Here’s the bottom line: Authority Moving Experts (AME) is a full-service moving company that specializes in moving household items, whether you are relocating locally or across the country. AME also offers additional services like packing and auto transport services.
Authority Moving Experts is a moving broker that offers a variety of moving services nationwide in the continental United States. Because they are a broker, when you book a move with AME, they give you a quote, then coordinate your move with another carrier within their network of moving partners.
Many customers in the northeast portion of the United States rave about AME’s inexpensive local moving services, but they don’t offer many long-distance moving options when compared to other moving companies. AME’s website isn’t very clear about the services they offer, but interested movers can always give the company a call for more information.
AME is a newer moving broker, and they don’t have any moving trucks of their own, which means the customer service representative you will speak with won’t actually be involved in your move beyond the booking process. AME currently has an overall rating of C- on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website.
While AME might be an affordable option for a move within the colonial states, we recommend those moving long-distance take a look at our list of best long-distance moving companies, as companies that are licensed and registered as both a carrier and a broker tend to offer more options for a long distance move.
Read on to see if AME is the right choice for your move.
Are you moving outside of the colonial states? AME won’t be your best choice. Instead, consider one of our long-distance moving companies.Learn More
Pros & cons of moving with Authority Moving Experts
- Handles both local and long-distance moving options
- Offers auto transport services
- Offers full-service moving solutions like packing services and furniture assembly
- Customers can get a free quote easily on their website
- Storage options are available
- AME is a moving broker only, so the people booking your move aren’t the ones performing your move.
- Long-distance moves may take longer than other long-distance moving companies because AME has to wait for another company to have a truck available to move your items.
- Authority Moving Experts (USDOT#3403492) provides full-service long-distance and local moves at a variety of prices.
- They offer packing and unpacking services, though the availability of their services can vary depending on your location.
- They provide free quotes, but their website doesn’t have a lot of information, so you may need to call customer service to book a complicated move.
Jump to the Authority Moving Experts info you’re looking for:
- Authority Moving Experts pricing: How much it costs to move
- Authority Moving Experts offers a wide variety of services
- How Authority Moving Experts stacks up against the competition
- How moving with Authority Moving Experts works
- Authority Moving Experts is perfect for people who…
Authority Moving Experts pricing: How much it costs to move
The cost to move with Authority Moving Experts varies based on a wide variety of factors. Because AME is a moving broker, once they give you a free quote, they will look for another carrier to facilitate your move before offering a binding quote.
The final price of your move will depend on your move date, how many household goods you are moving, the distance of your move, and additional services you want to book. An interstate move from Texas to Washington, for example, will cost far more than an in-state move.
Because some customer reviews on BBB mention inaccurate quote information, you might find it more helpful to skip the online free quote tool and speak directly with an AME representative to get an idea of how much your move will cost.
AME frequently gives lower initial quotes than their competitors, but once all the fees and service charges are added, the final cost is about the same as higher-end companies like JK Moving and Safeway Moving.
Check out our moving cost calculator to evaluate quotes from AME alongside other companies. Just ensure you call AME for a more accurate up to date quote before deciding whether or not to book their services.
How Much do Movers Cost?
Get instant ballpark pricing. No email or phone required. It's fast, free, and easy.
Authority Moving Experts offers a wide variety of services
- Local moves: Moving services with AME are fully customizable, including packing, unpacking, and moving supplies. Crating of oversized items is available to ensure safe arrival at the destination. Moving teams are often available for last-minute moving projects on short notice.
- Long-distance moves: AME offers interstate moves in the contiguous USA. They do not service Alaska or Hawaii, and they don’t offer international moves.
- Commercial moving: Large and small companies may benefit from their professional moving and relocation services.
- Military moves: AME can help you move from one side of the country to the other when your orders change.
- Specialty moves: Specialty items may include pianos, antiques, and various oversized pieces. Custom packaging services are available for glass-top table units and other fragile items.
- Secure storage: In-transit storage is a standard option for the short term, while storage in secured facilities is available for movers who need long-term storage.
- Packing and supplies: AME provides professional packing services as part of its full-service moving program. Breakable items are carefully wrapped, and clothing is placed into wardrobe cartons.
How Authority Moving Experts stacks up against the competition
Are you wondering how AME compares to American Van Lines and Safeway Moving, two of our best moving companies, known for their great service? Let’s take a closer look at some of the differences between these three companies.
Authority Moving Experts vs. American Van Lines
Both AME and American Van Lines (AVL) offer full-service moving options across the United States. Many American Van Lines customers like Jen report that working with AVL feels like working with family.
89% of users select this mover
In Jen’s long-distance moving experience, AVL moved her items faster than expected. While this caused a few unexpected difficulties for her, faster delivery seems to be preferred over delivery delays.
