Moving from Chicago, IL to Arizona: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Chicago, IL to Arizona averages from $1,119 to $7,081 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Arizona to Chicago, IL guide.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Arizona. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
- Best Chicago, IL to Arizona movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Chicago to Arizona.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Chicago, IL to Arizona car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Moving 1,676 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Chicago, IL to Arizona?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,271 - $4,976||$1,094 - $2,696||$1,034 - $1,987|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,170 - $7,081||$1,951 - $3,980||$1,119 - $2,365|
|4+ bedrooms||$5,743 - $10,198||$2,661 - $5,335||$1,410 - $2,892|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,676 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Chicago, IL to Arizona will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Pick from the Best Chicago to Arizona Movers
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire movers from Chicago, IL to Arizona?
To ship furniture from Chicago to Arizona with a mover will cost between $1,271 to $4,976. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home from Chi-Town to AZ will range from $3,170 to $7,081, and a large move from Chicago to Arizona will cost from $5,743 to $10,198.
How much are moving containers like PODS from Chicago, IL to Arizona?
Moving pods from Chicago to Arizona will cost you $1,094 to $2,696 for a small move. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,951 to $3,980. A 4-bedroom move or bigger will cost $2,661 to $5,335.
How much is a moving truck from Chicago, IL to Arizona?
A moving rental truck is generally the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,034 to $1,987. A larger move will cost $1,119 to $2,365, and a 4+ bedroom move from Chicago to Arizona costs from $1,410 to $2,892.
How to ship a car from Chicago, IL to Arizona?
If you're planning a move from Chicago to Arizona and need to ship your car, it's important to find a reputable car shipping company. Look for top-rated companies that specialize in Chicago to Arizona car shipping and compare quotes and services to find the right option for you.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Chicago, IL to Arizona a good idea?
If you’re moving to Arizona from Chicago, IL, you’ll want to compare what life will be like.
Cost of Living: Chicago, IL vs Arizona
|Average rent cost||$1,595||$1,052|
|Average home cost||$306,098||$407,715|
|Average income (per capita)||$65,601||$58,945|
|State Income Tax||4.95%||4.5%|
Arizona sources: World Population Review, US Census Bureau, US BLS, Tax Foundation
- Rent is about 54% less expensive in Arizona than in Chicago.
- Home prices are about 40.8% higher in Arizona than in Chicago.
- The average income is about 10.1% lower in Arizona than in Chicago.
- Arizona has a lower unemployment rate than Chicago by about 96.1%.
- Income taxes are 9.09% lower in Arizona than in Chicago.
How is life different in Chicago, IL from Arizona?
|Political leaning||Democrat 74-24||Democrat 49-49|
Arizona sources: US Census Bureau, 270TOWIN, BestPlaces
- The population of Arizona is approximately 165% greater than the population of Chicago.
- In the last presidential election, Arizona voted Democrat and Chicago voted Democrat.
- The average high in the summertime in Arizona is 99ºF and in Chicago, it’s 84ºF.
- During the coldest part of the year, Arizona reaches the temperature of 34ºF and Chicago gets down to 19ºF.
- You can expect about 12 inches of annual rainfall in Arizona vs 38 inches of rainfall in Chicago.
- In Arizona, it snows about 6 inches annually vs 35 inches of snow in Chicago.
- Arizona has a lower crime rate than Chicago with a crime index of 35.19 vs 28.15.
Comparing the pros of Chicago, IL vs. Arizona:
There are always a lot of reasons to get excited about living somewhere new. These are the best parts of living in Chicago vs Arizona side-by-side.
|Pros of living in Chicago, IL||Pros of living in Arizona|
|Bountiful arts and recreational activities||Ample economic opportunity|
|Delicious food||Pleasant weather|
|Abundant entertainment||Abundant recreational opportunities|
|Intense sports culture||Cultural diversity|
|Ample economic opportunity||No traffic|
Comparing the cons of living in Chicago, IL vs. Arizona:
Not everything is sunshine and rainbows, these are the things to be aware of when leaving Chicago for Arizona.
|Cons of living in Chicago, IL||Cons of living in Arizona|
|High crime rate||Extreme weather|
|Temperamental weather||Barren desert land|
|Terrible traffic||Health hazards|
|High taxes||Problematic people and politics|
Considerations for moving to Arizona
- Weather: Arizona may be on of the top states where your move is least likely to be affected by climate due to the unlikelihood of extremely cold days and natural disasters. .
