost $3,122 to $6,367.
How much is a moving truck from San Diego to Columbus?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,317 to $2,544. A larger move will cost $1,425 to $3,029, and a 4+ bedroom move from San Diego to Columbus costs from $1,800 to $3,712.
How to ship a car from San Diego to Columbus?
If you're moving from San Diego to Columbus and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated San Diego to Columbus car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from San Diego, CA to Columbus, OH a good idea?
Cost of Living: San Diego vs Columbus
|Average rent cost||$2,374||$912|
|Average home value||$944,228||$223,836|
|Average income (per capita)||$66,995||$60,205|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,028||$915|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,686||$3,229|
|State Income Tax||13.3%||3.99%|
- Rent Prices in Columbus, OH are 62% lower than in San Diego, CA.
- Home Prices in Columbus, OH are 76.3% lower than in San Diego, CA.
- Income in Columbus, OH is 10.1% lower than in San Diego, CA.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Columbus, OH is 11.0% lower than in San Diego, CA.
- Cost of Living for a family in Columbus, OH is 12.4% lower than in San Diego, CA.
- Unemployment rate in Columbus, OH is 18.57% lower than in San Diego, CA.
- Sales Taxes in Columbus, OH are 3.23% lower than in San Diego, CA.
- State Income Taxes in Columbus, OH are 70.00% lower than in San Diego, CA.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,670.2 in Columbus to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in San Diego.
How is life different in San Diego, CA to Columbus, OH?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||5||6|
|Bike friendliness score||48||43|
- Columbus’s population is about 35% less than San Diego.
- Columbus’s public transportation is better than San Diego with a score of 5 vs 6.
- Columbus is less walkable than San Diego with a score of 41 vs 53.
- Columbus is more bike-friendly than San Diego with a score of 48 vs 43.
- Columbus's crime rate is higher than San Diego with a score of 37.49 compared to 21.98.
- Columbus is considered to be less safe than San Diego with a score of 56.58 vs 62.95.
- Air Quality in Columbus is Good, and in San Diego it’s Moderate.
Considerations for moving to Columbus, OH
- Weather: Columbus doesn't get the snowfall that more northern Ohio gets but it does have some of the severe weather that's common in the midwest such as strong lightning storms and hail. In general, you can expect all 4 seasons in Columbus so take that into account when choosing the time of the year that you move..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: Although a local license is not required in Ohio, make sure the moving company you’ll be hiring is registered with U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT). To verify if you’re dealing with a legal and licensed mover, you may ask them their USDOT registration number. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Ohio moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Ohio does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Columbus. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local San Diego Movers
|Two Men and a Truck||Get A Quote||
9245 Farnham St, San Diego, CA, 92123
|Move Central Moving Services||Get A Quote||
8963 Carroll Way, Suite B1, San Diego, CA, 92121
|Republic Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
8140 St Andrews Ave, San Diego, CA, 92154
Visit our Best Movers in San Diego page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Columbus, OH
Now that you've decided to make the move to "The Arch City", these are the best neighborhoods in Columbus to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Short North
- Victorian Village
- Grandview Heights
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Upper Arlington
What to do in Columbus
Moving to The “The Arch City”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Ohio home.
- Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
- Easton Town Center
- COSI (Center of Science and Industry)
- North Market Farmer's Market
- Scioto Mile
- German Village
- Ohio Stadium
- Ohio Theater
- Columbus Museum of Art
- Wagner-Hagans Auto Museum
- Nationwide Arena
- Ohio State University
- Huntington Park
- Shadowbox Live
Get your sports on!Columbus is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Columbus Crew (MLS)
- Ohio State Buckeyes (NCAA)
- Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL)
- Columbus Clippers (AAAE)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- New York City to Columbus
- Chicago to Columbus
- Houston to Columbus
- Phoenix to Columbus
- Philadelphia to Columbus
- San Antonio to Columbus
- Dallas to Columbus
- Austin to Columbus
- Jacksonville to Columbus
- Fort Worth to Columbus