Moving from Chicago, IL to Los Angeles, CA: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Chicago, IL to Los Angeles, CA averages from $1,301 to $7,523 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Los Angeles, CA. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Los Angeles to Chicago guide.
- Best Chicago to Los Angeles movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Chicago to Los Angeles.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Chicago to Los Angeles car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 2,015 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Chicago to Los Angeles?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,300 - $4,998||$1,203 - $2,977||$1,201 - $2,316|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,460 - $7,523||$2,141 - $4,406||$1,301 - $2,757|
|4+ bedrooms||$6,481 - $11,220||$2,933 - $5,945||$1,641 - $3,376|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,015 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Chicago to Los Angeles will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Chicago to Los Angeles Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Chicago to Los Angeles?
To ship furniture from Chicago to Los Angeles with a mover will cost between $1,300 to $4,998. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $3,460 to $7,523, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Chicago to Los Angeles will cost from $6,481 to $11,220.
How much are moving container companies from Chicago to Los Angeles?
Moving containers from Chicago to Los Angeles will cost you $1,203 to $2,977 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,141 to $4,406. A larger home will cost $2,933 to $5,945.
How much is a moving truck from Chicago to Los Angeles?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,201 to $2,316. A larger move will cost $1,301 to $2,757, and a 4+ bedroom move from Chicago to Los Angeles costs from $1,641 to $3,376.
How to ship a car from Chicago to Los Angeles?
If you're moving from Chicago to Los Angeles and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated Chicago to Los Angeles car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from Chicago, IL to Los Angeles, CA a good idea?
Cost of Living: Chicago vs Los Angeles
|Average rent cost||$1,595||$2,306|
|Average home value||$306,098||$2,110,111|
|Average income (per capita)||$65,601||$68,632|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,001||$1,060|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,584||$3,843|
|State Income Tax||4.95%||13.3%|
- Rent Prices in Los Angeles, CA are 45% higher than in Chicago, IL.
- Home Prices in Los Angeles, CA are 589.4% higher than in Chicago, IL.
- Income in Los Angeles, CA is 4.6% higher than in Chicago, IL.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Los Angeles, CA is 5.9% higher than in Chicago, IL.
- Cost of Living for a family in Los Angeles, CA is 7.2% higher than in Chicago, IL.
- Unemployment rate in Los Angeles, CA is 22.22% higher than in Chicago, IL.
- Sales Taxes in Los Angeles, CA are 7.32% lower than in Chicago, IL.
- State Income Taxes in Los Angeles, CA are 168.69% higher than in Chicago, IL.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,823.2 in Los Angeles to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Chicago.
How is life different in Chicago, IL to Los Angeles, CA?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||8||9|
|Bike friendliness score||59||72|
- Los Angeles’s population is about 256% greater than Chicago.
- Los Angeles’s public transportation is better than Chicago with a score of 8 vs 9.
- Los Angeles is less walkable than Chicago with a score of 69 vs 77.
- Los Angeles is less bike-friendly than Chicago with a score of 59 vs 72.
- Los Angeles's crime rate is lower than Chicago with a score of 29.96 compared to 35.19.
- Los Angeles is considered to be safer than Chicago with a safety index of 49.78 vs 33.87.
- Air Quality in Los Angeles is Moderate, and in Chicago it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Los Angeles, CA
- Weather: The temperature in Los Angeles is known to be very comfortable. Los Angeles is subject to a phenomenon typical of a microclimate, causing variations in temperature. So be sure to check your weather report before your move..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: When contacting a local moving company for an estimate in California, make sure each has a “T Number” issued by the California Public Utilities Commission (CAPUC). Moving companies with valid T Numbers have met state requirements for insurance, safety, and financial stability and have passed criminal clearance checks conducted by the California Department of Justice. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a California moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: California does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Los Angeles. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Chicago Movers
|Get A Quote||
125 S Clark St, Chicago, IL, 60603
|Moovers Chicago Inc||Get A Quote||
5359 N Kedzie Ave, Chicago, IL, 60625
|STI Moving & Storage Inc.||Get A Quote||
7400 Niles Center Rd, Skokie, IL, 60077
Visit our Best Movers in Chicago page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Los Angeles, CA
Now that you've decided to make the move to "City of Angels", these are the best neighborhoods in Los Angeles to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Echo Park
- Los Feliz
- Playa Del Rey
- Silver Lake
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Eagle Rock
- Mar Vista
- Playa Vista
- Studio City
What to do in Los Angeles
Moving to The “City of Angels”? These are some of the best things to do in your new California home.
- Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Rodeo Drive
- Universal Studios Hollywood
- Santa Monica Pier
- Olvera Street
- Getty Center
- Griffith Park and Observatory
- Dodger Stadium
- Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
- Museum of Death
- Venice Beach
- Greystone Mansion
- California Science Center
- Angeles National Forest
- La Brea Tar Pits
- Paramount Pictures Studios
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art: LACMA
- LA Arts District
- Grand Central Market
- The Broad
- Warner Bros. Studio Tour
- The Original Farmers Market
- Thai Town
- TCL Chinese Theater
- Runyon Canyon
- Battleship USS Iowa Museum
- Hollywood Forever Cemetery
- Abbot Kinney Boulevard
- Fisherman’s Village
- Descanso Gardens
- Huntington Library
- Petersen Automotive Museum
- Little Tokyo
- Sunset Strip
Get your sports on!Los Angeles is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Los Angeles Clippers (NBA)
- Los Angeles Dodgers (MLB)
- Los Angeles FC (MLS)
- Los Angeles Kings (NHL)
- Los Angeles Lakers (NBA)
- Los Angeles Rams (NFL)
- Los Angeles Sparks (WNBA)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- New York City to Los Angeles
- Houston to Los Angeles
- Phoenix to Los Angeles
- Philadelphia to Los Angeles
- San Antonio to Los Angeles
- Dallas to Los Angeles
- Austin to Los Angeles
- Jacksonville to Los Angeles
- Fort Worth to Los Angeles
- Columbus to Los Angeles