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: Though Arizona is largely an “unregulated” state, local moving companies are subject to some Arizona Department of Public Safety (AZDPS) and Department of Weights and Measures regulations intended to ensure that they operate safely and ethically. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Arizona moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Arizona does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to . Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Peace of mind is priceless. Our moving checklist will help you know you’ve got everything covered.
Looking for local Chicago movers?
|Get A Quote||
125 S Clark St, Chicago, IL, 60603
|Moovers Chicago Inc||Get A Quote||
5359 N Kedzie Ave, Chicago, IL, 60625
|STI Moving & Storage Inc.||Get A Quote||
7400 Niles Center Rd, Skokie, IL, 60077
Visit our Best Movers in Chicago page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in Arizona?
Whether you’re looking for parks, museums, sports, or even universities, you’ll be happy to find a plethora of these in Arizona.
Museums in Arizona
- Musical Instrument Museum
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
- Commemorative Air Force Museum
- Yuma Territorial Prison State Historic Park
- Jerome State Historic Park
- Arizona Museum of Natural History
- O.K. Corral
- Zelma Basha Salmeri Gallery
- Western Spirit: Scottsdale's Museum of the West
- Mesa Arts Center
Parks in Arizona
- Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Sunset Crater & Wupatki National Monuments
- Petrified Forest National Park
- Walnut Canyon National Monument
- Saguaro National Park
- Grand Canyon National Park
- Dead Horse Ranch
- Slide Rock State Park
- Kartchner Caverns State Park
- Tonto Natural Bridge State Park
- Gilbert Regional Park in Gilbert
- Lake Pleasant Regional Park in Morristown
- McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park in Scottsdale
- Papago Park in Phoenix
- South Mountain Park and Preserve in Phoenix
Sports Teams in Arizona
- Arizona Cardinals (NFL)
- Phoenix Suns Basketball (NBA)
- Arizona Diamondbacks (MLB)
- Arizona Coyotes (NHL)
- Arizona Rattlers (IFL)
- Phoenix Mercury (WNBA)
- Phoenix Rising FC (USL)
- FC Tucson (USL)
- FC Arizona (NPSL)
- Tucson Roadrunners (AHL)
- Tucson Saguaros (Pecos League)
- Arizona Sidewinders (WUL)
Universities in Arizona
- Arizona State Universit
- Northern Arizona University
- University of Arizona
- American Indian College
- Carrington College
- Arizona Christian University
- Art Center College of Design
- Art Institute of Tucson
- Art Institute of Phoenix
- A.T. Still University
- Brookline College
- Brown Mackie College
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- Grand Canyon University
- International Baptist College
- Midwestern University
- Northcentral University
- Ottawa University
- Park University
- University of Phoenix
- Penn Foster College
- Prescott College
- Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine
- Thunderbird School of Global Management
- University of Advancing Technology
- Western Governors University
- Western International University
- Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences
Where to move in Arizona
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Grand Canyon State," these are the best cities in Arizona to move to.
Most popular cities to move to in Arizona:
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Illinois to Arizona
- Chicago to Phoenix
- Chicago to Tucson
- Chicago to Mesa
- Chicago to Chandler
- Los Angeles to Arizona
- New York City to Arizona
- Houston to Arizona
- Philadelphia to Arizona
- San Antonio to Arizona
- San Diego to Arizona
- Dallas to Arizona
- San Jose to Arizona
- Austin to Arizona
- Jacksonville to Arizona