Here’s the bottom line: We love Bold Moving and Storage! The young company employs high-quality professional movers with regional expertise who make it easy to settle in your new home or store your belongings for however long you need. Many customers would use them again and again despite their higher price tag.
Bold Moving and Storage (BMS) is a small but mighty regional full-service moving and storage company headquartered in Richmond, Virginia. The full-service provider packs and transports household goods nationwide but primarily maintains a presence in East Coast cities like Richmond, Miami, Manhattan, and Washington, DC.
When Ross moved from Pennsylvania to Tennessee in 2022, his due diligence led him to request several quotes while vetting moving companies. He was impressed when Bold Moving and Storage offered him a competitive quote, and the company’s online reputation gave him even more confidence.
As he went about the moving process, Ross told us that BMS prioritized communication and reassured him that he was in good hands every step of the way. While the company is still relatively new compared to industry veterans, its movers have been a breath of fresh air for many customers.
In this article, we’ll delve into BMS’s process and services so you can decide if they’re the right fit for your upcoming move and storage needs.
Pros and cons of moving with Bold Moving and Storage
- Ensures accurate and fast deliveries
- Has convenient warehouses in centralized East Coast locations
- Provides virtual estimates and free quotes by phone, email, or contact form
- Maintains Better Business Bureau (BBB) accreditation and an A+ rating
- Holds FMCSA licensing and insurance
- Offers local, long-distance, and cross-country moves, plus corporate relocation
- Climate-controlled storage options
- May add professional packing, loading, and unloading services
- Only services the East Coast
- Not ideal for small moves
- Founded in 2018, so relatively new to the moving industry
- Sales reps may make hollow promises
- Some customer complaints about damaged items and poor communication
89% of users select this mover
- Bold Moving and Storage (US DOT: 3139358) is a regional mover located in Richmond, Virginia, but it has warehouses in New York, Virginia, Florida, New Jersey, and Washington, DC.
- BMS offers full-service moving solutions, including packing, storage, and cleaning.
- Real-life customers generally appreciate the carrier’s communication, attention to detail, and overall value.
Jump to the Bold Moving and Storage info you’re looking for:
- Bold Moving and Storage pricing: How much it costs to move
- Bold Moving and Storage offers a wide variety of services
- How Bold Moving and Storage stacks up against the competition
- How moving with Bold Moving and Storage works
- Bold Moving and Storage is perfect for people relocating from one East Coast town to another
Bold Moving and Storage pricing: How much it costs to move
Bold Moving and Storage offers general moving estimates when you reach out online.
Since “ballpark” pricing can be inaccurate, those interested in working with Bold Moving and Storage should contact the company directly to request a more in-depth estimate.
To get a free quote, customers can enter the following information into a simple form on the website:
- Pick-up and drop-off locations
- Move type and estimated size
- Telephone number and email address
Customers can also inquire about free moving quotes using the phone number listed on the website. As an added benefit, Bold Moving and Storage allows customers to schedule virtual estimates, which is a more thorough assessment of their space and belongings.
Bold Moving and Storage provides most customers with binding estimates that lock in charges as long the scope of the move hasn’t changed.
Ross was quoted $5,000 for his interior-state move from a 2-bedroom apartment with approximately 4,500 pounds of furniture, appliances, and household goods. When BMS completed his move, his final invoice priced the move at exactly what he was quoted.
Cindy and Alan moved a shorter distance than Ross–approximately 370 miles from Fairfax, VA, to their new home in Wilmington, NC–but had more items in their 4,300 square foot home, including antiques, tools, and various specialty items.
BMS initially quoted them $7,500, and Alan exclusively requested quotes from full-service moving companies. At the end of their move, Alan and Cindy weren’t left with any surprises when their bill was exactly what BMS originally quoted them.
Customers submit their payments in installments. You’ll pay an initial deposit when you book, another installment on moving day, and submit the final payment when you receive your items.
Factors that affect move cost include:
- Date and seasonality: Peak season tends to be more expensive.
- Distance: Farther distances usually incur more charges.
- Size of home or apartment: Your residence size and distance from the moving truck can increase your estimate.
