Moving from Olympia, WA to Houston, TX: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Olympia, WA to Houston, TX averages from $1,495 to $8,868 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Houston, TX. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Houston to Olympia guide.
- Best Olympia to Houston movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Olympia to Houston.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Olympia to Houston car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 2,357 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Olympia to Houston?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,502 - $6,133||$1,321 - $3,280||$1,381 - $2,671|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$4,222 - $8,868||$2,347 - $4,866||$1,495 - $3,180|
|4+ bedrooms||$7,933 - $13,715||$3,227 - $6,601||$1,889 - $3,899|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,357 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Olympia to Houston will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Olympia to Houston Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Olympia to Houston?
To ship furniture from Olympia to Houston with a mover will cost between $1,502 to $6,133. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $4,222 to $8,868, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Olympia to Houston will cost from $7,933 to $13,715.
How much are moving container companies from Olympia to Houston?
Moving containers from Olympia to Houston will cost you $1,321 to $3,280 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,347 to $4,866. A larger home will cost $3,227 to $6,601.
How much is a moving truck from Olympia to Houston?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,381 to $2,671. A larger move will cost $1,495 to $3,180, and a 4+ bedroom move from Olympia to Houston costs from $1,889 to $3,899.
How to ship a car from Olympia to Houston?
If you're moving from Olympia to Houston and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated Olympia to Houston car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from Olympia, WA to Houston, TX a good idea?
Cost of Living: Olympia vs Houston
|Average rent cost||$1,550||$1,242|
|Average home value||$535,480||$243,875|
|Average income (per capita)||$63,586||$62,076|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$842||$838|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$2,935||$2,976|
|State Income Tax||0.0%||0.0%|
- Rent Prices in Houston, TX are 20% lower than in Olympia, WA.
- Home Prices in Houston, TX are 54.5% lower than in Olympia, WA.
- Income in Houston, TX is 2.4% lower than in Olympia, WA.
- Cost of Living for a single person is the same in Houston, TX and Olympia, WA.
- Cost of Living for a family in Houston, TX is 1.4% higher than in Olympia, WA.
- Unemployment rate in Houston, TX is 14.29% lower than in Olympia, WA.
- Sales Taxes in Houston, TX are 12.23% lower than in Olympia, WA.
- State Income Taxes are the same in Houston, TX and Olympia, WA.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,985.7 in Houston to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Olympia.
How is life different in Olympia, WA to Houston, TX?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||5||5|
|Bike friendliness score||49||59|
- Houston’s population is about 4,045% greater than Olympia.
- Houston’s public transportation has a similar score to Olympia.
- Houston is more walkable than Olympia with a score of 47 vs 39.
- Houston is less bike-friendly than Olympia with a score of 49 vs 59.
- Houston's crime rate is higher than Olympia with a score of 55.87 compared to 10.0.
- Houston is considered to be less safe than Olympia with a score of 36.23 vs 70.61.
- Air Quality in Houston is Good, and in Olympia it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Houston, TX
- Weather: Houston's weather is moderate to hot year-round but hurricane season in the late summer months may affect your move..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: In-state movers operating in the Lone Star State are legally required to be licensed by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TXDMV), which issues 10-digit TXDMV numbers to commercial carriers. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Texas moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Texas does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Houston. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Olympia Movers
|Olympic Moving & Storage Inc.||Get A Quote||
935 Poplar Street Southeast, Olympia, WA, 98501
|Spaeth Transfer Inc||Get A Quote||
1229 Hollis St, Bremerton, WA, 98310
|North Coast Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
13045 SE 32nd St, Bellevue, WA, 98005
Visit our Best Movers in Olympia page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Houston, TX
Now that you've decided to make the move to "HOU", these are the best neighborhoods in Houston to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Greenway/Upper Kirby
- Museum District
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Clear Lake City
- Sugar Land
What to do in Houston
Moving to The “HOU”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Texas home.
- The Houston Museum of Natural Science
- Minute Maid Park
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Children's Museum Houston
- Houston Zoo
- Space Center Houston
- The Galleria
- Cockrell Butterfly Center
- Toyota Center
- Rodeo Houston or Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
- Water Wall
- NRG Stadium
- Discovery Green
- National Museum of Funeral History
Get your sports on!Houston is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Houston Texans (NFL)
- Houston Astros (MLB
- Houston Dash (NWSL)
- Houston Dynamo FC (MLS)
- Houston Rockets (NBA)
- Houston SaberCats (MLR)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Houston
- New York City to Houston
- Chicago to Houston
- Phoenix to Houston
- Philadelphia to Houston
- San Diego to Houston
- San Jose to Houston
- Jacksonville to Houston
- Columbus to Houston
- Indianapolis to Houston