Moving from Phoenix, AZ to Austin, TX: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Phoenix, AZ to Austin, TX averages from $742 to $6,163 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Austin, TX. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Austin to Phoenix guide.
- Best Phoenix to Austin movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Phoenix to Austin.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Phoenix to Austin car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 1,005 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Phoenix to Austin?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,211 - $4,930||$866 - $2,112||$687 - $1,304|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,567 - $6,163||$1,555 - $3,093||$742 - $1,550|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,208 - $8,075||$2,097 - $4,070||$932 - $1,885|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,005 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Phoenix to Austin will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Phoenix to Austin Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Phoenix to Austin?
To ship furniture from Phoenix to Austin with a mover will cost between $1,211 to $4,930. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,567 to $6,163, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Phoenix to Austin will cost from $4,208 to $8,075.
How much are moving container companies from Phoenix to Austin?
Moving containers from Phoenix to Austin will cost you $866 to $2,112 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,555 to $3,093. A larger home will cost $2,097 to $4,070.
How much is a moving truck from Phoenix to Austin?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $687 to $1,304. A larger move will cost $742 to $1,550, and a 4+ bedroom move from Phoenix to Austin costs from $932 to $1,885.
How to ship a car from Phoenix to Austin?
If you're moving from Phoenix to Austin and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated Phoenix to Austin car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from Phoenix, AZ to Austin, TX a good idea?
Cost of Living: Phoenix vs Austin
|Average rent cost||$1,300||$1,585|
|Average home value||$396,063||$625,905|
|Average income (per capita)||$59,455||$60,065|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$928||$896|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,262||$3,185|
|State Income Tax||4.5%||0.0%|
- Rent Prices in Austin, TX are 22% higher than in Phoenix, AZ.
- Home Prices in Austin, TX are 58.0% higher than in Phoenix, AZ.
- Income in Austin, TX is 1.0% higher than in Phoenix, AZ.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Austin, TX is 3.4% lower than in Phoenix, AZ.
- Cost of Living for a family in Austin, TX is 2.4% lower than in Phoenix, AZ.
- Unemployment rate in Austin, TX is 46.97% lower than in Phoenix, AZ.
- Sales Taxes in Austin, TX are 4.07% lower than in Phoenix, AZ.
- State Income Taxes in Austin, TX are 100.00% lower than in Phoenix, AZ.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,896.6 in Austin to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Phoenix.
How is life different in Phoenix, AZ to Austin, TX?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||5||6|
|Bike friendliness score||54||56|
- Austin’s population is about 40% less than Phoenix.
- Austin’s public transportation is better than Phoenix with a score of 5 vs 6.
- Austin and Phoenix are similarily walkable.
- Austin is less bike-friendly than Phoenix with a score of 54 vs 56.
- Austin's crime rate is higher than Phoenix with a score of 42.91 compared to 40.25.
- Austin is considered to be safer than Phoenix with a safety index of 59.87 vs 48.11.
- Air Quality in Austin is Good, and in Phoenix it’s Moderate.
Considerations for moving to Austin, TX
- Weather: Austin has mild winters and hot summers, the rainiest months are typically May, June, and October so your move may be affected in these months. .
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: In-state movers operating in the Lone Star State are legally required to be licensed by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TXDMV), which issues 10-digit TXDMV numbers to commercial carriers. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Texas moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Texas does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Austin. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Phoenix Movers
|Get A Quote||
1415 North 7th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ, 85007
|Just-In Time Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
4627 E Ivy St, Mesa, AZ, 85205
|Camelback Moving||Get A Quote||
2330 North 31st Avenue, Phoenix, AZ, 85009
Visit our Best Movers in Phoenix page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Austin, TX
Now that you've decided to make the move to "ATX", these are the best neighborhoods in Austin to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- North University
- Old West Austin
- South Lamar
Best neighborhoods for families:
- West Lake
- Brushy Creek
- Cedar Park
- Shady Hollow
What to do in Austin
Moving to The “ATX”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Texas home.
- Sixth Street
- Barton Springs Pool
- LBJ Presidential Library
- McKinney Falls State Park
- The University of Texas at Austin Campus
- Lady Bird Lake
- Bullock Texas State History Museum
- Zilker Metropolitan Park
- South Congress Avenue
- Texas State Capitol Building
- UMLAUF Sculpture Garden and Museum
- Mount Bonnell
- Blanton Museum of Art
- Mayfield Park and Nature Preserve
- Congress Avenue Bridge and Austin Bats
- Auditorium Shores at Town Lake Metropolitan Park
- Austin Aquarium
- Mexic-Arte Museum
- Austin City Limits Live at The Moody Theater
Get your sports on!Austin is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Round Rock Express
- Austin Spurs
- Texas Stars
- Austin Outlaws
- Austin Huns
- Austin Gilgronis
- Austin Bold FC
- Austin FC
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Austin
- New York City to Austin
- Chicago to Austin
- Philadelphia to Austin
- San Diego to Austin
- San Jose to Austin
- Jacksonville to Austin
- Columbus to Austin
- Indianapolis to Austin
- Charlotte to Austin
Learn more about Austin
- What Is The Cost To Move In Austin?
- What Is The Cost To Move To Texas?
- 10 Best Cities for Remote Workers
- Austin, TX: Surrounding Neighborhood Guide
- What’s the cost of living in Austin, TX?
- Is Moving to Austin Worth It?
- Top 10 Alternative Cities For Young Professionals
- Best Moving Companies in Austin, TX
- Best Moving Companies in Texas