- Weight of belongings: Large items require more manpower to facilitate the move. Moving add-ons like custom crating and appliance services: Moving services for large or precious items will likely require special supplies and additional precautions, which can increase the time your move takes.
- Packing and unpacking: If you don’t want to DIY, you can add packing and unpacking to your moving experience.
- Storage: If you need your items stored for any time, you’ll have potential deposits and monthly fees to factor into your budget.
- Moving valuation: Your valuation is the agreed-upon amount the company will pay you if your items are lost, damaged, or stolen in transit. It isn’t the same as insurance.
Bold Moving and Storage makes it easy for customers to pay for their deposit and the rest of their move. The carrier accepts nearly every form of payment, including cash, cashier’s checks, money orders, and all major credit cards.
Generally, Bold Moving and Storage will charge more for complex moves and multi-bedroom homes.
Ross requested quotes from Mayzlin Relocation and American Van Lines (AVL), but he was most impressed when BMS responded to his inquiry with an interactive checklist of all his items.
Once he completed the checklist, a representative reached out the very next day. During that call, the representative’s expertise deduced that Ross needed to add long-carry accommodations to his moving reservation because his apartment complex had an inconvenient parking situation.
Ross received the following quotes from Mayzlin, AVL, and BMS, but he ultimately decided to go with BMS despite the higher initial quote.
American Van Lines
Bold Moving and Storage
You can compare your quote to the nationwide averages we calculated through our research. Below, you’ll find the general range you can expect to pay based on the distance, required labor hours, and size of your home.
2 – 3 Bedrooms
4 – 5 Bedrooms
$455 – $1,370
$799 – $3,000
$1,311 – $4,000
$1,050 – $3,545
$1,830 – $5,300
$2,470 – $6,980
$1,425 – $5,800
$3,020 – $7,250
$4,950 – $17,375
$1,549 – $6,939
$4,454 – $9,191
$5,997 – $20,018
Ross’s interstate move was approximately 1,110 miles, so his quote was very much in line with our national averages for a move of his size.
89% of users select this mover
Bold Moving and Storage offers a wide variety of services
Bold Moving and Storage uses its extensive moving experience to provide its customers with a full list of services that streamline the moving experience. We’ve carefully evaluated each of the services they offer.
- Local moves: Bold Moving and Storage works with customers to provide local and regional moving services in Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, DC. Local moves are eligible for handling, transportation, and all add-on options.
- Long-distance moves: BMS helps residential and commercial customers move coast-to-coast. Their moving network extends all across North America.
- Corporate relocation: BMS has experience relocating companies and their employees. In addition to packing, handling, and transporting household goods and office contents, the company minimizes downtime during relocations.
- Packing and unpacking: The carrier offers complete and customized packing services. They provide all necessary packing materials to safely transport all items, including kitchen supplies, wardrobes, and fragile items.
- Short- and long-term storage: The company has storage facilities up and down the East Coast. BMS can store items in standard or climate-controlled units for however long storage is needed. BMS customers can store their belongings in specialized storage facilities that are carefully kept between 55-80 degrees Fahrenheit with 30–50% humidity to preserve items.
- Cleaning services: Bold Moving and Storage takes its services to the next level by offering specialized cleaning services. Bold Movers have the proper equipment to clean homes and apartments, leaving them spotless for the next owner or tenant while minimizing your to-do list on moving day.
- Auto transport: BMS can ship vehicles to customers’ front doors. They’ll find a suitable drop-off location nearby when this isn’t possible.
- Moving valuation: BMS’s standard moving valuation is $0.60 per pound per item, but you can upgrade your coverage to full-value coverage with or without a deductible.
Ross had a little snafu on his moving day when he remembered his moving representative telling him he had full-value coverage without a deductible. On moving day, he found out he only had the basic protection plan.
The miscommunication threw Ross off, but he decided not to purchase extra coverage because most of his fragile items would travel with him in his car.
Cindy and Alan also opted for basic coverage even though they had a lot of antiques. In the end, Cindy was so thrilled with BMS’s services and communication that she rated them five out of five stars, citing their accurate estimate, efficiency, and overall convenience.
Bold Moving and Storage and its services are growing with the moving industry. Virtual estimates became necessary during the pandemic but created a new opportunity for convenience.
