Moving from California to Buffalo, NY: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The average cost to move from California to Buffalo, NY ranges from $1,663 to $7,914. Moving costs will vary based on the amount of stuff being moved, the time of year, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself.
Moving out of state can feel overwhelming. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know for your move to Buffalo, NY. But just in case you’re short on time, here are a few quick resources to get immediate answers.
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Buffalo, NY to California guide.
- How much will your move cost?: Want to narrow down how much your move will cost? Use our moving cost calculator to get more specific price ranges and recommendations on the best companies to use for your move.
- Best California to Buffalo, NY movers: If you plan on hiring a moving company be sure to check out our list of the top movers from California to Buffalo, NY.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- California to Buffalo, NY car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Okay, let’s talk about moving costs.
How much does it cost to move from California to Buffalo, NY?
The table below lays out average cost ranges for different moving services depending on the size of your home.
|Size of the Move||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,326 - $5,545||$1,421 - $3,539||$1,535 - $2,975|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,900 - $7,914||$2,523 - $5,260||$1,663 - $3,542|
|4+ bedrooms||$7,335 - $12,257||$3,477 - $7,164||$2,101 - $4,346|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,656 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from California to Buffalo, NY will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best California to Buffalo, NY Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire movers from California to Buffalo, NY?
To ship furniture from California to Buffalo with a mover will cost between $1,326 to $5,545. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home from Buffalo to NY will range from $3,900 to $7,914, and a large move from California to Buffalo will cost from $7,335 to $12,257.
How much are moving containers like PODS from California to Buffalo, NY?
Moving pods from California to Buffalo will cost you $1,421 to $3,539 for a small move. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,523 to $5,260. A 4-bedroom move or bigger will cost $3,477 to $7,164.
How much is a moving truck from California to Buffalo, NY?
A moving rental truck is generally the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,535 to $2,975. A larger move will cost $1,663 to $3,542, and a 4+ bedroom move from California to Buffalo costs from $2,101 to $4,346.
How to ship a car from California to Buffalo, NY
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable CA to Buffalo, NY car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from California to Buffalo, NY a good idea?
Cost of Living: California vs Buffalo, NY
|Average rent cost||$1,503||$1,050|
|Average home value||$758,360||$214,262|
|Average income (per capita)||$78,672||$61,042|
|State Income Tax||13.3%||10.9%|
Buffalo sources: Zumper, Zillow, Numbeo
- Rent is about 30% less expensive in Buffalo than in California.
- Home prices are about 71.7% lower in Buffalo than in California.
- The average income is about 22.4% lower in Buffalo than in California.
- Buffalo has a higher unemployment rate than California by about 63.8%.
- Income taxes are 18.05% lower in Buffalo than in California.
How is life different in Buffalo from California?
|Political leaning||Democratic 57-42||Democratic 63-34|
Buffalo sources: Wikipedia, AllTransit, Walk Score, NeighborhoodScout, AirNow
- The population of Buffalo is approximately 99% lower than the population of California.
- In the last presidential election, Buffalo voted Democratic and California voted Democratic.
- The average high in the summertime in Buffalo is 81ºF and in California, it’s 87ºF.
- During the coldest part of the year, Buffalo reaches the temperature of 17ºF and California gets down to 59ºF.
- You can expect about 39 inches of annual rainfall in Buffalo vs 22 inches of rainfall in California.
- In Buffalo, it snows about 85 inches annually vs 7 inches of snow in California.
- Buffalo has a lower crime rate than California with a crime index of 25.7 vs 8.0.
Considerations for moving to Buffalo, NY
- Weather: Best months to move to Buffalo are August, July and June are the most pleasant months in Buffalo, while January and December are the least comfortable months due to extreme winter weather. .
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: One common and important example of something that should be handled ahead of time is reserving the building's elevator and finding out their rules for using the elevator.
- Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles, find out ahead of time with your new local rules.
- State Licensing: New York is one of the busiest moving states in the country, and local and intrastate moving companies operating within the Empire State are regulated by the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT). Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a New York moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: New York does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to New York. Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Peace of mind is priceless. Our moving checklist will help you know you’ve got everything covered.
Looking for local California movers?
|Meathead Movers||Get A Quote||
4744 North El Capitan Avenue, Fresno, CA, 93722
|Courtesy Movers||Get A Quote||
3515 North Sabre Drive, Fresno, CA, 93727
|Gentle Giant Moving Company||Get A Quote||
361 Swift Ave, South San Francisco, CA, 94080
Visit our Best Movers in California page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Need a local Buffalo mover?
|Wayfinder Moving Services||Get A Quote||
75 Comet Avenue, Buffalo, NY, 14216
|Diamond Moving & Storage, Inc.||Get A Quote||
1440 Main Street, Buffalo, NY, 14209
|Two Men and a Truck||Get A Quote||
364 Nagel Drive, Cheektowaga, NY, 14225
Visit our Best Movers in Buffalo page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in Buffalo?
Whether you’re looking for parks, museums, sports, or even universities, you’ll be happy to find a plethora of these in Buffalo.
Museums in Buffalo
- Buffalo & Erie County Naval and Military Park
- Pierce-Arrow Museum
- Albright-Knox Art Gallery
- Buffalo Museum of Science
- Burchfield Penney Art Center
- The Buffalo History Museum
- Iron Island Museum
- Explore & More - The Ralph C. Wilson, JR. Children's Museum
- Western New York Book Arts Center
- Buffalo Religious Arts Center
Parks in Buffalo
- Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens
- The Buffalo Zoo
- Delaware Park
- Erie Basin Marina
- Tifft Nature Preserve
- Larkin Square
- Lafayette Square
- Cazenovia Park
- NFTA Small Boat Harbor Marina
Sports Teams in Buffalo
- Buffalo Bandits
- Buffalo Beauts
- Buffalo Bills (AAFC)
- Buffalo Bisons (AHL)
- Buffalo Bisons (minor league)
- Canisius Golden Griffins
- Columbus Destroyers
Universities in Buffalo
- Bryant and Stratton College Buffalo
- Erie Community College
- Canisius College
- Medaille College
- SUNY College at Buffalo
- Trocaire College
- Villa Maria College
- University at Buffalo
Where to move to in Buffalo, NY?
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Queen City," these are the best neighborhoods in Buffalo to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Delaware District
- Lower West Side
- Elmwood Strip
- West Side
- North Park
- First Ward
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Clarence Center
- Harris Hill
- East Aurora
- Grandyle Village
- Billington Heights
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Buffalo
- Chicago to Buffalo
- Houston to Buffalo
- Phoenix to Buffalo
- Philadelphia to Buffalo
- San Antonio to Buffalo
- San Diego to Buffalo
- Dallas to Buffalo
- San Jose to Buffalo
- Austin to Buffalo
Learn more about Buffalo, NY
- What Is The Cost To Move In Buffalo?
- What Is The Cost To Move To New York?
- Best Moving Companies in New York
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!