AME, on the other hand, could take longer than average to move items long distances because they have to wait until a truck with one of their partners is available to move your items. If you are moving and need your items on a certain day, you’ll want to mention this when you book with AME.
Both AME and AVL customers say they ended up paying more than expected for their move.
Authority Moving Experts vs. Safeway Moving
Like Authority Moving Experts, Safeway is also a full-service moving company. However, Safeway primarily helps with long-distance moves and is extremely limited in its local moving capabilities. Those who need to make a move of 50 miles or less should choose AME or another local moving company over Safeway.
89% of users select this mover
Safeway will match competitor pricing, and the company throws in 30 days of free storage with every move. AME does not offer price-matching and, while they do offer storage options, they come at an extra cost.
Unfortunately, Safeway does not offer online quotes like AME does. Although the Safeway quote process requires a call and an in-person or virtual walkthrough, the estimate you do get is much more accurate and in-depth than those AME provides on its website.
Additionally, Safeway provides 24/7 customer service, while AME customer service is only available during normal business hours.
|Company||BBB score||State availability||Local moves?||Long-distance moves?||Customer service|
|Authority Moving Experts||C-||48 (not in AL or HI)||Yes||Yes||Business hours; emergency-only 24/7|
|American Van Lines||A||50||Yes||Yes||Business hours; emergency-only 24/7 line|
How moving with Authority Moving Experts works
Authority Moving Experts boasts an stress-free and low-cost moving experience on their website. Let’s look at what that experience actually looks like.
Getting a quote
You can get a free quote for your move in minutes on AME’s website, amemovingandstorage.com. This initial quote is not binding, though, and you will need to provide your contact information or call the phone number on the website before you can receive a binding quote.
During this phone call, you can let AME know what services you would like included in your move, and you’ll want to provide as much information as you can to ensure the quote you are given is as accurate as possible.
Once you receive a binding quote, you will need to use a credit card to place a non-refundable deposit to book your move. AME does not specify the deposit amount on its website, so be sure to ask about this during your call.
Booking and moving
AME is a moving broker only, so about a week before your move, they should contact you with details about the company performing your move. They will also confirm at this time how long your move will take.
On your moving date, the moving company will arrive at your home, and if you booked packing services, they will begin to pack your belongings and load them in the truck. If you choose to pack on your own, then ensure all your items are packed before the truck arrives.
Movers will load your belongings in the truck, listing them on a bill of lading. Once everything is loaded, you’ll get a receipt and your items will begin your journey to your new home.
AME does not have a shipment tracking app, but you can ask the company handling your move if they offer any tracking. You can also call AME customer service during business hours to receive updates.
For long-distance moves, you will receive a call from the carrier 2-3 days before they plan to deliver your items. Because AME is a broker, it is common for your items to be put into storage until a truck headed for your new home is available.
When the truck arrives at your new home, items will be unloaded and unpacked based on the package you booked. At this time, you will need to pay for the move in full if you haven’t done so already.
Authority Moving Experts is perfect for people who are moving locally
Authority Moving Experts is ideal for those making local moves, particularly within the colonial states. While AME does offer long-distance moves, their offered options don’t measure up to other long-distance moving companies.
Want more options to move locally? Check out our guide to the best local moving companies.Learn More
AME is also perfect for customers who:
- Don’t mind if delivery takes longer in exchange for a lower price
- Want a full-service move in which someone handles all the packing and unpacking
- Are OK with a third-party agent handling their move
AME is headquartered in New Jersey, and customers in the state have many more move options than those who move across the country in states like California or Nevada.
AME is a moving broker with fewer options than some other moving companies. If you truly want to customize your move to fit a certain timeline or add certain services, you will likely be happier booking a different moving company.
Here at moveBuddha, we want every move to go smoothly, which is why we recommend choosing a moving carrier or carrier/broker combination for long distance moves. Working with a carrier eliminates some unpredictable variables and allows for more move customization.
We recommend that those making an interstate move take a look at our best interstate movers to find a moving company to make your move a success.
What are the advantages of a full-service moving company?
Using a full-service moving company like Authority Moving Experts can help take the stress out of your move. Rather than needing to pack your stuff and load and drive a truck yourself, AME pairs you with a company that will do it all for you.
Is AME legit?
AME is a legitimate company registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The company is not a scam. However, based on our research, the company does display some potential red flags, based on the DOT complaints over the last several years.
Is it normal for a moving company to ask for a deposit?
Many moving companies require deposits, especially when booking a binding quote. There are, however, some companies that don’t require any payment until delivery. AME does require a non-refundable deposit to book every move, although the amount of that deposit is not specified and may vary depending on the specific details of your relocation.
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!