Moving from San Jose, CA to Nashville, TN: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from San Jose, CA to Nashville, TN averages from $1,440 to $7,643 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to Nashville, TN. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from Nashville to San Jose guide.
- Best San Jose to Nashville movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from San Jose to Nashville.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- San Jose to Nashville car shippers: Moving your car? Here's a list of our top car shipping companies.
Moving 2,260 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from San Jose to Nashville?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,301 - $5,262||$1,287 - $3,193||$1,329 - $2,570|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,596 - $7,643||$2,288 - $4,735||$1,440 - $3,059|
|4+ bedrooms||$6,752 - $11,815||$3,143 - $6,413||$1,818 - $3,749|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,260 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from San Jose to Nashville will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Who Are The Best San Jose to Nashville Movers?
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire a professional moving company from San Jose to Nashville?
To ship furniture from San Jose to Nashville with a mover will cost between $1,301 to $5,262. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home will range from $3,596 to $7,643, and a 4-bedroom move or bigger move from San Jose to Nashville will cost from $6,752 to $11,815.
How much are moving container companies from San Jose to Nashville?
Moving containers from San Jose to Nashville will cost you $1,287 to $3,193 for a studio or one-bedroom home. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,288 to $4,735. A larger home will cost $3,143 to $6,413.
How much is a moving truck from San Jose to Nashville?
Renting a moving truck is usually the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,329 to $2,570. A larger move will cost $1,440 to $3,059, and a 4+ bedroom move from San Jose to Nashville costs from $1,818 to $3,749.
How to ship a car from San Jose to Nashville?
If you're moving from San Jose to Nashville and need to transport your car, finding a reliable car shipping company is crucial. Look for top-rated San Jose to Nashville car shippers and compare quotes and services to find the best fit for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the type of transport you choose and the size of your vehicle will affect the cost.
Is moving from San Jose, CA to Nashville, TN a good idea?
Cost of Living: San Jose vs Nashville
|Average rent cost||$2,500||$1,699|
|Average home value||$1,444,420||$420,533|
|Average income (per capita)||$75,709||$70,262|
|Cost of Living (single person)||$1,033||$1,047|
|Cost of Living (family of 4)||$3,704||$3,716|
|State Income Tax||13.3%||0.0%|
- Rent Prices in Nashville, TN are 32% lower than in San Jose, CA.
- Home Prices in Nashville, TN are 70.9% lower than in San Jose, CA.
- Income in Nashville, TN is 7.2% lower than in San Jose, CA.
- Cost of Living for a single person in Nashville, TN is 1.4% higher than in San Jose, CA.
- Cost of Living for a family is the same in Nashville, TN and San Jose, CA.
- Unemployment rate in Nashville, TN is 42.86% lower than in San Jose, CA.
- Sales Taxes in Nashville, TN are 1.39% lower than in San Jose, CA.
- State Income Taxes in Nashville, TN are 100.00% lower than in San Jose, CA.
To put this into perspective, you would need around $2,959.3 in Nashville to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with $3,000.00 in San Jose.
How is life different in San Jose, CA to Nashville, TN?
|AllTransit Transportation Performance Score||4||7|
|Bike friendliness score||72||62|
- Nashville’s population is about 29% less than San Jose.
- Nashville’s public transportation is better than San Jose with a score of 4 vs 7.
- Nashville is more walkable than San Jose with a score of 96 vs 51.
- Nashville is more bike-friendly than San Jose with a score of 72 vs 62.
- Nashville's crime rate is higher than San Jose with a score of 51.91 compared to 28.18.
- Nashville is considered to be less safe than San Jose with a score of 53.16 vs 53.91.
- Air Quality in Nashville is Good, and in San Jose it’s Good.
Considerations for moving to Nashville, TN
- Weather: Nashville has humid summers and generally cool winters typical of the Upper South. Spring and fall are prone to severe thunderstorms, which may bring tornadoes, large hail, flash floods, and damaging wind. Be sure to check your weather app before your move to avoid inclement weather..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: Although a local license is not required in Tennessee, make sure the moving company you’ll be hiring is registered with U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT). To verify if you’re dealing with a legal and licensed mover, you may ask them their USDOT registration number. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a Tennessee moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: Tennessee does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to Nashville. Get started here.
- Moving Company Insurance: Every state requires moving companies to carry different levels of insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Our moving checklist will help you have the peace of mind that you’ve got everything covered.
Local San Jose Movers
|Silicon Valley Moving and Storage||Get A Quote||
186 Barnard Ave, San Jose, CA, 95125
|All Reasons Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
600 E Trimble Rd, San Jose, CA, 95131
|Lunardi Moving||Get A Quote||
1856 Almaden Road Unit 3, San Jose, CA, 95125
Visit our Best Movers in San Jose page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
Where to live in Nashville, TN
Now that you've decided to make the move to "The Athens of the South", these are the best neighborhoods in Nashville to move to.
Best neighborhoods for singles:
- The Gulch
- Music Row
Best neighborhoods for families:
- Buena Vista
- Green Hills
- Lockeland Springs
- Oak Hill
What to do in Nashville
Moving to The “The Athens of the South”? These are some of the best things to do in your new Tennessee home.
- Grand Ole Opry
- Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum
- Nashville Zoo at Grassmere
- Broadway Nashville
- Belle Meade Historic Site and Winery
- Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage
- The Parthenon
- Ryman Auditorium
- Tennessee State Museum
- Adventure Science Center
- Frist Art Museum
- Cumberland Park
- Tootsie's Orchid Lounge
- Nashville Farmers' Market
- Etch Restaurant
- The Johnny Cash Museum
- Nelson's Green Brier Distillery
- National Museum of African American Music
- Radnor Lake State Park
- RCA Studio B
Get your sports on!Nashville is a great sports town, these are the local teams to support:
- Tennessee Titans (NFL)
- Nashville Predators (NHL)
- Nashville SC (MLS)
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- New York City to Nashville
- Chicago to Nashville
- Houston to Nashville
- Phoenix to Nashville
- Philadelphia to Nashville
- San Antonio to Nashville
- Dallas to Nashville
- Austin to Nashville
- Jacksonville to Nashville
- Fort Worth to Nashville