Moving from Columbus, OH to California: Movers and Cost
Quick Answer: The cost to move from Columbus, OH to California averages from $1,495 to $8,097 depending on how much you’re moving, your move date, and whether you hire a company or do the move yourself. Hiring movers will be on the more expensive side. Renting a truck or renting a moving container is usually cheaper but requires more work.
Moving the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Moving from California to Columbus, OH guide.
In this article, we’ll lay out everything you need to know for your upcoming move to California. But first, here are a few resources if you need immediate answers:
- Best Columbus, OH to California movers: We’ve handpicked the best moving companies from Columbus to California.
- How much will your move cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate on moving costs.
- Consider moving containers: Need a more budget-friendly option? With these companies, you load and they drive! These are the best moving container companies.
- Columbus, OH to California car shippers: Moving your car? Use a company that prioritizes professionalism, cares for your vehicle, and is experienced.
Moving 2,366 miles is no joke. Here's what you need to know.
How much does it cost to move from Columbus, OH to California?
Here are average prices to hire a moving company, rent a moving container, or rent a moving truck:
|Move Size||Moving Company||Moving Container||Rental Truck|
|Studio / 1 Bedroom||$1,371 - $5,600||$1,321 - $3,280||$1,381 - $2,671|
|2 - 3 bedrooms||$3,855 - $8,097||$2,347 - $4,866||$1,495 - $3,180|
|4+ bedrooms||$7,243 - $12,522||$3,227 - $6,601||$1,889 - $3,899|
*These price ranges are a rough estimate based on 2,366 miles and historical averages. The actual size of your move, additional services required, truck parking access, market conditions, and availability can greatly affect the final cost of your move.
The cost to move from Columbus, OH to California will depend on:
- Move size: 5 bedroom homes are more expensive to move than 1 bedroom apartments.
- Time of year: Summer is busy season so moving companies charge more.
- Do-it-yourself vs Professional Mover: DIY moving services are usually cheaper but involve more work and stress.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Pick from the Best Columbus to California Movers
Hiring a moving company is a big deal.
We’ve researched over 500 interstate moving companies, cross-referencing verified customer reviews, license data, insurance data, and federal complaint records to find you the best long distance moving companies in the industry.
If you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment worth of stuff or more, these are the best full service moving companies.
Best Overall Value
Get A Quote
American Van Lines
Best industry reputation
Get A Quote
International Van Lines
Best customer service
Get A Quote
If you’re just trying to ship a few items, here’s a list of our recommended services for small moves.
How much does it cost to hire movers from Columbus, OH to California?
To ship furniture from Columbus to California with a mover will cost between $1,371 to $5,600. The cost to move a 2 to 3 bedroom home from The Arch City to CA will range from $3,855 to $8,097, and a large move from Columbus to California will cost from $7,243 to $12,522.
How much are moving containers like PODS from Columbus, OH to California?
Moving pods from Columbus to California will cost you $1,321 to $3,280 for a small move. For a 2 to 3 bedroom move, moving containers can cost $2,347 to $4,866. A 4-bedroom move or bigger will cost $3,227 to $6,601.
How much is a moving truck from Columbus, OH to California?
A moving rental truck is generally the cheapest option, but it requires you to do all of the driving and labor; these estimates include the estimated fuel cost:
Moving a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in a rental truck will cost around $1,381 to $2,671. A larger move will cost $1,495 to $3,180, and a 4+ bedroom move from Columbus to California costs from $1,889 to $3,899.
How to ship a car from Columbus, OH to California
Now that you've picked from the top movers for your belongings, it's time to choose an experienced and reputable Columbus to California car shipper.
Just like booking a reputable mover, professional car shippers will apply know-how and experience to make sure that your car makes it unscathed during this long-distance move.
The type of transport you choose and the size of the vehicle will influence the final price of shipping your car. Learn more about car shipping costs.
Is moving from Columbus, OH to California a good idea?
If you’re moving to California from Columbus, OH, you’ll want to compare what life will be like.
Cost of Living: Columbus, OH vs California
|Average rent cost||$912||$1,503|
|Average home cost||$223,836||$758,360|
|Average income (per capita)||$60,205||$78,672|
|State Income Tax||3.99%||13.3%|
California sources: World Population Review, US Census Bureau, US BLS, Tax Foundation
- Rent is about 73% more expensive in California than in Columbus.
- Home prices are about 272.4% higher in California than in Columbus.
- The average income is about 32.6% higher in California than in Columbus.
- California has a higher unemployment rate than Columbus by about 2.2%.
- Income taxes are 233.33% higher in California than in Columbus.
How is life different in Columbus, OH from California?
|Political leaning||Democrat 65-33||Democratic 63-34|
California sources: US Census Bureau, 270TOWIN, BestPlaces
- The population of California is approximately 4,232% greater than the population of Columbus.
- In the last presidential election, California voted Democratic and Columbus voted Democrat.
- The average high in the summertime in California is 87ºF and in Columbus, it’s 85ºF.
- During the coldest part of the year, California reaches the temperature of 59ºF and Columbus gets down to 21ºF.
- You can expect about 22 inches of annual rainfall in California vs 40 inches of rainfall in Columbus.
- In California, it snows about 7 inches annually vs 22 inches of snow in Columbus.
- California has a lower crime rate than Columbus with a crime index of 37.49 vs 25.7.
