Quick Answer: The average cost to ship a car the 2083 miles from California to Illinois ranges from $1,490 to $2,328 and takes 4-12 days.
Shipping a car the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Illinois to California car shipping guide.
The average cost to ship a car from California to Illinois
Because the distance between California to Illinois is about 2083 miles, it’ll take from 4 to 12 days to complete your car shipment.
Cost to ship a car from Los Angeles, CA to Illinois
- Los Angeles to Chicago: $1,490 to $2,328
- Los Angeles to Rockford: $1,468 to $2,229
- Los Angeles to Springfield: $1,468 to $2,229
- Los Angeles to Peoria: $1,468 to $2,229
- Los Angeles to Round Lake Beach: $1,490 to $2,328
Cost to ship a car from San Diego, CA to Illinois
- San Diego to Chicago: $1,490 to $2,328
- San Diego to Rockford: $1,490 to $2,328
- San Diego to Springfield: $1,468 to $2,229
- San Diego to Peoria: $1,490 to $2,328
- San Diego to Round Lake Beach: $1,490 to $2,328
Cost to ship a car from San Jose, CA to Illinois
- San Jose to Chicago: $1,505 to $2,366
- San Jose to Rockford: $1,505 to $2,366
- San Jose to Springfield: $1,490 to $2,328
- San Jose to Peoria: $1,490 to $2,328
- San Jose to Round Lake Beach: $1,505 to $2,366
Cost to ship a car from San Francisco, CA to Illinois
- San Francisco to Chicago: $1,505 to $2,366
- San Francisco to Rockford: $1,490 to $2,328
- San Francisco to Springfield: $1,490 to $2,328
- San Francisco to Peoria: $1,490 to $2,328
- San Francisco to Round Lake Beach: $1,505 to $2,366
Cost to ship a car from Fresno, CA to Illinois
- Fresno to Chicago: $1,505 to $2,366
- Fresno to Rockford: $1,490 to $2,328
- Fresno to Springfield: $1,490 to $2,328
- Fresno to Peoria: $1,490 to $2,328
- Fresno to Round Lake Beach: $1,505 to $2,366
Shipping an SUV or Truck from California to Illinois
Since vehicles such as SUV, trucks, and vans are larger and heavier, it’s a bit more expensive to ship them than a sedan. How much more?
If you’re shipping a larger vehicle from California to Illinois you should expect to pay between $1,863 and $2,910.
Factors that affect the price of shipping a car from California to Illinois
- Open Carrier or Enclosed Trailer – Most new cars from ports and factories are moved on open auto carriers, while race cars, vintage collector’s cars, and high-dollar luxury cars get enclosed transport. If you’re not sure, check out our guide comparing open vs enclosed car shipping.
- Time of the year – Due to demand, prices to ship your car from California to Illinois tend to be a little higher in the summer.
- Size, Weight, and Type of Vehicle – The larger and heavier your vehicle, the more shipping your car to Illinois will cost.
- Delivery Expectations – Because it’ll make their job easier, your auto shipper may give you a pricing discount if you’re flexible on delivery dates. That being said, getting your car from California to Illinois should take between 4 and 12 days.
- Pick up and Drop-Off Options – Instead of door-to-door service, consider taking your vehicle to the nearest company terminal in California and having it delivered to the one closest to your new home in Illinois. It’s more work for you, but it could save you a bundle.
Resources for Shipping a Car from California to Illinois
The following resources can help with you shipping your car from California to Illinois:
- The best car shipping companies: Don’t run the risk of using an unreliable company to transport your car from California to Illinois. Using the right company can save you many headaches.
- Best California to Illinois movers: Moving too? We’ve handpicked the best moving companies between California and Illinois.
- How much do movers cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate of moving costs.
- California to Illinois movers & costs: Everything you should know about moving from California to Illinois.
Stick around for more details on costs, tips, and California car shippers you should use.
The best California to Illinois car shippers
A good car shipping company should cover the basics. These are the things to look out for in a quality transport company:
- Insurance: Make sure the insurance covers both the company and the hauler the company contracts with to ship the car.
- Experience: Look for a company that has multiple years of experience and a good track record.
- Shipping options: Good car shipping companies will offer open and closed transport, expedited delivery, shipment tracking, and more.
- Added Perks: Damage coverage, no initial deposits, rental car assistance, free car wash, and guaranteed pricing are some additional options great car shippers offer.
How car shipping from California to Illinois works
- After you’ve received your quote, book your vehicle transport from California to Illinois.
- Once booked, you’ll schedule your vehicle to be picked up in California where it will be loaded onto the carrier.
- Your vehicle will be safely unloaded from the carrier in Illinois on your delivery date.
What else should you know about shipping a car from California to Illinois?
- Car Insurance requirements: The liability insurance minimums for Illinois are $25,000 bodily injury liability per person, $50,000 bodily injury liability per accident, and $20,000 property damage liability per accident
- Vehicle Inspection: In Illinois, emissions inspections are mandatory on a yearly basis for eligible vehicles in the Chicago and East St. Louis metropolitan areas. The Illinois Environmental Protection Agency conducts tests on automobiles before residents can renew their vehicle registration with the Secretary of State's office.
- Driver’s License: Even if your out-of-state driver's license is valid, you must still pass a vision test and written exam if you are moving to Illinois. Within 90 days of becoming a resident in the state, you must convert your license to an Illinois non-commercial license.
- Additional Taxes: According to Illinois law, the recipient or buyer of any vehicle transferred within the state must complete a Private Party Vehicle Tax Transaction form (form RUT-50) and pay the sales tax for the car within 30 days of the transfer of ownership.
Alternative ways to ship your car from California to Illinois
- Drive it yourself: Straightforward but not always an option and it will put about 2083 miles on your car going from California to Illinois. If you’re not sure, here are the pros and cons of driving your car vs shipping it.
- Ship it with your movers: If you hire a moving company, they also work with reputable car shippers. Otherwise, there may be the option of even shipping your car with your household belongings!
- Hire a driver: Hire someone to drive the car from California to Illinois for you. It’s an option…
- Ship by train: If this is an option for you, it’s an affordable and secure way of shipping your vehicle. Shipping a car by train is actually the cheapest way to ship your car!
Learn more with our car shipping checklist
Shipping Your Car from California to Illinois FAQs
Does someone have to be present when picking up my car in California and when dropping off my car in Illinois?
Most companies will require someone that is at least 18-years-old to be present when picking up your car in California and when dropping it off in Illinois.
Do you need car insurance when shipping your car from California to Illinois?
If you’re not driving the vehicle from California to Illinois, it’s not required to have typical car insurance. Your car hauler should have adequate insurance if an accident happened on the drive to Illinois, which you should verify before loading your car in California.
How long does it take to ship a car from California to Illinois?
Car shipping companies can travel about 500 miles per day. With the trip from California to Illinois being about 2083 miles, that’s as fast as about 5 days. But most car transporting companies will take 4-12 days to go from California to Illinois.