Moving from Los Angeles, CA to Buffalo, NY: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Los Angeles, CA to Buffalo, NY averages from $1,593 to $7,829 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Buffalo, NY. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Buffalo to Los Angeles guide.
- Best Los Angeles to Buffalo movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Los Angeles to Buffalo.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Los Angeles to Buffalo car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 2,536 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Los Angeles to Buffalo?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,318 - $5,457||$1,380 - $3,431||$1,471 - $2,848|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,805 - $7,829||$2,450 - $5,096||$1,593 - $3,391|
|4+ bedrooms||$7,153 - $12,119||$3,373 - $6,929||$2,013 - $4,160|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,536 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Los Angeles to Buffalo will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Los Angeles to Buffalo Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from Los Angeles to Buffalo?
To ship furniture from Los Angeles to Buffalo with a mover will cost between $1,318 to $5,457. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $3,805 to $7,829, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from Los Angeles to Buffalo will cost from $7,153 to $12,119.
How much are moving container companies from Los Angeles to Buffalo?
Moving containers from Los Angeles to Buffalo will cost you $1,380 to $3,431 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,450 to $5,096. A larger home will cost $3,373 to $6,929.
How much is a moving truck from Los Angeles to Buffalo?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,471 to $2,848. A larger move will cost $1,593 to $3,391, and a 4+ bedroom move from Los Angeles to Buffalo costs from $2,013 to $4,160.
How to ship a car from Los Angeles to Buffalo?
If you're moving from Los Angeles to Buffalo and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated Los Angeles to Buffalo car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from Los Angeles, CA to Buffalo, NY a good idea?
Cost of Living: Los Angeles vs Buffalo
|Average rent cost||$2,306||$1,050|
|Average home value||$2,110,111||$214,262|
|Average income (per capita)||$68,632||$61,042|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,060||$1,022|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,843||$3,645|
|State Income Tax||13.3%||10.9%|
- Rent Prices in Buffalo, NY are 55% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Home Prices in Buffalo, NY are 89.8% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Income in Buffalo, NY is 11.1% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Buffalo, NY is 3.6% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Cost of Living for a family in Buffalo, NY is 5.2% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Unemployment rate in Buffalo, NY is 13.64% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- Sales Taxes in Buffalo, NY are 7.89% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
- State Income Taxes in Buffalo, NY are 18.05% lower than in Los Angeles, CA.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,892.5 in Buffalo to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in Los Angeles.
How is life different in Los Angeles, CA to Buffalo, NY?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||7||8|
|Bike friendliness score||63||59|
- Buffalo’s population is about 97% less than Los Angeles.
- Buffalo’s public transportation is better than Los Angeles with a score of 7 vs 8.
- Buffalo is less walkable than Los Angeles with a score of 67 vs 69.
- Buffalo is more bike-friendly than Los Angeles with a score of 63 vs 59.
- Buffalo's crime rate is lower than Los Angeles with a score of 8.0 compared to 29.96.
- Buffalo is considered to be safer than Los Angeles with a safety index of 53.55 vs 49.78.
- Air Quality in Buffalo is Moderate, and in Los Angeles it’s Moderate.
Considerations for moving to Buffalo, NY
- Weather: Best months to move to Buffalo are August, July and June are the most pleasant months in Buffalo, while January and December are the least comfortable months due to extreme winter weather. .
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: New York is one of the busiest moving states in the country, and local and intrastate moving companies operating within the Empire State are regulated by the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT). Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a New York moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: New York does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Buffalo. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local Los Angeles Movers
|Seka Moving||Get A Quote||
355 S Grand Ave Suite 2450, Los Angeles, CA, 90071
|ABC Moving Systems||Get A Quote||
11301 W Olympic Blvd #727, Los Angeles, CA, 90064
|Move Central Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
2466 E 16th St, Los Angeles, CA, 90021
Visit our Best Movers in Los Angeles page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Buffalo, NY
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Queen City", these are the best neighborhoods in Buffalo to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- Delaware District
- Lower West Side
- Elmwood Strip
- West Side
- North Park
- First Ward
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Clarence Center
- Harris Hill
- East Aurora
- Grandyle Village
- Billington Heights
What to do in Buffalo
Moving to The “Queen City”? These are some of the best things to do in your new New York home.
- Frank Lloyd Wright's Martin House
- Buffalo & Erie County Naval and Military Park
- Buffalo City Hall
- Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens
- KeyBank Center
- Pierce-Arrow Museum
- Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historic Site
- Sahlen Field
- Albright-Knox Art Gallery
Get your sports on!Buffalo is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Buffalo Bandits
- Buffalo Beauts
- Buffalo Bills (AAFC)
- Buffalo Bisons (AHL)
- Buffalo Bisons (minor league)
- Canisius Golden Griffins
- Columbus Destroyers
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Chicago to Buffalo
- Houston to Buffalo
- Phoenix to Buffalo
- Philadelphia to Buffalo
- San Antonio to Buffalo
- Dallas to Buffalo
- Austin to Buffalo
- Jacksonville to Buffalo
- Fort Worth to Buffalo
- Columbus to Buffalo