Moving from Florida to Rochester, NY: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The average cost to move from Florida to Rochester, NY ranges from $910 to $6,242. Moving costs will vary based on the amount of stuff being moved, the time of year, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself.
Moving out of state can feel overwhelming. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know for your move to Rochester, NY. But just in case you’re short on time, here are a few quick resources to get immediate answers.
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Rochester, NY to Florida guide.
- How much will your move cost?: Want to narrow down how much your move will cost? Use our moving cost calculator to get more specific price ranges and recommendations on the best companies to use for your move.
- Best Florida to Rochester, NY movers: If you plan on hiring a moving company be sure to check out our list of the top movers from Florida to Rochester, NY.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Florida to Rochester, NY car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Okay, let’s talk about moving costs.
How much does it cost to move from Florida to Rochester, NY?
The table below lays out average cost ranges for different moving services depending on the size of your home.
|Size of the Move||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,176 - $4,703||$967 - $2,372||$842 - $1,607|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$2,693 - $6,242||$1,731 - $3,488||$910 - $1,912|
|4+ bedrooms||$4,646 - $8,568||$2,348 - $4,633||$1,144 - $2,332|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 1,300 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Florida to Rochester, NY will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best Florida to Rochester, NY Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire movers from Florida to Rochester, NY?
To ship furniture from Florida to Rochester with a mover will cost between $1,176 to $4,703. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home from Rochester to NY will range from $2,693 to $6,242, and a large move from Florida to Rochester will cost from $4,646 to $8,568.
How much are moving containers like PODS from Florida to Rochester, NY?
Moving pods from Florida to Rochester will cost you $967 to $2,372 for a small move. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $1,731 to $3,488. A 4-bedroom move or bigger will cost $2,348 to $4,633.
How much is a moving truck from Florida to Rochester, NY?
A moving rental truck is generally the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $842 to $1,607. A larger move will cost $910 to $1,912, and a 4+ bedroom move from Florida to Rochester costs from $1,144 to $2,332.
How to ship a car from Florida to Rochester, NY?
To ship your car on this route, find a reliable Florida to Rochester car shipping company. Compare quotes and services, and prepare your car for shipping by cleaning it and removing personal items. Stay in communication with the car shipping company and inspect your car upon delivery.
Is moving from Florida to Rochester, NY a good idea?
Cost of Living: Florida vs Rochester, NY
|Average rent cost||$1,175||$995|
|Average home value||$356,349||$215,350|
|Average income (per capita)||$57,703||$61,737|
|State Income Tax||0.0%||10.9%|
Rochester sources: Zumper, Zillow, Numbeo
- Rent is about 15% less expensive in Rochester than in Florida.
- Home prices are about 39.6% lower in Rochester than in Florida.
- The average income is about 7.0% higher in Rochester than in Florida.
- Rochester has a higher unemployment rate than Florida by about 180.0%.
- Income taxes are 10.90% higher in Rochester than in Florida.
How is life different in Rochester from Florida?
|Political leaning||Democratic 59-38||Republican 51-48|
Rochester sources: Wikipedia, AllTransit, Walk Score, NeighborhoodScout, AirNow
- The population of Rochester is approximately 99% lower than the population of Florida.
- In the last presidential election, Rochester voted Democratic and Florida voted Republican.
- The average high in the summertime in Rochester is 82ºF and in Florida, it’s 91ºF.
- During the coldest part of the year, Rochester reaches the temperature of 17ºF and Florida gets down to 49ºF.
- You can expect about 33 inches of annual rainfall in Rochester vs 55 inches of rainfall in Florida.
- In Rochester, it snows about 77 inches annually vs 0 inches of snow in Florida.
- Rochester has a lower crime rate than Florida with a crime index of 21.73 vs 7.0.
Considerations for moving to Rochester, NY
- Weather: The cold weather and snow might be a challenge if you're planning to relocate to Rochester, NY during January and February. August, July and June are the most pleasant months in Rochester..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: One common and important example of something that should be handled ahead of time is reserving the building's elevator and finding out their rules for using the elevator.
- Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles, find out ahead of time with your new local rules.
- State Licensing: New York is one of the busiest moving states in the country, and local and intrastate moving companies operating within the Empire State are regulated by the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT). Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a New York moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: New York does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to New York. Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Peace of mind is priceless. Our moving checklist will help you know you’ve got everything covered.
Looking for local Florida movers?
|A-1 Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
15070 Corporate Rd N, Jupiter, FL, 33478
|Bekins Moving Solutions||Get A Quote||
5300 Powerline Rd #100, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 33309
|2 College Brothers Moving and Storage||Get A Quote||
605 Northwest 53rd Avenue, Gainesville, FL, 32609
Visit our Best Movers in Florida page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Need a local Rochester mover?
|Interior Moving Services Inc||Get A Quote||
157 La Grange Ave, Rochester, NY, 14613
|Sheridan Brothers Moving||Get A Quote||
1350 University Ave, Rochester, NY, 14607
|Metropolis Moving, Inc.||Get A Quote||
476 Jefferson St, Brooklyn, NY, 11237
Visit our Best Movers in Rochester page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in Rochester?
Whether you’re looking for parks, museums, sports, or even universities, you’ll be happy to find a plethora of these in Rochester.
Museums in Rochester
- The Strong National Museum of Play
- George Eastman Museum
- National Susan B. Anthony Museum & House
- Rochester Museum & Science Center
- Memorial Art Gallery
- Strasenburgh Planetarium
- Edgerton Model Railroad Room
- Rochester Auto Museum
- Military History Society of Rochester
- Image City Photography Gallery
- Rochester Contemporary Art Center (RoCo)
Parks in Rochester
- Seabreeze Amusement Park
- Highland Park
- Erie Canal Trail
- Cobbs Hill Park
- Ontario Beach Park
- Turning Point Park
Sports Teams in Rochester
- Rochester Americans (AHL)
- Roberts Wesleyan Redhawks (ECC)
Universities in Rochester
- University of Rochester
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- St. John Fisher College
- Nazareth College of Rochester
- Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine
- Roberts Wesleyan College
- Crossroads College
Where to move to in Rochester, NY?
Now that you've decided to make the move to "The Flour City," these are the best neighborhoods in Rochester to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- East Avenue
- South Wedge
- Park Avenue
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Cobbs Hill
- Upper Monroe
- Park Avenue
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Los Angeles to Rochester
- Chicago to Rochester
- Houston to Rochester
- Phoenix to Rochester
- Philadelphia to Rochester
- San Antonio to Rochester
- San Diego to Rochester
- Dallas to Rochester
- San Jose to Rochester
- Austin to Rochester