Moving from Texas to Winston-Salem, NC: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The average cost to move from Texas to Winston-Salem, NC ranges from $910 to $6,571. Moving costs will vary based on the amount of stuff being moved, the time of year, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself.
Moving out of state can feel overwhelming. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know for your move to Winston-Salem, NC. But just in case you’re short on time, here are a few quick resources to get immediate answers.
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Winston-Salem, NC to Texas guide.
- How much will your move cost?: Want to narrow down how much your move will cost? Use our moving cost calculator to get more specific price ranges and recommendations on the best companies to use for your move.
- Best Texas to Winston-Salem, NC movers: If you plan on hiring a moving company be sure to check out our list of the top movers from Texas to Winston-Salem, NC.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Texas to Winston-Salem, NC car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Okay, let’s talk about moving costs.
How much does it cost to move from Texas to Winston-Salem, NC?
The table below lays out average cost ranges for different moving services depending on the size of your home.
|Size of the Move||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,238 - $4,950||$967 - $2,372||$842 - $1,607|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,835 - $6,571||$1,731 - $3,488||$910 - $1,912|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,890 - $9,019||$2,348 - $4,633||$1,144 - $2,332|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,322 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Texas to Winston-Salem, NC will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Texas to Winston-Salem, NC Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire movers from Texas to Winston-Salem, NC?
To ship furniture from Texas to Winston-Salem with a mover will cost between $1,238 to $4,950. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home from Winston-Salem to NC will range from $2,835 to $6,571, and a large move from Texas to Winston-Salem will cost from $4,890 to $9,019.
How much are moving containers like PODS from Texas to Winston-Salem, NC?
Moving pods from Texas to Winston-Salem will cost you $967 to $2,372 for a small move. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,731 to $3,488. A 4-bedroom move or bigger will cost $2,348 to $4,633.
How much is a moving truck from Texas to Winston-Salem, NC?
A moving rental truck is generally the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $842 to $1,607. A larger move will cost $910 to $1,912, and a 4+ bedroom move from Texas to Winston-Salem costs from $1,144 to $2,332.
How to ship a car from Texas to Winston-Salem, NC
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable TX to Winston-Salem, NC car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Texas to Winston-Salem, NC a good idea?
Cost of Living: Texas vs Winston-Salem, NC
|Average rent cost||$1,045||$875|
|Average home value||$276,048||$209,917|
|Average income (per capita)||$61,874||$57,667|
|State Income Tax||0.0%||5.25%|
Winston-Salem sources: Zumper, Zillow, Numbeo
- Rent is about 16% less expensive in Winston-Salem than in Texas.
- Home prices are about 24.0% lower in Winston-Salem than in Texas.
- The average income is about 6.8% lower in Winston-Salem than in Texas.
- Winston-Salem has a higher unemployment rate than Texas by about 4.0%.
- Income taxes are 5.25% higher in Winston-Salem than in Texas.
How is life different in Winston-Salem from Texas?
|Political leaning||Democrat 56-42||Republican 52-46|
Winston-Salem sources: Wikipedia, AllTransit, Walk Score, NeighborhoodScout, AirNow
- The population of Winston-Salem is approximately 99% lower than the population of Texas.
- In the last presidential election, Winston-Salem voted Democrat and Texas voted Republican.
- The average high in the summertime in Winston-Salem is 88ºF and in Texas, it’s 94ºF.
- During the coldest part of the year, Winston-Salem reaches the temperature of 28ºF and Texas gets down to 36ºF.
- You can expect about 45 inches of annual rainfall in Winston-Salem vs 36 inches of rainfall in Texas.
- In Winston-Salem, it snows about 6 inches annually vs 2 inches of snow in Texas.
- Winston-Salem has a lower crime rate than Texas with a crime index of 27.11 vs 7.81.
Considerations for moving to Winston-Salem, NC
- Weather: Climate in Winston-Salem is unlikely to affect your move but a freezing day in the winter could affect the conditions of the roads. .
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: One common and important example of something that should be handled ahead of time is reserving the building's elevator and finding out their rules for using the elevator.
- Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles, find out ahead of time with your new local rules.
