Over the past 10 years, we’ve developed a rigorous review process to identify the absolute best moving companies. We look at:
Customer satisfaction (40%): The company consistently delivers services in a timely matter with good communication and within the estimated cost.
Dispute resolution (20%): Mistakes cannot be avoided in the moving industry. We look for companies that own their mistakes and make genuine efforts to fix any issues that arise during a move.
Industry reputation (15%): The company is well regarded within the moving industry and participates in industry conferences and organizations.
Online reputation (15%): The company maintains a professional website with accurate information. The company promptly and professionally responds to online customer inquiries.
Service options (10%): We look for companies with a deep breadth of services including full packing, storage, specialty item handling, expedited delivery, and more.
Average moving company cost in Rochester
The pricing table below shows ballpark costs for local moves within the Rochester area and its surrounding suburbs. Or check out our post on the cost to move in Rochester for more pricing info.
Keep in mind the price ranges listed are only averages. Actual costs can vary greatly depending on the specific requirements of your move.
You can also check out our moving cost calculator for more accurate moving cost estimates.
|Home Size||Avg. Total Cost||Cost/hour||# of Movers||# Hours|
|Studio||$596||$302||2 movers||3 hours|
|1 Bedroom||$898||$302||2 movers||4 hours|
|2 Bedroom||$1,563||$423||3 movers||5 hours|
|3 Bedroom||$3,852||$593||4 movers||8 hours|
|4 Bedroom||$4,445||$593||4 movers||9 hours|
|5+ Bedroom||$6,934||$830||5 movers||10 hours|
Things to keep in mind for your Rochester move
- Parking Permits: Rochester’s parking regulations are designed to promote traffic flow, pedestrian safety, and availability of parking spaces on city streets. A variety of street signs placed along city streets indicate the parking regulations that apply. In addition to signs, parking meters are in place to provide on-street parking to as many vehicles as possible. Make sure to obtain the proper requirements upon moving.
- State Licensing: New York is one of the busiest moving states in the country, and local and intrastate moving companies operating within the Empire State are regulated by the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT).
FAQs for Rochester movers
How do I find a reputable Rochester mover?
There are many things you should look for in a mover to ensure they’re reputable such as:
- A good reputation: Whether they’re a new family-owned business or a large van lines company with years of experience, a good reputation is absolutely essential.
- Dispute resolution: If the mover has many unresolved customer complaints, steer clear. All movers will eventually have some mishaps, but it’s the handling of these moments that show the company’s true colors.
- Experience for your move: Even a professional mover with amazing reviews for local moves may struggle to handle a cross-country move. Make sure the company has adequate experience for your particular needs.
What is the cheapest day to hire a mover?
If you’ve asked yourself this question, congratulations.
You’re asking the right questions to save money on your move. Typically, the earlier you book your move the better.
Avoiding weekends, holidays, and the summer will typically give you the best price on your move.
Shopping for the lowest quote is typically a bad idea since many companies will take your move for the lowest cost only for the price to end up doubling on the actual move day!
Do Rochester movers offer storage?
Yes, depending on your storage needs most moving companies in Rochester do offer both short and long-term storage units.
However, while some have their own storage facilities, others don’t, in which case they may store your items at a third-party warehouse. It’s always worth asking about storage facilities and getting quotes when screening prospective movers early on in the moving process.Should you use your mover's storage solutions?
What is there to do in Rochester?
Some popular attractions in Rochester include:
- The Strong National Museum of Play
- George Eastman Museum
- Seabreeze Amusement Park
- Rochester Public Market
- Seneca Park Zoo
- Frontier Field
How’s the job market in Rochester?
Rochester’s unemployment rate is at 9.8%. Looking for a job in “The Flour City”? Let us help you start looking, here’s a list of the top employers from this New York city:
- Wegmans Food Markets
- Bausch + Lomb
- Rochester Regional Health
- Lifetime Healthcare
- Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
- Carestream Health
Helpful Rochester Resources
Planning a move to Rochester? We have a guide for that, select your origin below.
- Moving from Los Angeles to Rochester
- Moving from New York City to Rochester
- Moving from Chicago to Rochester
- Moving from Houston to Rochester
- Moving from Phoenix to Rochester
- Moving to Rochester from somewhere else
Top-Rated Movers in Nearby Cities
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!