Quick Answer: The average cost to ship a car the 2781 miles from New York to Washington ranges from $1,634 to $2,564 and takes 7-15 days.
Shipping a car the reverse route? We’ve got you covered with our Washington to New York car shipping guide.
The average cost to ship a car from New York to Washington
Because the distance between New York to Washington is about 2781 miles, it’ll take from 7 to 15 days to complete your car shipment.
Cost to ship a car from New York City, NY to Washington
- New York City to Seattle: $1,668 to $2,633
- New York City to Spokane: $1,536 to $2,421
- New York City to Tacoma: $1,668 to $2,633
- New York City to Kennewick: $1,634 to $2,564
- New York City to Marysville: $1,668 to $2,633
Cost to ship a car from Buffalo, NY to Washington
- Buffalo to Seattle: $1,598 to $2,493
- Buffalo to Spokane: $1,520 to $2,420
- Buffalo to Tacoma: $1,598 to $2,493
- Buffalo to Kennewick: $1,519 to $2,435
- Buffalo to Marysville: $1,598 to $2,493
Cost to ship a car from Yonkers, NY to Washington
- Yonkers to Seattle: $1,668 to $2,633
- Yonkers to Spokane: $1,536 to $2,421
- Yonkers to Tacoma: $1,668 to $2,633
- Yonkers to Kennewick: $1,634 to $2,564
- Yonkers to Marysville: $1,668 to $2,633
Cost to ship a car from Rochester, NY to Washington
- Rochester to Seattle: $1,598 to $2,493
- Rochester to Spokane: $1,520 to $2,420
- Rochester to Tacoma: $1,598 to $2,493
- Rochester to Kennewick: $1,536 to $2,421
- Rochester to Marysville: $1,598 to $2,493
Cost to ship a car from Albany, NY to Washington
- Albany to Seattle: $1,668 to $2,633
- Albany to Spokane: $1,598 to $2,493
- Albany to Tacoma: $1,668 to $2,633
- Albany to Kennewick: $1,634 to $2,564
- Albany to Marysville: $1,701 to $2,727
Shipping an SUV or Truck from New York to Washington
Since vehicles such as SUV, trucks, and vans are larger and heavier, it’s a bit more expensive to ship them than a sedan. How much more?
If you’re shipping a larger vehicle from New York to Washington you should expect to pay between $2,043 and $3,205.
Factors that affect the price of shipping a car from New York to Washington
- Open Carrier or Enclosed Trailer – Most new cars from ports and factories are moved on open auto carriers, while race cars, vintage collector’s cars, and high-dollar luxury cars get enclosed transport. If you’re not sure, check out our guide comparing open vs enclosed car shipping.
- Time of the year – Due to demand, prices to ship your car from New York to Washington tend to be a little higher in the summer.
- Size, Weight, and Type of Vehicle – The larger and heavier your vehicle, the more shipping your car to Washington will cost.
- Delivery Expectations – Because it’ll make their job easier, your auto shipper may give you a pricing discount if you’re flexible on delivery dates. That being said, getting your car from New York to Washington should take between 7 and 15 days.
- Pick up and Drop-Off Options – Instead of door-to-door service, consider taking your vehicle to the nearest company terminal in New York and having it delivered to the one closest to your new home in Washington. It’s more work for you, but it could save you a bundle.
Resources for Shipping a Car from New York to Washington
The following resources can help with you shipping your car from New York to Washington:
- The best car shipping companies: Don’t run the risk of using an unreliable company to transport your car from New York to Washington. Using the right company can save you many headaches.
- Best New York to Washington movers: Moving too? We’ve handpicked the best moving companies between New York and Washington.
- How much do movers cost?: Use our moving calculator to get a more accurate estimate of moving costs.
- New York to Washington movers & costs: Everything you should know about moving from New York to Washington.
Stick around for more details on costs, tips, and New York car shippers you should use.
The best New York to Washington car shippers
A good car shipping company should cover the basics. These are the things to look out for in a quality transport company:
- Insurance: Make sure the insurance covers both the company and the hauler the company contracts with to ship the car.
- Experience: Look for a company that has multiple years of experience and a good track record.
- Shipping options: Good car shipping companies will offer open and closed transport, expedited delivery, shipment tracking, and more.
- Added Perks: Damage coverage, no initial deposits, rental car assistance, free car wash, and guaranteed pricing are some additional options great car shippers offer.
How car shipping from New York to Washington works
- After you’ve received your quote, book your vehicle transport from New York to Washington.
- Once booked, you’ll schedule your vehicle to be picked up in New York where it will be loaded onto the carrier.
- Your vehicle will be safely unloaded from the carrier in Washington on your delivery date.
What else should you know about shipping a car from New York to Washington?
- Car Insurance requirements: The minimum liability coverage required in Washington is $25,000 for bodily injury per individual, $50,000 for total bodily injury in case of an accident, and $10,000 for property damage in case of an accident.
- Vehicle Inspection: In the state of Washington, there are no annual safety inspections, however, vehicles must still comply with strict Clean Car standards.
- Driver’s License: To register your vehicle in Washington, obtaining a Washington driver's license is necessary. This must be done within 30 days of relocating to the state. If you have a valid driver's license from another state, the process of obtaining a Washington license is straightforward and only requires proof of residency in the state, without the need for any additional exams.
- Additional Taxes: If you have obtained and utilized a "private motor vehicle" in another state for more than 90 days prior to relocating to Washington, you are exempt from paying Washington's use tax.
Alternative ways to ship your car from New York to Washington
- Drive it yourself: Straightforward but not always an option and it will put about 2781 miles on your car going from New York to Washington. If you’re not sure, here are the pros and cons of driving your car vs shipping it.
- Ship it with your movers: If you hire a moving company, they also work with reputable car shippers. Otherwise, there may be the option of even shipping your car with your household belongings!
- Hire a driver: Hire someone to drive the car from New York to Washington for you. It’s an option…
- Ship by train: If this is an option for you, it’s an affordable and secure way of shipping your vehicle. Shipping a car by train is actually the cheapest way to ship your car!
Learn more with our car shipping checklist
Shipping Your Car from New York to Washington FAQs
Does someone have to be present when picking up my car in New York and when dropping off my car in Washington?
Most companies will require someone that is at least 18-years-old to be present when picking up your car in New York and when dropping it off in Washington.
Do you need car insurance when shipping your car from New York to Washington?
If you’re not driving the vehicle from New York to Washington, it’s not required to have typical car insurance. Your car hauler should have adequate insurance if an accident happened on the drive to Washington, which you should verify before loading your car in New York.
How long does it take to ship a car from New York to Washington?
Car shipping companies can travel about 500 miles per day. With the trip from New York to Washington being about 2781 miles, that’s as fast as about 6 days. But most car transporting companies will take 7-15 days to go from New York to Washington.