Quick Answer: The average cost to move from California to Arizona ranges from $914 to $5,375. Moving costs will vary based on the amount of stuff being moved, the time of year, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself.
Moving out of state can feel overwhelming. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know for your move to Arizona. But just in case you’re short on time, here are a few quick resources to get immediate answers.
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Arizona to California guide.
- How much will your move cost?: Want to narrow down how much your move will cost? Use our moving cost calculator to get more specific price ranges and recommendations on the best companies to use for your move.
- Best California to Arizona movers: If you plan on hiring a moving company, you won't regret checking out our list of the top movers from California to Arizona.
- Best Moving Container Companies: Use a trustworthy moving container company for a more budget-friendly option, and leave the driving to the professionals.
- Best Car Shipping Companies: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Okay, let’s talk about moving costs.
How much does it cost to move from California to Arizona?
The table below lays out average cost ranges for different moving services depending on the size of your home.
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,174 - $3,213||$1,026 - $2,039||$864 - $1,197|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,083 - $5,375||$1,917 - $3,048||$914 - $1,411|
|4+ bedrooms||$3,788 - $8,020||$2,545 - $3,787||$1,153 - $1,667|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 730 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from California to Arizona will depend on:
- Move size: Moving a large home costs more than moving a studio apartment.
- Time of year: The peak moving season is in the summer, this makes prices higher.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: You may save money with a DIY move, but you also will have to do all the work.
How much does it cost to hire movers from California to Arizona?
To ship furniture from California to Arizona with a mover will cost between $1,174-$3,213. The cost to move a 2-3 bedroom home from CA to AZ will range from $2,083 to $5,375, and a large move from California to Arizona will cost from $3,788 to $8,020.
How much are moving containers like PODS from California to Arizona?
Moving pods from California to Arizona will cost you $1,026-$2,039 for a small move. For a 2-3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,917 - $3,048. A 4-bedroom move or bigger will cost $2,545 - $3,787.
How much is a moving truck from California to Arizona?
A moving rental truck is generally the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $864 to $1,197. A larger move will cost $914 - $1,411, and a 4+ bedroom move from California to Arizona costs from $1,153 - $1,667.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best California to Arizona Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
Looking for local California movers?
|Meathead Movers||Get A Quote||
4744 North El Capitan Avenue, Fresno, CA, 93722
|Smooth Move USA||Get A Quote||
3101 Gilmore Avenue, Bakersfield, CA, 93308
|Gentle Giant Moving Company||Get A Quote||
361 Swift Ave, South San Francisco, CA, 94080
Visit our Best Movers in California page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
How to ship a car from California to Arizona
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car safely arrives in Arizona.
Here's our list of the best California to Arizona car shipping companies.
|Best Overall Value||Best Insurance Coverage||Best for Quick Pick Up||Best for accurate pricing||Best auto transport marketplace|
|(224) 206-5633||(866) 563-0804||(888) 259-6046||(833) 775-1461|
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from California to Arizona a good idea?
If you’re moving to Arizona from California, you’ll want to compare what life will be like.
Cost of Living: California vs Arizona
|Average rent cost||$1,503||$1,052|
|Average home cost||$758,360||$407,715|
|Average income (per capita)||$78,672||$58,945|
|Cost of Living Index||151||97|
|Average Sales Tax||8.68%||8.4%|
|State Income Tax||13.3%||4.5%|
- Rent is about the same cost in Arizona and California.
- Home prices are about the same in Arizona and California.
- The average income is about the same in Arizona and California.
- Cost of living is about the same in Arizona and California.
- Arizona and California have about the same unemployment rate.
- Sales taxes are the same in Arizona and California.
- Income taxes are the same in Arizona and California.
How is life different in Arizona from California?
|Political leaning||Democrat 49-49||Democratic 63-34|
- The population of Arizona is approximately 81% lower than the population of California.
- In the last presidential election, Arizona voted Democrat and California voted Democratic.
- The average high in the summertime in Arizona is 99ºF and in California, it’s 87ºF.
- During the coldest part of the year, Arizona reaches the temperature of 34ºF and California gets down to 59ºF.
- You can expect about 12 inches of annual rainfall in Arizona vs 22 inches of rainfall in California.
- In Arizona, it snows about 6 inches annually vs 7 inches of snow in California.
- Arizona has a higher crime rate than California with a crime index of 28.15 vs 25.7.
Comparing the pros of California vs. Arizona:
There are always a lot of reasons to get excited about living somewhere new. These are the best parts of living in California vs Arizona side-by-side.
|Pros of living in California||Pros of living in Arizona|
|Ample economic opportunity||Ample economic opportunity|
|Pleasant weather||Pleasant weather|
|Abundant recreational options||Abundant recreational opportunities|
|High quality of life||Cultural diversity|
|Fresh and healthy foods||No traffic|
Comparing the cons of living in California vs. Arizona:
Not everything is sunshine and rainbows, these are the things to be aware of when leaving California for Arizona.
|Cons of living in California||Cons of living in Arizona|
|High cost of living||Extreme weather|
|Heavy tax burdens||Barren desert land|
|Natural disasters||Health hazards|
|Terrible traffic||Problematic people and politics|
|Strange laws||No winter|
Considerations for moving to Arizona
- Weather: Arizona may be on of the top states where your move is least likely to be affected by climate due to the unlikelihood of extremely cold days and natural disasters.
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: One common and important example of something that should be handled ahead of time is reserving the building's elevator and finding out their rules for using the elevator.
- Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles, find out ahead of time with your new local rules.
- State Licensing: Though Arizona is largely an “unregulated” state, local moving companies are subject to some Arizona Department of Public Safety (AZDPS) and Department of Weights and Measures regulations intended to ensure that they operate safely and ethically. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Arizona moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Arizona does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Arizona. Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Peace of mind is priceless. Our moving checklist will help you know you’ve got everything covered.
Where to move to in Arizona
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Grand Canyon State," these are the best cities in Arizona to move to.
Most popular cities to move to in Arizona:
Things to do in Arizona
While you’re in Arizona, you won’t be bored. These are some of the coolest places to visit in your new home state.
- Grand Canyon
- Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park
- Hoover Dam
- Phoenix Zoo
- Havasu Falls
- Saguaro National Park
- Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Arizona Science Center
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
- Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
- Meteor Crater Natural Landmark
- Lake Mead National Recreation Area
- Petrified Forest National Park
- Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument
- Tumacácori National Historical Park
- London Bridge
- Horseshoe Bend
- Desert Botanical Garden
- Heard Museum
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- California to Phoenix
- California to Tucson
- California to Mesa
- California to Chandler
- California to Gilbert
- Los Angeles to Arizona
- San Diego to Arizona
- San Jose to Arizona
- San Francisco to Arizona
- Fresno to Arizona
- Los Angeles to Phoenix
- Los Angeles to Tucson
- Los Angeles to Mesa
- Los Angeles to Chandler
- Los Angeles to Gilbert
Learn more about Arizona
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!