Moving from California to Washington: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The average cost to move from California to Washington ranges from $799 to $6,799. Moving costs will vary based on the size of your move, the time of year, and whether you hire a company or move yourself. To get a more accurate estimate of what your move will cost, use our moving cost calculator.
Moving out of state can feel overwhelming. We know! Every month we help thousands of people move and after nine years in business, we’ve seen it all.
In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know for your move to Washington. If you’re short on time, here are a few quick resources to get immediate answers.
- Moving Cost Calculator: Want to narrow down how much your move will cost? Use our moving cost calculator to get more specific price ranges and recommendations on the best companies to use for your move.
- Best California to Washington movers: If you plan on hiring a moving company, you won't regret checking out our list of the top movers from California to Washington.
- Best Car Shipping Companies: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
How much does it cost to move from California to Washington?
The table below lays out average cost ranges for different moving services depending on the size of your home.
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,350 - $5,318||$950 - $2,312||$739 - $1,400|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,815 - $6,799||$1,704 - $3,384||$799 - $1,664|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,656 - $9,019||$2,296 - $4,444||$1,001 - $2,024|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 953 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from California to Washington will depend on:
- Move size: Moving a large home costs more than moving a studio apartment.
- Time of year: The peak moving season is in the summer, this makes prices higher.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: You may save money with a DIY move, but you also will have to do all the work.
Who Are The Best California to Washington Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal. We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best California to Washington moving companies.
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Washington to California guide.
How much does it cost to hire movers from California to Washington?
To ship furniture from California to Washington with a mover will cost between $1,350 to $5,318. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home from CA to WA will range from $2,815 to $6,799, and a large move from California to Washington will cost from $4,656 to $9,019.
How much are moving containers like PODS from California to Washington?
Moving pods from California to Washington will cost you $950 to $2,312 for a small move. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,704 to $3,384. A 4-bedroom move or bigger will cost $2,296 to $4,444.
How much is a moving truck from California to Washington?
A moving rental truck is generally the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $739 to $1,400. A larger move will cost $799 to $1,664, and a 4+ bedroom move from California to Washington costs from $1,001 to $2,024.
How to ship a car from California to Washington?
If you're moving from California to Washington and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated California to Washington car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from California to Washington a good idea?
If you’re moving to Washington from California, you’ll want to compare what life will be like.
Cost of Living: California vs Washington
|Average rent cost||$1,503||$1,258|
|Average home cost||$758,360||$582,732|
|Average income (per capita)||$78,672||$73,775|
|Cost of Living Index||100||100|
|Average Sales Tax||8.68%||9.23%|
|State Income Tax||13.3%||0.0%|
- Rent is about 16% less expensive in Washington than in California.
- Home prices are about 23.2% lower in Washington than in California.
- The average income is about 6.2% lower in Washington than in California.
- Cost of living is about the same in Washington and California.
- Washington has a lower unemployment rate than California by about 22.4%.
- Sales taxes are 6.34% higher in Washington than in California.
- Income taxes are 100.00% lower in Washington than in California.
How is life different in Washington from California?
|Political leaning||Democrat 58-39||Democratic 63-34|
- The population of Washington is approximately 80% lower than the population of California.
- In the last presidential election, Washington voted Democrat and California voted Democratic.
- The average high in the summertime in Washington is 79ºF and in California, it’s 87ºF.
- During the coldest part of the year, Washington reaches the temperature of 29ºF and California gets down to 59ºF.
- You can expect about 38 inches of annual rainfall in Washington vs 22 inches of rainfall in California.
- In Washington, it snows about 18 inches annually vs 7 inches of snow in California.
- Washington has a higher crime rate than California with a crime index of 30.22 vs 25.7.
Comparing the pros of California vs. Washington:
There are always a lot of reasons to get excited about living somewhere new. These are the best parts of living in California vs Washington side-by-side.
|Pros of living in California||Pros of living in Washington|
|Ample economic opportunity||Beautiful landscapes|
|Pleasant weather||Ample economic opportunity|
|Abundant recreational options||High quality of life|
|High quality of life||Bountiful recreational opportunities|
|Fresh and healthy foods||Delicious seafood|
Comparing the cons of living in California vs. Washington:
Not everything is sunshine and rainbows, these are the things to be aware of when leaving California for Washington.
|Cons of living in California||Cons of living in Washington|
|High cost of living||Constant rain|
|Heavy tax burdens||Bad traffic|
|Natural disasters||High cost of living|
|Terrible traffic||High crime rate|
|Strange laws||Natural disasters|
Considerations for moving to Washington
- Weather: Washington state rarely experiences extreme weather to worry about. Your move should be unaffected by the weather conditions. However, it's always a good idea to check the forecast ahead of time and maybe prepare for a little rain!
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: One common and important example of something that should be handled ahead of time is reserving the building's elevator and finding out their rules for using the elevator.
- Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles, find out ahead of time with your new local rules.
- State Licensing: Movers operating within Washington DC city limits are subject to regulation by the Utilities and Transportation Commission, which issues operating permits to household goods moving companies. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Washington moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Washington does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Washington. Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Peace of mind is priceless. Our moving checklist will help you know you’ve got everything covered.
Looking for local California movers?
|Meathead Movers||Get A Quote||
4744 North El Capitan Avenue, Fresno, CA, 93722
|Courtesy Movers||Get A Quote||
3515 North Sabre Drive, Fresno, CA, 93727
|Grace Moving Company||Get A Quote||
800 Janopaul Lane, Modesto, CA, 95351
Visit our Best Movers in California page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to move to in Washington
Now that you've decided to make the move to "The Evergreen State," these are the best cities in Washington to move to.
Most popular cities to move to in Washington:
Things to do in Washington
While you’re in Washington, you won’t be bored. These are some of the coolest places to visit in your new home state.
- Olympic National Park
- Mount Rainier National Park
- The Space Needle and Seattle Center
- Pike Place Market
- The Museum of Flight
- Snoqualmie Falls
- Lake Chelan
- Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument
- North Cascades National Park
- San Juan Islands
- Museum of Glass
- Washington State Capitol Building
- Puget Sound
- Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest
- Spokane Riverfront Park
- Deception Pass State Park
- Washington State Ferries
- Port Angeles
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- California to Seattle
- California to Spokane
- Los Angeles to Washington
- San Diego to Washington
- San Jose to Washington
- San Francisco to Washington
- Fresno to Washington
- Los Angeles to Seattle
- Los Angeles to Spokane
- San Diego to Seattle
- San Diego to Spokane
- San Jose to Seattle
- San Jose to Spokane
- San Francisco to Seattle
- San Francisco to Spokane