Quick Answer: The cost to move from Los Angeles, CA to Baltimore, MD averages from $2,182 to $7,982 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Baltimore, MD. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Baltimore to Los Angeles guide.
- Best Los Angeles to Baltimore movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Los Angeles to Baltimore.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Los Angeles to Baltimore car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 2,662 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Los Angeles to Baltimore?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,332 - $5,617||$2,004 - $3,432||$2,014 - $2,651|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,975 - $7,982||$3,525 - $5,364||$2,182 - $3,155|
|4+ bedrooms||$7,480 - $12,368||$4,874 - $6,910||$2,784 - $3,876|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,662 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Los Angeles to Baltimore will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Los Angeles to Baltimore Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Los Angeles to Baltimore?
To ship furniture from Los Angeles to Baltimore with a mover will cost between $1,332 to $5,617. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $3,975 to $7,982, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Los Angeles to Baltimore will cost from $7,480 to $12,368.
How much are moving container companies from Los Angeles to Baltimore?
Moving containers from Los Angeles to Baltimore will cost you $2,004 to $3,432 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $3,525 to $5,364. A larger home will cost $4,874 to $6,910.
How much is a moving truck from Los Angeles to Baltimore?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $2,014 to $2,651. A larger move will cost $2,182 to $3,155, and a 4+ bedroom move from Los Angeles to Baltimore costs from $2,784 to $3,876.
How to ship a car from Los Angeles to Baltimore
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Los Angeles to Baltimore car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Los Angeles, CA to Baltimore, MD a good idea?
Cost of Living: Los Angeles vs Baltimore
|Average rent cost||$2,306||$1,320|
|Average home value||$2,110,111||$204,033|
|Average income (per capita)||$68,632||$50,177|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,060||$1,019|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,843||$3,684|
|State Income Tax||13.3%||5.75%|
- Rent Prices in Baltimore, MD are 43% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Home Prices in Baltimore, MD are 90.3% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Income in Baltimore, MD is 26.9% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Baltimore, MD is 3.9% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Cost of Living for a family in Baltimore, MD is 4.1% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Unemployment rate in Baltimore, MD is 27.27% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Sales Taxes in Baltimore, MD are 36.84% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- State Income Taxes in Baltimore, MD are 56.77% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,884.0 in Baltimore to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Los Angeles.
How is life different in Los Angeles, CA to Baltimore, MD?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||8||8|
|Bike friendliness score||53||59|
- Baltimore’s population is about 94% less than Los Angeles.
- Baltimore’s public transportation is not as good as Los Angeles with a score of 8 vs 8.
- Baltimore is less walkable than Los Angeles with a score of 64 vs 69.
- Baltimore is less bike-friendly than Los Angeles with a score of 53 vs 59.
- Baltimore's crime rate is higher than Los Angeles with a score of 47.64 compared to 29.96.
- Baltimore is considered to be less safe than Los Angeles with a score of 24.43 vs 49.78.
- Air Quality in Baltimore is Good, and in Los Angeles it’s Moderate.
Considerations for moving to Baltimore, MD
- Weather: Baltimore has long hot summers, cool winters, and a summer peak to annual precipitation. Spring and autumn are warm, with spring being the wettest season in terms of the number of precipitation days. .
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: Although a local license is not required in Maryland, make sure the moving company you’ll be hiring is registered with U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT). To verify if you’re dealing with a legal and licensed mover, you may ask them their USDOT registration number. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Maryland moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Maryland does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Baltimore. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Los Angeles Movers
|Seka Moving||Get A Quote||
355 S Grand Ave Suite 2450, Los Angeles, CA, 90071
|Move Central Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
2466 E 16th St, Los Angeles, CA, 90021
|ABC Moving Systems||Get A Quote||
11301 W Olympic Blvd #727, Los Angeles, CA, 90064
Visit our Best Movers in Los Angeles page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Baltimore, MD
Now that you've decided to make the move to "America's Comeback Cit", these are the best neighborhoods in Baltimore to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Federal Hill
- Fells Point
- Mid-Town Belvedere
- Mount Vernon
- South Baltimore
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Mount Washington
- Roland Park
What to do in Baltimore
Moving to The “America's Comeback Cit”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Maryland home.
- National Aquarium
- Maryland Science Center
- Maryland Zoo
- Six Flags America
- Top of the World Observation Level
- Maryland Brewery Tours
- Maryland Historical Society
- Geppi’s Entertainment Museum
- Fort McHenry
- The Walters Art Museum
Get your sports on!Baltimore is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Baltimore Orioles (MLB)
- Baltimore Ravens (NFL)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Baltimore
- New York City to Baltimore
- Chicago to Baltimore
- Houston to Baltimore
- Phoenix to Baltimore
- Philadelphia to Baltimore
- San Antonio to Baltimore
- San Diego to Baltimore
- Dallas to Baltimore
- San Jose to Baltimore
Learn more about Baltimore
- What Is The Cost To Move In Baltimore?
- What Is The Cost To Move To Maryland?
- Best Moving Companies in Baltimore, MD
- Best Moving Companies in Maryland
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!