Moving from California to Albany, NY: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The average cost to move from California to Albany, NY ranges from $1,816 to $8,540. Moving costs will vary based on the amount of stuff being moved, the time of year, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself.
Moving out of state can feel overwhelming. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know for your move to Albany, NY. But just in case you’re short on time, here are a few quick resources to get immediate answers.
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Albany, NY to California guide.
- How much will your move cost?: Want to narrow down how much your move will cost? Use our moving cost calculator to get more specific price ranges and recommendations on the best companies to use for your move.
- Best California to Albany, NY movers: If you plan on hiring a moving company be sure to check out our list of the top movers from California to Albany, NY.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- California to Albany, NY car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Okay, let’s talk about moving costs.
How much does it cost to move from California to Albany, NY?
The table below lays out average cost ranges for different moving services depending on the size of your home.
|Size of the Move||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,425 - $6,010||$1,514 - $3,777||$1,677 - $3,254|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$4,254 - $8,540||$2,684 - $5,621||$1,816 - $3,873|
|4+ bedrooms||$8,004 - $13,234||$3,708 - $7,680||$2,296 - $4,756|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,943 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from California to Albany, NY will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best California to Albany, NY Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire movers from California to Albany, NY?
To ship furniture from California to Albany with a mover will cost between $1,425 to $6,010. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home from Albany to NY will range from $4,254 to $8,540, and a large move from California to Albany will cost from $8,004 to $13,234.
How much are moving containers like PODS from California to Albany, NY?
Moving pods from California to Albany will cost you $1,514 to $3,777 for a small move. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,684 to $5,621. A 4-bedroom move or bigger will cost $3,708 to $7,680.
How much is a moving truck from California to Albany, NY?
A moving rental truck is generally the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,677 to $3,254. A larger move will cost $1,816 to $3,873, and a 4+ bedroom move from California to Albany costs from $2,296 to $4,756.
How to ship a car from California to Albany, NY?
To ship your car on this route, find a reliable California to Albany car shipping company. Compare quotes and services, and prepare your car for shipping by cleaning it and removing personal items. Stay in communication with the car shipping company and inspect your car upon delivery.
Is moving from California to Albany, NY a good idea?
Cost of Living: California vs Albany, NY
|Average rent cost||$1,503||$1,125|
|Average home value||$758,360||$274,500|
|Average income (per capita)||$78,672||$63,475|
|State Income Tax||13.3%||10.9%|
Albany sources: Zumper, Zillow, Numbeo
- Rent is about 25% less expensive in Albany than in California.
- Home prices are about 63.8% lower in Albany than in California.
- The average income is about 19.3% lower in Albany than in California.
- Albany has a higher unemployment rate than California by about 22.4%.
- Income taxes are 18.05% lower in Albany than in California.
How is life different in Albany from California?
|Political leaning||Democratic 65-33||Democratic 63-34|
Albany sources: Wikipedia, AllTransit, Walk Score, NeighborhoodScout, AirNow
- The population of Albany is approximately 100% lower than the population of California.
- In the last presidential election, Albany voted Democratic and California voted Democratic.
- The average high in the summertime in Albany is 83ºF and in California, it’s 87ºF.
- During the coldest part of the year, Albany reaches the temperature of 15ºF and California gets down to 59ºF.
- You can expect about 40 inches of annual rainfall in Albany vs 22 inches of rainfall in California.
- In Albany, it snows about 52 inches annually vs 7 inches of snow in California.
- Albany has a lower crime rate than California with a crime index of 25.7 vs 10.0.
Considerations for moving to Albany, NY
- Weather: August, June and July are the best months to consider moving into Albany as weather during these months are very favorable. During October to January, Albany experiences a cold weather where it can get snow and rain and could be colder than the rest of the New York States..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: One common and important example of something that should be handled ahead of time is reserving the building's elevator and finding out their rules for using the elevator.
- Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles, find out ahead of time with your new local rules.
- State Licensing: New York is one of the busiest moving states in the country, and local and intrastate moving companies operating within the Empire State are regulated by the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT). Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a New York moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: New York does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to New York. Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Peace of mind is priceless. Our moving checklist will help you know you’ve got everything covered.
Looking for local California movers?
|Meathead Movers||Get A Quote||
4744 North El Capitan Avenue, Fresno, CA, 93722
|Grace Moving Company||Get A Quote||
800 Janopaul Lane, Modesto, CA, 95351
|Courtesy Movers||Get A Quote||
3515 North Sabre Drive, Fresno, CA, 93727
Visit our Best Movers in California page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Need a local Albany mover?
|Mabey's Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
515 Third Avenue Extension, Rensselaer, NY, 12144
|Mack's Moving Company||Get A Quote||
4 Center Street, Green Island, NY, 12183
|Lamanna Moving & Storage, LLC||Get A Quote||
559 Broadway, Albany, NY, 12204
Visit our Best Movers in Albany page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in Albany?
Whether you’re looking for parks, museums, sports, or even universities, you’ll be happy to find a plethora of these in Albany.
Museums in Albany
- New York State Museum
- USS Slater DE-766
- Albany Institute of History & Art
- The Irish American Heritage Museum
- American Italian Heritage Museum
Parks in Albany
- Washington Park
- Albany Pine Bush Preserve
Sports Teams in Albany
- Albany Great Danes (America East)
- Saint Rose Golden Knights (NE-10)
Universities in Albany
- Maria College of Albany
- Mildred Elley School Albany Campus
- The College of Saint Rose
- Bryant and Stratton College Albany
- Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Memorial Hospital School of Nursing
- SUNY at Albany
Where to move to in Albany, NY?
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Smallbany," these are the best neighborhoods in Albany to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Center Square
- Hudson Park
- Park South
- Washington Park
- Historic Pastures
- Sheridan Hollow
- North Albany/Shaker Park
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Center Square
- Park South
- Hudson Park
- New Scotland/Woodlawn
- Union Street
- Buckingham Pond/Crestwood
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Albany
- Chicago to Albany
- Houston to Albany
- Phoenix to Albany
- Philadelphia to Albany
- San Antonio to Albany
- San Diego to Albany
- Dallas to Albany
- San Jose to Albany
- Austin to Albany