Moving from Houston, TX to Raleigh, NC: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Houston, TX to Raleigh, NC averages from $840 to $6,401 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Raleigh, NC. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Raleigh to Houston guide.
- Best Houston to Raleigh movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Houston to Raleigh.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Houston to Raleigh car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 1,197 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Houston to Raleigh?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,227 - $4,942||$926 - $2,264||$777 - $1,481|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,723 - $6,401||$1,658 - $3,323||$840 - $1,761|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,605 - $8,626||$2,243 - $4,398||$1,056 - $2,146|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,197 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Houston to Raleigh will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Houston to Raleigh Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Houston to Raleigh?
To ship furniture from Houston to Raleigh with a mover will cost between $1,227 to $4,942. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $2,723 to $6,401, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Houston to Raleigh will cost from $4,605 to $8,626.
How much are moving container companies from Houston to Raleigh?
Moving containers from Houston to Raleigh will cost you $926 to $2,264 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,658 to $3,323. A larger home will cost $2,243 to $4,398.
How much is a moving truck from Houston to Raleigh?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $777 to $1,481. A larger move will cost $840 to $1,761, and a 4+ bedroom move from Houston to Raleigh costs from $1,056 to $2,146.
How to ship a car from Houston to Raleigh?
If you're moving from Houston to Raleigh and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated Houston to Raleigh car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from Houston, TX to Raleigh, NC a good idea?
Cost of Living: Houston vs Raleigh
|Average rent cost||$1,242||$1,156|
|Average home value||$243,875||$412,599|
|Average income (per capita)||$62,076||$59,492|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$838||$894|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$2,976||$3,187|
|State Income Tax||0.0%||5.25%|
- Rent Prices in Raleigh, NC are 7% lower than in Houston, TX.
- Home Prices in Raleigh, NC are 69.2% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Income in Raleigh, NC is 4.2% lower than in Houston, TX.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Raleigh, NC is 6.7% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Cost of Living for a family in Raleigh, NC is 7.1% higher than in Houston, TX.
- Unemployment rate in Raleigh, NC is 10.42% lower than in Houston, TX.
- Sales Taxes in Raleigh, NC are 12.12% lower than in Houston, TX.
- State Income Taxes in Raleigh, NC are 5.25% higher than in Houston, TX.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,799.5 in Raleigh to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Houston.
How is life different in Houston, TX to Raleigh, NC?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||4||5|
|Bike friendliness score||39||49|
- Raleigh’s population is about 80% less than Houston.
- Raleigh’s public transportation is better than Houston with a score of 4 vs 5.
- Raleigh is less walkable than Houston with a score of 31 vs 47.
- Raleigh is less bike-friendly than Houston with a score of 39 vs 49.
- Raleigh's crime rate is lower than Houston with a score of 25.49 compared to 55.87.
- Raleigh is considered to be safer than Houston with a safety index of 64.89 vs 36.23.
- Air Quality in Raleigh is Moderate, and in Houston it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Raleigh, NC
- Weather: The climate in Raleigh is unlikely to affect your move. However, some days in the winter, the roads may become icy which causes traffic issues. .
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: For-profit household goods carriers in the state fall under the jurisdiction of the North Carolina Utilities Commission, Transportation Division. All legitimate movers should have a “C Number” issued by the commission, signifying that they’ve met minimum insurance requirements and adhere to the provisions outlined in the state’s Maximum Rate Tariff (MRT). Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a North Carolina moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: North Carolina does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Raleigh. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Houston Movers
|Get A Quote||
222 North 66th Street, Houston, TX, 77011
|3 Men Movers||Get A Quote||
6805 Sands Point Drive, Houston, TX, 77074
|All My Sons Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
9550 West Wingfoot Road, Houston, TX, 77041
Visit our Best Movers in Houston page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Raleigh, NC
Now that you've decided to make the move to "The City of Oaks", these are the best neighborhoods in Raleigh to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Central Raleigh
- Five Points
- North Raleigh
- Northwest Raleigh
- West Raleigh
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Cameron Village
- Boylan Heights
- Hayes Barton
- North Hills
- South Park
- Brier Creek
- Six Forks
What to do in Raleigh
Moving to The “The City of Oaks”? These are some of the best things to do in your new North Carolina home.
- North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
- North Carolina Museum of Art
- Pullen Park
- Marbles Kids Museum
- North Carolina Museum of History
- Umstead State Park
- Historic Yates Mill County Park
- JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University
- State Farmers Market
- Neuse River Trail
- PNC Arena
- Frankie's Fun Park
- Lake Johnson Park
- North Carolina State University
- Mordecai Historic Park
Get your sports on!Raleigh is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Carolina Hurricanes (NHL)
- North Carolina FC (USL)
- North Carolina Courage (NWSL)
- Carolina Mudcats (MiLB)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Raleigh
- New York City to Raleigh
- Chicago to Raleigh
- Phoenix to Raleigh
- Philadelphia to Raleigh
- San Diego to Raleigh
- San Jose to Raleigh
- Jacksonville to Raleigh
- Columbus to Raleigh
- Indianapolis to Raleigh