How Much Will it Cost you to Move to New York?
New York. The land of natural beauty, arts, ample economic opportunity, and abundant outdoor recreational opportunities . It’s very easy to see why you’d want to move there.
Surely if you’re looking to move to New York, you know all of this but… How much does it cost to move to New York?
That’s a far less known fact that you need to know if you’re moving to New York.
Fortunately, you’re here. We’re going to break down how much it generally costs to move to New York.
Of course, it’s crucial to get a personalized quote for your move. For that, take a look at our moving cost calculator.
So… How Much Does it Cost to Move to New York?
The following prices are what you might expect to pay a professional moving company to move your items to New York.
|Home Size||Avg. Total Cost||Cost/hour||# of Movers||# Hours|
|Studio||$39||$15||2 movers||3 hours|
|1 Bedroom||$54||$15||2 movers||4 hours|
|2 Bedroom||$86||$21||3 movers||5 hours|
|3 Bedroom||$197||$29||4 movers||8 hours|
|4 Bedroom||$226||$29||4 movers||9 hours|
|5+ Bedroom||$346||$40||5 movers||10 hours|
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Factors for your move
Before we get into the actual figures, it’s important that we touch on the main contributing factors that are going to affect the cost of your move to New York.
- Size of your move: The more things you move, the more the move is going to cost. You’ll want to make sure that you’re only bringing with you those things that you truly want to have in New York.
- Distance of the move: How far you are moving is another thing that is going to affect the cost of the relocation. The further the move, the higher the cost.
- Type of move: You have four main options for your move. A full-service moving company, renting a moving truck, getting a moving container, and hiring a freight trailer. We will break these down further in the article.
- Add-on services: Generally speaking, the more you do yourself the less the move is going to cost you. However, it can be nice to have professionals do your packing and unpacking for you. That’s going to cost a little extra.
- Time of the year: Moving in the summer can cost from 20-30% more! Relocating when moving companies have less demand will certainly bring your costs down.
How much does it cost to live in New York?
- The cost index in New York is 100. This means it's similar to the national average.
- The average rent in New York for a one-bedroom apartment is $1,280 which is 3.47% lower than the national average.
- The average home value in New York is $381,335 which is about 7.11% more expensive than the national average.
- The average income in New York is $71,117 which is about 9.42% higher than the national average.
What are your moving options?
Hire a Professional Moving Company
Hiring a professional mover to move to New York will cost the most money but will require the least amount of work.
Below is a list of the best companies to hire for your move.
Other Moving to New York options
- Rent a Moving Truck: This is your typical rental from a company like U-Haul. This will require the most amount of work but is the cheapest option.
- Rent a Moving Container: The pricing is a little more than a rental truck but less than a professional mover. This is a great option if you need storage with your move.
- Use Freight Shipping: An option for cross-country moves.
How do I ship a car to New York?
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move. Here are the top shippers:
|Easy Auto Ship||
|Ship A Car Direct||
|Sherpa Auto Transport||
Things to Know about your move
Although cost is certainly important, there are other factors that you should consider about your move.
- State Licensing: New York is one of the busiest moving states in the country, and local and intrastate moving companies operating within the Empire State are regulated by the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT).
- Mover's Insurance: Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Weather: The climate of New York state is generally has warm to hot summers and cold winters. In the farther southeastern portion of the state (New York City and Long Island area) hot and humid summers and cool to mild winters. Winter temperatures average below freezing during January and February in much of New York state, but several degrees above freezing along the Atlantic coastline, including New York City.
What is the cheapest way to move to New York?
Consider the particularities of your move. For some people, it’s cheaper to rent a moving container, but for others, it makes more sense to hire a professional moving company. To get the best idea of which option is best for you, we have a moving cost calculator that will give you a free, personalized, and instant quote.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!