- State Licensing: For-profit household goods carriers in the state fall under the jurisdiction of the North Carolina Utilities Commission, Transportation Division. All legitimate movers should have a “C Number” issued by the commission, signifying that they’ve met minimum insurance requirements and adhere to the provisions outlined in the state’s Maximum Rate Tariff (MRT). Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a North Carolina moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: North Carolina does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to North Carolina. Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Peace of mind is priceless. Our moving checklist will help you know you’ve got everything covered.
Looking for local Texas movers?
|Square Cow||Get A Quote||
2500 Brushy Creek Loop, Cedar Park, TX, 78613
|3 Men Movers||Get A Quote||
302 Casa Blanca St, San Antonio, TX, 78215
|Olde World Movers||Get A Quote||
909 Heather Dr, Euless, TX, 76040
Visit our Best Movers in Texas page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Comparing the pros of Texas vs. Winston-Salem, NC:
There are always a lot of reasons to get excited about living somewhere new. These are the best parts of living in Texas vs Winston-Salem side-by-side.
|Pros of living in Texas||Pros of living in Winston-Salem, NC|
|Ample economic opportunity||No traffic|
|Favorable climate||Friendly people|
|Delicious barbecue||Low cost of living|
|Low taxes||Beautiful scenery|
|Privacy and freedom||Quality education|
Comparing the cons of living in Texas vs. Winston-Salem, NC:
Not everything is sunshine and rainbows, these are the things to be aware of when leaving Texas for Winston-Salem.
|Cons of living in Texas||Cons of living in Winston-Salem, NC|
|Severe weather||Summertime humidity|
|Limited healthcare access||Allergy-inducing pollen|
|High crime rate||Limited public transportation|
|Traffic issues||Small airport|
Need a local Winston-Salem mover?
|American Moving and Hauling Inc.||Get A Quote||
535 Clemmonsville Rd D, Winston-Salem, NY, 27107
|Todd’s Easy Moves||Get A Quote||
3136 Starlight Drive, Winston-Salem, NC, 27107
|Two Men and a Truck||Get A Quote||
130 Stratford Ct, Winston-Salem, NC, 27103
Visit our Best Movers in Winston-Salem page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in Winston-Salem?
Whether you’re looking for parks, museums, sports, or even universities, you’ll be happy to find a plethora of these in Winston-Salem.
Museums in Winston-Salem
- Old Salem Museums & Gardens
- Frank L Horton Museum Center
- Kaleideum Downtown
- Kaleideum North
- Reynolda House Museum of American Art
- Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art
- Winston Cup Museum
- Museum of Anthropology
- Shell Station Museum
- Körner’s Folly
Parks in Winston-Salem
- REYNOLDA ESTATE
- SALEM LAKE
- QUARRY PARK AND NATURE PRESERVE
- POLO PARK
- HATHAWAY PARK
- HANES PARK
- HAPPY HOUNDS AT HORIZONS PARK
- WASHINGTON DOG PARK
- TANGLEWOOD PARK
- Tanglewood Park
- Reynolda Estate
- Salem Lake
- Quarry Park and Nature Preserve
- Polo Park
- Hathaway Park
- Hanes Park
- Happy Hounds at Horizons Park
- Washington Dog Park
- Tanglewood Park
Sports Teams in Winston-Salem
- Winston-Salem State University Rams (NCAA)
- Winston-Salem Dash (High-A East)
- Carolina Thunderbirds (FPHL)
- Winston-Salem Wolves (East Coast Basketball League)
- Wake Forest (NCAA)
Universities in Winston-Salem
- Wake Forest University
- Winston-Salem State University
- University of North Carolina School of the Arts
- Salem College
- Forsyth Technical Community College
- Living Arts Institute
- Carolina University
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Winston-Salem
- New York City to Winston-Salem
- Chicago to Winston-Salem
- Houston to Winston-Salem
- Phoenix to Winston-Salem
- Philadelphia to Winston-Salem
- San Antonio to Winston-Salem
- San Diego to Winston-Salem
- Dallas to Winston-Salem
- San Jose to Winston-Salem
Learn more about Winston-Salem, NC
- What Is The Cost To Move In Winston-Salem?
- What Is The Cost To Move To North Carolina?
- Best Moving Companies in North Carolina
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!