How Much Will it Cost you to Move to Texas?
Texas. The land of ample economic opportunity, favorable climate, delicious barbecue, and low taxes . It’s very easy to see why you’d want to move there.
Surely if you’re looking to move to Texas, you know all of this but… How much does it cost to move to Texas?
That’s a far less known fact that you need to know if you’re moving to Texas.
Fortunately, you’re here. We’re going to break down how much it generally costs to move to Texas.
Of course, it’s crucial to get a personalized quote for your move. For that, take a look at our moving cost calculator.
So… How Much Does it Cost to Move to Texas?
The following prices are what you might expect to pay a professional moving company to move your items to Texas.
|Home Size||Avg. Total Cost||Cost/hour||# of Movers||# Hours|
|Studio||$57||$19||2 movers||3 hours|
|1 Bedroom||$76||$19||2 movers||4 hours|
|2 Bedroom||$119||$27||3 movers||5 hours|
|3 Bedroom||$265||$38||4 movers||8 hours|
|4 Bedroom||$302||$38||4 movers||9 hours|
|5+ Bedroom||$461||$53||5 movers||10 hours|
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Factors for your move
Before we get into the actual figures, it’s important that we touch on the main contributing factors that are going to affect the cost of your move to Texas.
- Size of your move: The more things you move, the more the move is going to cost. You’ll want to make sure that you’re only bringing with you those things that you truly want to have in Texas.
- Distance of the move: How far you are moving is another thing that is going to affect the cost of the relocation. The further the move, the higher the cost.
- Type of move: You have four main options for your move. A full-service moving company, renting a moving truck, getting a moving container, and hiring a freight trailer. We will break these down further in the article.
- Add-on services: Generally speaking, the more you do yourself the less the move is going to cost you. However, it can be nice to have professionals do your packing and unpacking for you. That’s going to cost a little extra.
- Time of the year: Moving in the summer can cost from 20-30% more! Relocating when moving companies have less demand will certainly bring your costs down.
How much does it cost to live in Texas?
- The cost index in Texas is 91. This means it’s about 9% less expensive than the national average.
- The average rent in Texas for a one-bedroom apartment is $1,045 which is 21.19% lower than the national average.
- The average home value in Texas is $276,048 which is about 22.46% less expensive than the national average.
- The average income in Texas is $61,874 which is about 4.80% lower than the national average.
What are your moving options?
Hire a Professional Moving Company
Hiring a professional mover to move to Texas will cost the most money but will require the least amount of work.
Below is a list of the best companies to hire for your move.
Other Moving to Texas options
- Rent a Moving Truck: This is your typical rental from a company like U-Haul. This will require the most amount of work but is the cheapest option.
- Rent a Moving Container: The pricing is a little more than a rental truck but less than a professional mover. This is a great option if you need storage with your move.
- Use Freight Shipping: An option for cross-country moves.
How do I ship a car to Texas?
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move. Here are the top shippers:
|Easy Auto Ship||
|Ship A Car Direct||
|Sherpa Auto Transport||
Things to Know about your move
Although cost is certainly important, there are other factors that you should consider about your move.
- State Licensing: In-state movers operating in the Lone Star State are legally required to be licensed by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TXDMV), which issues 10-digit TXDMV numbers to commercial carriers.
- Mover's Insurance: Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Weather: Although winters are mild, hurricane season during the summer months may affect your move.
What is the cheapest way to move to Texas?
Consider the particularities of your move. For some people, it’s cheaper to rent a moving container, but for others, it makes more sense to hire a professional moving company. To get the best idea of which option is best for you, we have a moving cost calculator that will give you a free, personalized, and instant quote.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!