How Bold Moving and Storage stacks up against the competition
Like Ross, Cindy, and Allan did their due diligence by requesting quotes from multiple moving companies.
Cindy’s quote included door-to-door transportation, loading and unloading labor, basic valuation, and all expected taxes and fees, but she wanted to pack her items independently.
Each company quoted her move size differently, but sometimes moving companies use that to lure customers in before tacking on charges after the move.
Two Men and a Truck
903 cubic feet
Bold Moving and Storage
Cindy and Alan experienced sticker shock with all the quotes, but she went with BMS because the customer service representative was knowledgeable and professional.
Even though BMS didn’t provide the cheapest quote to Cindy or Ross, both customers were ultimately swayed by their comfort with the customer service team.
As the day of the move approached, BMS kept Cindy’s mind at ease with proactive communication about the number of movers needed (it was four) and responsive deposit collection, which fell in line neatly with what she was quoted.
Cindy’s move went without a hitch, and she was impressed that they brought additional quilted blankets to protect her antiques.
BMS also contacted Ross multiple times before his move to confirm the times and what he could expect on moving day.
On the day of the move, Ross’s movers got stuck in traffic but called him before his original reservation passed.
When they arrived at noon (two hours after Ross’s original reservation window), Ross was impressed that the team packed his entire apartment in just two and a half hours.
Alan and Cindy’s belongings met them the next day when they arrived at their new home in North Carolina.
Ross’s belongings took 14 days, right in the middle of the delivery window BMS gave him.
How moving with Bold Moving and Storage works
Customers can request a free quote or book an appointment using the phone number provided on the company’s website. Customer service representatives guide customers throughout the moving process from scheduling to delivery.
Bold Moving and Storage offers a pricing guarantee. The carrier is confident in its services and will match the price of its competitors. Let this company show you why it’s one of the highest-rated moving companies on the East Coast.
Bold Moving and Storage also provides its customers with an on-time delivery guarantee. For an extra fee, customers can have their shipments prioritized and delivered on a specific date, regardless of the distance. Nonetheless, the shipping carrier uses its focused, regional experience to deliver your possessions on time.
Customers seem to recognize the shipping carrier’s dedication to quality customer service. Many people mentioned clear communication and professional handling when we dug through reviews and spoke with real-life customers like Ross and Cindy, many people mentioned clear communication and professional handling. Those who used the virtual estimate option are particularly impressed by its accuracy.
Bold Moving and Storage is perfect for people relocating from one East Coast town to another
Overall, we highly recommend Bold Moving and Storage for East Coast moves, but they may offer specialized options for long-distance and cross-country moves. Cindy, Alan, and Ross were willing to opt for the most expensive quote they received because BMS’s customer service experience stood out above the rest.
Even though Cindy and Alan’s move was grueling–given they drove all 370 miles and met their belongings at their new home the next day–the couple still spoke highly of BMS‘s efficiency, thoughtfulness, and reliable communication.
Ross’s items arrived on time, even though his move was in the peak summer season. A few of his items sustained minor damage–a mini fridge had a small dent, a locking nut for the bed frame was missing, and a few boxes were crushed (but all items inside were fine)–but he didn’t feel this damage was necessary to repair.
Even though it’s still new to the industry, BMS stands out for providing high-quality climate-controlled storage and moving solutions that justify its higher pricing than some competitors.
We recommend you cross-check your moving costs against our cost calculator to find the best options. To compare BMS’s services to the competition, look at our round-up of the best interstate moving companies.
Is it safe to hire Bold Moving and Storage?
Yes, it is safe to hire Bold Moving and Storage. However, we recommend asking questions and comparing quotes to make sure it’s the right fit for your needs. Because Bold Moving and Storage maintains a strong, positive reputation with customers and specializes in interstate moves, you can be confident your belongings are safe.
What is Bold Moving and Storage’s contact information?
What forms of payment does Bold Moving and Storage accept?
Bold Moving and Storage accepts various forms of payment, including all major credit cards, checks, cash, and even Venmo. You can also confirm the payment schedule with your customer service representative so you know what to expect and how to submit payment.
Can Bold Moving and Storage move on weekends?
Yes, Bold Moving and Storage can move on weekends. The company provides moving services seven days a week so you can move on your schedule.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!