Moving from Chicago, IL to Huntsville, AL: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Chicago, IL to Huntsville, AL averages from $505 to $5,493 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Huntsville, AL. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Huntsville to Chicago guide.
- Best Chicago to Huntsville movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Chicago to Huntsville.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Chicago to Huntsville car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 588 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Chicago to Huntsville?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,180 - $3,471||$723 - $1,744||$468 - $873|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,156 - $5,493||$1,305 - $2,535||$505 - $1,036|
|4+ bedrooms||$3,851 - $8,028||$1,741 - $3,273||$631 - $1,251|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 588 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Chicago to Huntsville will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Chicago to Huntsville Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Chicago to Huntsville?
To ship furniture from Chicago to Huntsville with a mover will cost between $1,180 to $3,471. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,156 to $5,493, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Chicago to Huntsville will cost from $3,851 to $8,028.
How much are moving container companies from Chicago to Huntsville?
Moving containers from Chicago to Huntsville will cost you $723 to $1,744 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,305 to $2,535. A larger home will cost $1,741 to $3,273.
How much is a moving truck from Chicago to Huntsville?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $468 to $873. A larger move will cost $505 to $1,036, and a 4+ bedroom move from Chicago to Huntsville costs from $631 to $1,251.
How to ship a car from Chicago to Huntsville?
If you're moving from Chicago to Huntsville and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated Chicago to Huntsville car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from Chicago, IL to Huntsville, AL a good idea?
Cost of Living: Chicago vs Huntsville
|Average rent cost||$1,595||$795|
|Average home value||$306,098||$273,648|
|Average income (per capita)||$65,601||$55,305|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,001||$1,940|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,584||$3,882|
|State Income Tax||4.95%||5.0%|
- Rent Prices in Huntsville, AL are 50% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Home Prices in Huntsville, AL are 10.6% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Income in Huntsville, AL is 15.7% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Huntsville, AL is 93.8% higher than in Chicago, IL.
- Cost of Living for a family in Huntsville, AL is 8.3% higher than in Chicago, IL.
- Unemployment rate in Huntsville, AL is 66.67% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- Sales Taxes in Huntsville, AL are 12.20% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- State Income Taxes in Huntsville, AL are 1.01% higher than in Chicago, IL.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $185.8 in Huntsville to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Chicago.
How is life different in Chicago, IL to Huntsville, AL?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||2||9|
|Bike friendliness score||40||72|
- Huntsville’s population is about 92% less than Chicago.
- Huntsville’s public transportation is better than Chicago with a score of 2 vs 9.
- Huntsville is less walkable than Chicago with a score of 24 vs 77.
- Huntsville is less bike-friendly than Chicago with a score of 40 vs 72.
- Huntsville's crime rate is higher than Chicago with a score of 42.48 compared to 35.19.
- Huntsville is considered to be safer than Chicago with a safety index of 59.25 vs 33.87.
- Air Quality in Huntsville is Good, and in Chicago it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Huntsville, AL
- Weather: Huntsville experiences hot, humid summers and generally mild winters. Huntsville is located in tornado alley..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: To ensure that in-state movers operate safely and reliably, moving companies in Alabama must have a registration number issued by the Alabama Public Service Commission (APSC). Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Alabama moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Alabama does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Huntsville. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Movers assume liability at 60 cents (or less) per-pound per item. Thus, a lightweight five-pound item valued at $500 only pays out $3, if it's lost or damaged. Some moving companies offer expanded valuations, such as declared value or lump sum value protection, which offers a step up from released value protection. You may inquire about these options with your preferred moving company.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Chicago Movers
|Get A Quote||
125 S Clark St, Chicago, IL, 60603
|Moovers Chicago Inc||Get A Quote||
5359 N Kedzie Ave, Chicago, IL, 60625
|STI Moving & Storage Inc.||Get A Quote||
7400 Niles Center Rd, Skokie, IL, 60077
Visit our Best Movers in Chicago page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in Huntsville
Moving to The “The Rocket City”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Alabama home.
- U.S. Space and Rocket Center
- Huntsville Botanical Garden
- Harmony Park Safari
- U.S. Veterans Memorial Museum
- Alabama Constitution Village
Get your sports on!Huntsville is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Huntsville Havoc (SPHL)
- North Alabama SC Gravity (WPSL)
- Rocket City Roller Derby (WFTDA)
- Rocket City Trash Pandas (AA Minow League)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Huntsville
- New York City to Huntsville
- Houston to Huntsville
- Phoenix to Huntsville
- Philadelphia to Huntsville
- San Antonio to Huntsville
- San Diego to Huntsville
- Dallas to Huntsville
- San Jose to Huntsville
- Austin to Huntsville