Quick Answer: The cost to move from Chicago, IL to Washington averages from $914 to $5,375 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Washington. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
- Best Chicago, IL to Washington movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Chicago to Washington.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Chicago, IL to Washington car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Moving 686 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Chicago, IL to Washington?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,174 - $3,213||$1,026 - $2,039||$864 - $1,197|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,083 - $5,375||$1,917 - $3,048||$914 - $1,411|
|4+ bedrooms||$3,788 - $8,020||$2,545 - $3,787||$1,153 - $1,667|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 686 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Chicago, IL to Washington will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Chicago, IL to Washington Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How to ship a car from Chicago, IL to Washington
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Chicago to Washington car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
|Montway Auto Transport||Best Overall Value||
|Ship A Car Direct||Best Insurance Coverage||
|Easy Auto Ship||Best for Quick Pick Up||
Is moving from Chicago, IL to Washington a good idea?
Cost of Living: Chicago, IL vs Washington
|Chicago, IL||Washington||% difference|
|Average rent cost||$1,595||$1,258||-21%|
|Average home cost||$306,098||$582,732||90.4%|
|Average income (per capita)||$65,601||$73,775||12.5%|
|State Income Tax||4.95%||0.0%||-100.00%|
How is life different in Chicago, IL from Washington?
|Political leaning||Democrat 74-24||Democrat 58-39|
Considerations for moving to Washington
- Weather: Washington state rarely experiences extreme weather to worry about. Your move should be unaffected by the weather conditions. However, it's always a good idea to check the forecast ahead of time and maybe prepare for a little rain!.
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: Movers operating within Washington DC city limits are subject to regulation by the Utilities and Transportation Commission, which issues operating permits to household goods moving companies. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Washington moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Washington does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to . Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
Where to move in Washington
Now that you've decided to make the move to "The Evergreen State," these are the best cities in Washington to move to.
Most popular cities to move to in Washington:
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Washington
- New York City to Washington
- Chicago to Washington
- Houston to Washington
- Phoenix to Washington
- Philadelphia to Washington
- San Antonio to Washington
- San Diego to Washington
- Dallas to Washington
- San Jose to Washington
Learn more about Washington
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!