Quick Answer: The average cost to ship a car the 2083 miles from Illinois to California ranges from $1,317 to $2,058 and takes 4-12 days.
Shipping a car the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our California to Illinois car shipping guide.
The average cost to ship a car from Illinois to California
Because the distance between Illinois to California is about 2083 miles, it’ll take from 4 to 12 days to complete your car shipment.
Cost to ship a car from Chicago, IL to California
- Chicago to Los Angeles: $1,317 to $2,058
- Chicago to San Diego: $1,317 to $2,058
- Chicago to San Jose: $1,331 to $2,092
- Chicago to San Francisco: $1,331 to $2,092
- Chicago to Fresno: $1,331 to $2,092
Cost to ship a car from Rockford, IL to California
- Rockford to Los Angeles: $1,298 to $1,971
- Rockford to San Diego: $1,317 to $2,058
- Rockford to San Jose: $1,331 to $2,092
- Rockford to San Francisco: $1,317 to $2,058
- Rockford to Fresno: $1,317 to $2,058
Cost to ship a car from Springfield, IL to California
- Springfield to Los Angeles: $1,298 to $1,971
- Springfield to San Diego: $1,298 to $1,971
- Springfield to San Jose: $1,317 to $2,058
- Springfield to San Francisco: $1,317 to $2,058
- Springfield to Fresno: $1,317 to $2,058
Cost to ship a car from Peoria, IL to California
- Peoria to Los Angeles: $1,298 to $1,971
- Peoria to San Diego: $1,298 to $1,971
- Peoria to San Jose: $1,317 to $2,058
- Peoria to San Francisco: $1,317 to $2,058
- Peoria to Fresno: $1,317 to $2,058
Cost to ship a car from Round Lake Beach, IL to California
- Round Lake Beach to Los Angeles: $1,317 to $2,058
- Round Lake Beach to San Diego: $1,317 to $2,058
- Round Lake Beach to San Jose: $1,331 to $2,092
- Round Lake Beach to San Francisco: $1,331 to $2,092
- Round Lake Beach to Fresno: $1,331 to $2,092
Shipping an SUV or Truck from Illinois to California
Since vehicles such as SUV, trucks, and vans are larger and heavier, it’s a bit more expensive to ship them than a sedan. How much more?
If you’re shipping a larger vehicle from Illinois to California you should expect to pay between $1,646 and $2,573.
Factors that affect the price of shipping a car from Illinois to California
- Open Carrier or Enclosed Trailer – Most new cars from ports and factories are moved on open auto carriers, while race cars, vintage collector’s cars, and high-dollar luxury cars get enclosed transport. If you’re not sure, check out our guide comparing open vs enclosed car shipping.
- Time of the year – Due to demand, prices to ship your car from Illinois to California tend to be a little higher in the summer.
- Size, Weight, and Type of Vehicle – The larger and heavier your vehicle, the more shipping your car to California will cost.
- Delivery Expectations – Because it’ll make their job easier, your auto shipper may give you a pricing discount if you’re flexible on delivery dates. That being said, getting your car from Illinois to California should take between 4 and 12 days.
- Pick up and Drop-Off Options – Instead of door-to-door service, consider taking your vehicle to the nearest company terminal in Illinois and having it delivered to the one closest to your new home in California. It’s more work for you, but it could save you a bundle.
Resources for Shipping a Car from Illinois to California
The following resources can help with you shipping your car from Illinois to California:
- The best car shipping companies: Don’t run the risk of using an unreliable company to transport your car from Illinois to California. Using the right company can save you many headaches.
- Best Illinois to California movers: Moving too? We’ve handpicked the best moving companies between Illinois and California.
- How much do movers cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate of moving costs.
- Illinois to California movers & costs: Everything you should know about moving from Illinois to California.
Stick around for more details on costs, tips, and Illinois car shippers you should use.
The best Illinois to California car shippers
A good car shipping company should cover the basics. These are the things to look out for in a quality transport company:
- Insurance: Make sure the insurance covers both the company and the hauler the company contracts with to ship the car.
- Experience: Look for a company that has multiple years of experience and a good track record.
- Shipping options: Good car shipping companies will offer open and closed transport, expedited delivery, shipment tracking, and more.
- Added Perks: Damage coverage, no initial deposits, rental car assistance, free car wash, and guaranteed pricing are some additional options great car shippers offer.
How car shipping from Illinois to California works
- After you’ve received your quote, book your vehicle transport from Illinois to California.
- Once booked, you’ll schedule your vehicle to be picked up in Illinois where it will be loaded onto the carrier.
- Your vehicle will be safely unloaded from the carrier in California on your delivery date.
What else should you know about shipping a car from Illinois to California?
- Car Insurance requirements: California’s minimum car insurance requirement is $15,000 for injury to one person, $30,000 per accident, and $5,000 for property damage in the event of an accident involving another driver.
- Vehicle Inspection: California requires an annual safety inspection to ensure that all vehicles used on public roads are in good condition and safe to operate. The inspection can be carried out at any California Department of Transportation approved service station.
- Driver’s License: If you move to California and become a resident, you are required to obtain a California driver's license within 10 days.
- Additional Taxes: You are required to pay taxes on a car purchased in another state if you used it for less than 12 months outside of California before bringing it into the state.
Alternative ways to ship your car from Illinois to California
- Drive it yourself: Straightforward but not always an option and it will put about 2083 miles on your car going from Illinois to California. If you’re not sure, here are the pros and cons of driving your car vs shipping it.
- Ship it with your movers: If you hire a moving company, they also work with reputable car shippers. Otherwise, there may be the option of even shipping your car with your household belongings!
- Hire a driver: Hire someone to drive the car from Illinois to California for you. It’s an option…
- Ship by train: If this is an option for you, it’s an affordable and secure way of shipping your vehicle. Shipping a car by train is actually the cheapest way to ship your car!
Learn more with our car shipping checklist
Shipping Your Car from Illinois to California FAQs
Does someone have to be present when picking up my car in Illinois and when dropping off my car in California?
Most companies will require someone that is at least 18-years-old to be present when picking up your car in Illinois and when dropping it off in California.
Do you need car insurance when shipping your car from Illinois to California?
If you’re not driving the vehicle from Illinois to California, it’s not required to have typical car insurance. Your car hauler should have adequate insurance if an accident happened on the drive to California, which you should verify before loading your car in Illinois.
How long does it take to ship a car from Illinois to California?
Car shipping companies can travel about 500 miles per day. With the trip from Illinois to California being about 2083 miles, that’s as fast as about 5 days. But most car transporting companies will take 4-12 days to go from Illinois to California.