Comparing the pros of Columbus, OH vs. California:
There are always a lot of reasons to get excited about living somewhere new. These are the best parts of living in Columbus vs California side-by-side.
|Pros of living in Columbus, OH||Pros of living in California|
|Low cost of living||Ample economic opportunity|
|Delicious food||Pleasant weather|
|Bountiful arts and recreational activities||Abundant recreational options|
|Friendly people||High quality of life|
|Ample economic opportunity||Fresh and healthy foods|
Comparing the cons of living in Columbus, OH vs. California:
Not everything is sunshine and rainbows, these are the things to be aware of when leaving Columbus for California.
|Cons of living in Columbus, OH||Cons of living in California|
|Bad drivers||High cost of living|
|Terrible traffic||Heavy tax burdens|
|Bad weather||Natural disasters|
|High taxes||Terrible traffic|
|Limited public transportation||Strange laws|
Considerations for moving to California
- Weather: California has a great Mediterranean climate throughout most of the state. In the Southeast, you may experience colder winters and hotter summers. The northern part of California experiences more rain than the rest of the state. Before your move be sure to check for rain or very hot days..
- HOA Rules: Check ahead with any neighborhood or community rules on moving to ensure a smooth move.
- Elevator Reservation: If your building has an elevator you’ll want to check on how to reserve it for move day.
- Truck Parking Permits: Some cities require parking permits for large vehicles and moving trucks. Find out if you need any parking permits ahead of time.
- State Licensing: When contacting a local moving company for an estimate in California, make sure each has a “T Number” issued by the California Public Utilities Commission (CAPUC). Moving companies with valid T Numbers have met state requirements for insurance, safety, and financial stability and have passed criminal clearance checks conducted by the California Department of Justice. Make sure the moving company you use has a license before hiring.
- State Regulator: You can verify a California moving license and its status on the state regulator's official website.
- Moving Permits: California does not require any moving permits, but it is helpful to check local parking restrictions before moving into the state.
- Change of Address: We recommend submitting your change of address form with USPS at least a week prior to your move. You can set an official move date on the form and this way all of your mail will get properly forward to . Get started here.
- Mover's Insurance: Every state has their own requirements when it comes to insurance. Released Value Protection is the most economical option because it doesn’t cost anything. It is offered by movers at no additional charge, but the protection is minimal. Under this option, the mover is responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if your mover lost or damaged a 50 inch TV weighing 25 pounds, you would only receive $15 (60 cents x 25 pounds). If you need for the full value of your items to be covered, please consult with the moving company you're hiring for other options or a third-party insurance provider.
- Moving Checklist: Peace of mind is priceless. Our moving checklist will help you know you’ve got everything covered.
Looking for local Columbus movers?
|Get A Quote||
79 East Seventh Avenue, Columbus, OH, 43201
|MVM Moving & Storage||Get A Quote||
3979 Parkway Lane, Hilliard, OH, 43026
|All American Moving and Storage||Get A Quote||
2660 Fisher Road, Columbus, OH, 43204
Visit our Best Movers in Columbus page to see a complete list of moving companies, including hourly rates, services, and reviews.
What to do in California?
Whether you’re looking for parks, museums, sports, or even universities, you’ll be happy to find a plethora of these in California.
Museums in California
- The Getty Center
- USS Midway Museum
- Hess Persson Estates
- California State Railroad Museum
- The Getty Villa
- Griffith Observatory
- Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum
- Norton Simon Museum
- Mission San Luis Rey
- Tallac Historic Site
- Petersen Automotive Museum
- Original McDonald's Site and Museum
- Oakland Museum of California
- March Field Air Museum
- Donner Memorial State Park and Emigrant Trail Museum
Parks in California
- La Jolla Cove
- Heisler Park
- Sonoma Plaza
- Mount Rubidoux Park
- Redwood Regional Park
- MacKerricher State Park
- Tilden Regional Park
- Dinosaur Caves Park
- Greystone Mansion and Park
- Rancho San Antonio County Park
- Serra Cross Park
- Coyote Hills Regional Park
- Folsom Lake State Recreation Area
- Palisades Park
- Irvine Regional Park
Sports Teams in California
- Anaheim Ducks (NHL)
- Los Angeles Kings (NHL)
- San Jose Sharks (NHL)
- Los Angeles Angels (MLB)
- Los Angeles Dodgers (MLB)
- Oakland Athletics (MLB)
- San Diego Padres (MLB)
- San Francisco Giants (MLB)
- Los Angeles Chargers (NFL)
- Los Angeles Rams (NFL)
- San Francisco 49ers (NFL)
- Golden State Warriors (NBA)
- Los Angeles Clippers (NBA)
- Los Angeles Lakers (NBA)
- Sacramento Kings (NBA)
- LA Galaxy (MLS)
- Los Angeles FC (MLS)
- San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)
Universities in California
- Stanford University
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of California, Los Angeles
- University of Southern California
- University of California, San Diego
- University of California, Davis
- University of California, Irvine
- California Institute of Technology
- University of California, Santa Barbara
- University of California, Riverside
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- University of California, San Francisco
- San Diego State University
- California State University, Northridge
Where to move in California
Now that you've decided to make the move to "Golden State," these are the best cities in California to move to.
Most popular cities to move to in California:
- Apple Valley
- Chula Vista
- Long Beach
- Los Angeles
- Moreno Valley
Related articles to your move
Movers and cost
- Ohio to California
- Columbus to Los Angeles
- Columbus to San Diego
- Columbus to San Jose
- Columbus to San Francisco
- New York City to California
- Chicago to California
- Houston to California
- Phoenix to California
- Philadelphia to California
- San Antonio to California
- Dallas to California
- Austin to California
- Jacksonville to California
- Fort Worth to California
Learn more about California
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!