Alabama. The land of low cost of living, tasty southern comfort food, bountiful recreational opportunities, and top-notch college football . It’s very easy to see why you’d want to move there.
Surely if you’re looking to move to Alabama, you know all of this but… How much does it cost to move to Alabama?
That’s a far less known fact that you need to know if you’re moving to Alabama.
Fortunately, you’re here. We’re going to break down how much it generally costs to move to Alabama.
Of course, it’s crucial to get a personalized quote for your move. For that, take a look at our moving cost calculator.
So… How Much Does it Cost to Move to Alabama?
The following prices are what you might expect to pay a professional moving company to move your items to Alabama.
|Home Size||Avg. Total Cost||Cost/hour||# of Movers||# Hours|
|Studio||$538||$183||2 movers||3 hours|
|1 Bedroom||$720||$183||2 movers||4 hours|
|2 Bedroom||$1,122||$256||3 movers||5 hours|
|3 Bedroom||$2,503||$358||4 movers||8 hours|
|4 Bedroom||$2,861||$358||4 movers||9 hours|
|5+ Bedroom||$4,365||$501||5 movers||10 hours|
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Factors for your move
Before we get into the actual figures, it’s important that we touch on the main contributing factors that are going to affect the cost of your move to Alabama.
- Size of your move: The more things you move, the more the move is going to cost. You’ll want to make sure that you’re only bringing with you those things that you truly want to have in Alabama.
- Distance of the move: How far you are moving is another thing that is going to affect the cost of the relocation. The further the move, the higher the cost.
- Type of move: You have four main options for your move. A full-service moving company, renting a moving truck, getting a moving container, and hiring a freight trailer. We will break these down further in the article.
- Add-on services: Generally speaking, the more you do yourself the less the move is going to cost you. However, it can be nice to have professionals do your packing and unpacking for you. That’s going to cost a little extra.
- Time of the year: Moving in the summer can cost from 20-30% more! Relocating when moving companies have less demand will certainly bring your costs down.
How much does it cost to live in Alabama?
- The cost index in Alabama is 89. This means it’s about 11% less expensive than the national average.
- The average rent in Alabama for a one-bedroom apartment is $792 which is 40.27% lower than the national average.
- The average home value in Alabama is $194,371 which is about 45.41% less expensive than the national average.
- The average income in Alabama is $52,035 which is about 19.94% lower than the national average.
What are your moving options?
Hire a Professional Moving Company
Hiring a professional mover to move to Alabama will cost the most money but will require the least amount of work.
Below is a list of the best companies to hire for your move.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
Best customer service
Get A Quote
Other Moving to Alabama options
- Rent a Moving Truck: This is your typical rental from a company like U-Haul. This will require the most amount of work but is the cheapest option.
- Rent a Moving Container: The pricing is a little more than a rental truck but less than a professional mover. This is a great option if you need storage with your move.
- Use Freight Shipping: An option for cross-country moves.
How do I ship a car to Alabama?
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move. Here are the top shippers:
|Montway Auto Transport||Best Overall Value||
|Ship A Car Direct||Best Insurance Coverage||
|Easy Auto Ship||Best for Quick Pick Up||
Things to Know about your move
Although cost is certainly important, there are other factors that you should consider about your move.
- State Licensing: To ensure that in-state movers operate safely and reliably, moving companies in Alabama must have a registration number issued by the Alabama Public Service Commission (APSC).
- Mover's Insurance: Movers assume liability at 60 cents (or less) per-pound per item. Thus, a lightweight five-pound item valued at $500 only pays out $3, if it's lost or damaged. Some moving companies offer expanded valuations, such as declared value or lump sum value protection, which offers a step up from released value protection. You may inquire about these options with your preferred moving company.
- Weather: Alabama has one of the hottest summers in the US and mild winters with copious amounts of precipitation throughout the year. Areas around the Gulf in Alabama are prone to tropical storms and hurricanes. Alabama also has tornado activity, which typically occurs in the spring It would be a good idea to check for tornado activity in the area you are looking to move to.
What is the cheapest way to move to Alabama?
Consider the particularities of your move. For some people, it’s cheaper to rent a moving container, but for others, it makes more sense to hire a professional moving company. To get the best idea of which option is best for you, we have a moving cost calculator that will give you a free, personalized, and instant quote.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!